KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews about "hour"

Updated Jun 23, 2022

Found 23 of over 2,425 reviews

3.7
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
1,253 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The pay is good and the monthly bonuses are a plus but inconsistent at best.(in 203 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and product to promote to customers.Training is available.(in 164 reviews)
  • "Great people and fun to work at.(in 107 reviews)
  • "You receive a small portion of time off on each paycheck depending on the hours you work.(in 82 reviews)
  • "Some great coworkers they gave me a job(in 48 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Harbor Freight Tools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "hour"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee

warehouse associate

Mar 14, 2016 - Warehouse Associate in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

warehouse team was fun to work with. great job for students. easy interview. you meet a lot of cool people in trades and business owners so working here can be your stepping stone in finding a better job/career. don't need a GED. if you like to party and talk trash to your coworkers while you work this is the spot for you.

Cons

$9 an hour is low pay. even if you move up you still wont make very much. low hours, 20 hours a week if your lucky, you wont get more if you ask. their is not motivation to move up the supervisors were on making 11 an hour. HR called me by mistake didn't even ask my name, they thought i was eric who was telling on someone about how he was getting picked on. so basically hr called me and let me know who is snitching on people btw i had already quit the job a week before the call.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback, as you may remember Harbor Freight Tools is committed to continuously improving our processes and we will make sure to share your feedback with the appropriate team members. Over the past few years we have made some big changes to the way we operate and how we recognize our associates and we have more to do and hope you will take a minute to learn about the changes we have made at Harbor Freight Tools. We invite you to visit our career site at www.harborfreightjobs.com.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

smh

Dec 30, 2018 - Sales Associate in Jefferson City, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

they love the customer no matter what.

Cons

Was never given a break or lunch even when i worked 12 hour shifts. Did not honor the agreement with me to have my hours a certain way so i could do school. Promised me 40 hours when i agreed to join....ha at that they got me this time. Cut me an entire week off the schedule without talking to me.

Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We agree that delivering value and excellent customer service to the hardworking is what makes us stand out. Please know that we listen to all Associate feedback and will share your comments with the appropriate Associates to address these areas. We appreciate all your hard work in Jefferson City, and we wish you the best in your career.

3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic company. Negativity permeates the entire company from corporate to store level.

Aug 29, 2014 - Anonymous
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paid time off. Decent health benefits Hourly pay and a 40 hour work week for assistant managers Reasonable hours for the average store manager 45 to 50 hours.

Cons

One of the highest levels of turnover I have ever experienced in retail. Typical store staff consists of 15 to 18 employees. Store has turned over over 35 employees in a year. IT is always a challenge The company does not promote from within. So if you were not hired on as a position you want to stay in permanently and by permanently I mean 2 to 3 years which is the average tenure for most Harbor freight tools veteran do not be fooled by the talk of growth; Store managers and DM's are almost exclusively external hires. Company struggles to implement programs that can be effectively executed at the store level especially given the extremely tight labor budget. Name collection and merchandise management standard operating procedures are key examples where more than 70% of the stores across the company cannot comply to the expectations. There is a clear disconnect between the corporate and store level. The response to the company wide failure to execute unrealistic expectations is generally firing threats, fear and intimidation. I would have to echo the sentiments about HR written in several other reviews, the HR hotline is far from anonymous. It is a Commonplace practice to hire store managers from external companies and this can lead in some unfortunate cases to a dangerous mix of arrogance and incompetence. Store managers aren't offered a lot of training, they often receive as little as two weeks training. Often times to compensate for the lack of knowledge there's a lot of grandstanding to show you who's boss that is counterproductive given the small staffs and tight budget everyone really has to use their time wisely and work as a cohesive team. The store managers job description is extremely vague. They have a lot of rights and very little if any direct responsibilities and often end up functioning exclusively as a in-house critic. Assistant managers please negotiate your salary very well as you will be expected to do any and every task related to store operations often with little support from your GM. The companies labor budget makes it difficult to retain and keep quality employee. The company gives minimal training and expects top-notch quality and production from associates that are given as little as five hours a week. The company culture rates high on the toxicity level. • Power struggles and power plays are common and ongoing. • Management egos need to be stroked on a regular basis. • because of tight labor budget that it seems That Executives are primarily focused on fattening their purses. • Often times people only talk to their store managers/DM if they absolutely have to. • The store has a small management staff but because of the negativity everyone is often at war with each other. • To say Management pays more attention to what employees do wrong than what they do right is an extreme understatement. • Employees spend a lot of energy on CYA activities. • Problems automatically trigger the search for a scapegoat. • Gossip, put-downs, blaming, and backbiting are common • Upper management have a “my way or the highway” attitude and seldom help one another. Advice

5 people found this review helpful

HR Liason

Thank you for your feedback. We agree, Harbor Freight's health and vacation benefits are very competitive and we're pleased you acknowledged them. We also appreciate your candor, but are concerned about some of the points you've made. It's important to Harbor Freight that the work environment is positive and productive for everyone. That being said, we assure you that your communications are private and we urge you to reach out to your HR representative or call the HFT Outlet Hotline at 1-800-693-8377 so we can have a constructive discussion and address all your concerns. Thank you.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee

Product Support

Nov 28, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Time goes by fast, people are friendly, PTO request are approved

Cons

You have to deal with irate customers from the east of the USA. The pay can be better than 14.00 an hour, managers dont really promote you.

Employment Branding Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. Harbor Freight Tools is committed to training and promoting internally, and we appreciate your feedback on this. We wish you the best of luck on your career journey!

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome company to work for always have something to do always busy at all times.

Jan 17, 2015 - Warehouse Associate in Downey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers great management cool environment to work in..paid holidays vacation and sick time.

Cons

Short breaks only 1 10 minute in 8 hour shift..

6. 3.0
    Current Employee

Logistics manager

May 14, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty good pay rate. Hours are store being opened. Good TO hour which our time off hours. Decent bonus if you hit metric.

Cons

They expect to much and only giving store 3% in payroll, we can do 13k average in 1 day and 7-11 has more employees working in the store on there shift. Bonus like ESP are really hard to get. Same with ITC. The company wants to be customer friendly, friendly available and quick, but has 3 people scheduled, 2 on the reg and 1 manager doing all the loading and trying to help 30 customers on the floor.

2 people found this review helpful

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for all you and the team do to make Harbor Freight Tools a great place to work and shop. As you know we are committed to constantly improving our processes and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we will make sure to share it with the appropriate team members. We appreciate your hard work and dedication to helping Harbor Freight Tools deliver value to the hardworking.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible Store

Jan 2, 2021 - Logistics (Stocking) in Columbia, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay after raise, but not enough hours at all

Cons

No air conditioning unit in my store even in the summer. excessive dust and horrible truck organization. bad management and sometimes 12 hour work weeks

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We would not be able to achieve all that we do without hardworking associates like you. At Harbor Freight, our goal is to be a great place to work and that means listening to our associates every step of the way and improving at all levels, including management. Your feedback helps us do that. In terms of hours, we provide our team with visibility to their schedule at least two weeks in advance. If our associates have any concerns regarding their schedules, we highly encourage them to reach out to their managers and connect with them. We will share your comments with the appropriate HR partners. Thank you for your time at Columbia, SC and best of luck in your career journey!

8. 3.0
    Current Employee

pay good... but biased

Oct 22, 2020 - Senior Logistics Specialist in Lafayette, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

good pay at $14 per hour Flexible scheduling Decent leadership

Cons

makes you do everything with a script Management doesn't uphold standards To get anywhere you have to be a favorite

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and for your continued hard work in Lafayette, IN. Harbor Freight is dedicated to Doing the Right Thing, meaning we treat everyone fairly, reasonably and with respect. We also believe in Continuous Improvement at all levels, including management. We encourage any associate with questions or concerns regarding their team to reach out to their HR partners for additional support. We will share your comments with the appropriate HR associate. We’re glad to have you on the team and appreciate all that you do!

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Warehouse Acc

Dec 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at harbor freight, the things they sell are cool, great environment and co workers. Its the most complete job for starters and students because you learn customer service, ruining the register, and warehouse experience altogether. You can make extra money on the register also. The schedule is very flexible, a good thing for students.

Cons

I love my manager along with the co workers but darn $8 an hour for what we do is not worth it. At least $10-12.

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fast Growth, little chance to survive

Nov 17, 2014 - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay scale for management is fair. The company is growing at the rate of 50 stores per year. There is opportunity to grow with the company.

Cons

I spite of the preaching to improve work/life balance, there really isn't any for the store manager. Core hour for store managers are 47.5 per week, but most weeks it will be more like 55 to 60. There are so many special events each year that require extra hours to be worked. The company has an average of 5.2% labor for the year. I know of stores that were forced to work with less than 4.8%. That means managers spend most of their time doing rather than managing. Managers have little power to uphold return policies, because if the customer calls corporate, the manager must do the return and apologize to the customer, and give them a gift card for 10 to 50 dollars for their trouble. District managers work with store managers that will suck up to them, but will turn their backs on the managers who won't play their power games.

8 people found this review helpful