KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews about "management"

Updated Jun 23, 2022

Found 644 of over 2,425 reviews

3.7
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
1,253 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The pay is good and the monthly bonuses are a plus but inconsistent at best.(in 203 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and product to promote to customers.Training is available.(in 164 reviews)
  • "Great people and fun to work at.(in 107 reviews)
  • "You receive a small portion of time off on each paycheck depending on the hours you work.(in 82 reviews)
  • "Some great coworkers they gave me a job(in 48 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Harbor Freight Tools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0

Decent company

Sep 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

I cant think of any pros aside from getting paid.

Cons

Management often looked to blame others and not take responsibility for problems that went on throughout the store.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We depend on all our associates to bring value to our hardworking customers and we’re grateful for all you do. Our goal is to be a great place to work by learning every step of the way and improving at all levels, including management. We encourage all our associates to reach out to their HR Partners to share their concerns and your comments will be shared with the appropriate HR Partners. Thank you for your hard work in Hackettstown, NJ and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

2. 4.0

Not a bad place

Jan 18, 2022 - Sales and Logistics Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to learn about tools and has decent upward mobility for people willing to work for it.

Cons

Customers feel very entitled a lot of the time and corporate management didn't seem very competent.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We depend on all our Associates to bring value to our hardworking customers and we’re grateful for all you do. We want you to know that your feedback is valuable as we strive to be the best place to work. We highly encourage our Associates to reach out to their HR Partners if they have any concerns to share. Thank you for your hard work and we wish you the best in your career journey!

3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Used to care about their people

Aug 14, 2021 - Sales Supervisor in Salem, NH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is decent going well above federal minimum

Cons

Store management and district/regional leadership don't care about their employees as the other reviews here suggested... I chose this job because of the sparkling reviews on here and have found in New England it couldn't be farther from the truth.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are always happy to hear from our hardworking team! We depend on all our associates to bring value to our hardworking customers and we’re thankful for all you do. Our goal is to be the best place to work by learning as we grow and improving and at all levels, including management. At Harbor Freight, we believe in doing the right thing and we want you to know that your feedback is valuable as we strive to be the best place to work. We assure you that we are continuously working to improve in this area and we encourage you to continue providing your suggestions. We highly encourage our associates to reach out to their HR Partners if they have any concerns. We will forward your comments to the appropriate HR Partners. Thank you for your continued hard work in Salem, NH and we’re glad to have you on the team!

4. 1.0

Unfair

Mar 11, 2021 - Institutional Sales Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved my customers and was devoted to providing the upmost service to each individual that came in the store

Cons

Once I became a supervisor upper management took advantage of my flexibility and willingness to work. I spent more time at work than with my family. And upper management turned on me more because they knew that providing an excellent customer experience was my main objective. I knew that store forwards and backwards. And I need more than the store manager at thr time. A lot of customers came in looking for me because they knew I was not going to fed them any bull. In the end I was fired for allegedly abusing my supervisory role

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We would not be able to achieve all that we do without hard-working associates like you. As an organization, we are committed to improving at all levels and your feedback will help us do that. We highly encourage our associates to reach out to their HR Partners and connect with them if they have any concerns to share. Thank you for your hard work at Harbor Freight and we wish you the best in your career journey!

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Compensation was competitive but it came at a price

Aug 22, 2017 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Harbor Freight is a rapidly growing retailer where new stores are added every 4 days approximately. The stores offer a wide array of tools for do-it-youselfers, weekend warriors, and now through the launch of their better quality tools, even contractors. Base pay was lower than I expected, but the promise of large quarterly bonuses was accurate and made up for the lower pay. My salary was 'whole' when I came to HFT. Upper management is incredibly talented and seeing the presentations at annual meeting in Las Vegas will confirm that. So in a nutshell, lots of growth, solid pay potential, lots of talent in the organization from upper management all the way down to the store manager level.

Cons

The cons at HFT are the same cons at all retailers. Work/life balance is practically non-existent. A 45-hour "typical" workweek regularly approaches 50-52 hours and stores have tasks that might go from as early as 4 AM in a week to midnight in that same week. All tasks (pricing, POGs, recalibrations, truck processing, etc.) are to be done in dark hours, but the labor doesn't allow that so it there is a constant jockeying tasks and available hours. Stores run on limited labor and even though I managed a mid-level store, I would often have myself plus 2 associates in the building. With all of the growth, there appears to be limited internal promotion opportunities. As in other retailers, metrics rule the day and certain ones take precedent like ESP and other sales metrics- even though they don't align with the company's priorities. At the end of the day, it is a good job for the money, but it wears on you. I have worked for other retailers, and this one seemed to take away more and more family time as it went on.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Growing very fast - a great retailer to be with.

Jun 8, 2013 - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Customers absolutely love us, the loyalty factor is incredible. Management is focused and genuinely concerned with their employees and want to see growth and promotion from within.

Cons

The growth is so explosive the infrastructure is struggling to keep up at times. Systems are often slow. Top brass often come across like they have all the answers and we're concerned that our voices aren't always heard.

8 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Store manager

Feb 12, 2017 - Store Manager in Dyersburg, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have 10 year's experience in management and Retail and Sales and Customer service Come first

Cons

I always love a challenge for all things and love working with Customers and Up Sales and Teamwork and I am very dedicated to my store and my job

Director of Talent Acquisition

Wow, great feedback and advice for current associates and we will make sure to share with the appropriate team members. We greatly appreciate your time with Harbor Freight and wish you all the best on your career journey.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Payroll Nightmare!

Aug 26, 2012 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Accrue PTO time faster then you can use it. Management will max out on collection of PTO and never be able to use it all.

Cons

Horrible POS systems, insane expectations with only 24 hour notice and even shorter window for completion. You have to cut your payroll hours for the rest of the district because no one else knows how to schedule there store properly in return have less people to execute tasks. It is not uncommon to be told on Friday afternoon to cut 25+ hours from your weekend schedule even though your own sales are up and payroll is dead on.

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

One of of worst places I have worked. Be prepared to gain weight from stress and work really long hours

Nov 20, 2014 - Management in Calabasas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

good pay, company tries to have a health awareness program

Cons

This review is for the corporate work environment in Calabasas. You work really long hours and your boss doesn't thank you. instead encourages you to kiss senior managements butt especially the owners. There is a really weird kool aid drinking culture where all senior management hang on to the owners every word and then expect you to hold on to their every word like its gold. I've literally been told that its a privilege for me to even be in the presence of the owner, Eric. *barfs* Eric is really not a bad guy, so i don't know where this butt kissing culture stems from, but its terrible. I think your experience might vary from department to department. The following departments are good to work for: IT, Finance, Real Estate, Do no work for the following departments: Category management, Sourcing, Art The hours are long, people back bite, a lot of smack talking and gossiping. Senior management loads up employees to do a ton of the work and they go around socializing. AVOID WORKING FOR HFT AT ALL COSTS! Or you'll end up like me, I currently despise my job, have gained so much weight because i can't make healthy decisions with all this work stress, and i'm not sleeping well. I cant wait to leave. Worst job I have ever head. 100% truth.

14 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mundane work for not enough money.

Feb 11, 2014 - Cashier in Johnstown, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy work with a mostly relaxed atmosphere. Coworkers are pleasant. You get commission with every warranty plan you sell which is nice. Most customers are pleasant.

Cons

Way too much focus on getting name cards from customers. Management often insinuates lying to customers to sell the Inside Track Club memberships and the warranty plans. When I follow the rules and a customer gets unhappy a manager will gladly break the rules for that customer, but when I do the same to avoid getting yelled at by a customer I'm the one in trouble.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 644 Reviews