Harbor Freight Tools "paid time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 14, 2019

3.3
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

"Not the best place for part timers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sevierville, TN

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

-commission available for specific sales. -they have a decent paid time off policy

Cons

they recently introduce some new policies surrounding the time clock. these same policies present the following problems. not enough time to complete tasks. often time they assigned one person to a single task and allow the time clock to judge how long the task should take. in my own experience, often their wasn't enough time to complete the task resulting in the fault being my own. even though i was rushing and cutting corners where i should not. this same policy likely does not account for cashier back up and customer interactions as well. making the task all the more difficult. their security policy conflicts with their attendance policy in certain circumstances. for example, if you were to attempt to call out in the morning before the store opens. the security policy demands that at least 2 people be present before the manager can go inside. this creates a conflict of interests. forcing the employee have it held against them regardless of the reason should they persist to stay out for the day. before i left, the store was understaffed, and while they are trying to hire more people, this creates scheduling errors and call ins. of which, can cause poor work/life balance even with the new time clock policy. this also has the opportunity to conflict with the new time clock policies. employees are informed to take breaks and lunches at specific times as instructed. however due to the aforementioned staffing issue, it's not always possible to do so. these issues sometimes resulted in me having to skip breaks and push my lunch back to complete assigned tasks and ensure their was appropriate coverage on the sales floor. my final point is the company advertises other benefits that are not made available to part time employees. but the posters and flyers mention nothing about this.

Advice to Management

please specify what benefits are available to part time employees on your job advertising and re-evaluate your policies to ensure that they don't create conflict of interests between the manager and employee as i have pointed out in cons section.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-05-21

"Mixed feelings about harbor freight"

Current Employee - Logistics Associate

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Paid time off, privately owned, and commision on non-merch sales

Cons

Too many things are handled by corporate. The stores and their employees can't do anything on their own. The store runs on an extreme by the book system, including scripts, planograms, and when you can and cant open and close tasks.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-05-02
  3. "Decent Starter Job"

Former Employee - Senior Logistics Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Base pay plus commission. - Reasonable amount of hours. - Keeps you busy. - Paid time off and sick time.

Cons

- Some tasks are impossible to complete. - High expectations relative to pay scale. - Low pay increases decrease morale and willingness to advance. - Odd hours and scheduling.

Advice to Management

- Increase pay, especially on the logistics side of the business, in order to capture higher performing employees.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-04-30

"Not the best job"

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Paid time off, good discount

Cons

Really push you to sell extended warranty plans, get customers email addresses, you cannot advance in the company, at least in the store where I worked. Manager kept putting me off when ever I tried talking to her about sr sales position.

Advice to Management

Some people should not be managers. When they show no respect to employees and can’t keep employees, there is something wrong!

Harbor Freight Tools2019-04-20
  5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, paid time off

Cons

Always short staffed, computer system outdated

Harbor Freight Tools2019-03-17

"Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

20% discount Full time employees earns 188 hours of paid time off in their first year. Huge growth opportunities to advance your career.

Cons

We don’t have enough great people working for us. Being the company is opening a new store every two days.

Harbor Freight Tools2018-10-28

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rothschild, WI

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Commission -Paid Time off -Benefits -Relaxed scheduling -Doesn't drug test

Cons

-Follows SOP when it doesn't 100% work -Management doesn't like it when you notice they do something wrong - Sales Associates does truck when they're not supposed to so you have to be awake by 3:30am or 2:00am which is not right

Advice to Management

-Hire better people, acknowledge when someone who's been at this job longer that you made mistakes - Be nicer to your employees - Acknowledge that SOP does not work 100% of the time, for closing procedures SOP does not work.

Harbor Freight Tools2018-10-01
  8. "Logistic Manager"

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible, great benefits, flexible, a lot of paid time off, employee discount, bonuses, commission, opportunity to promote

Cons

Very inconsistent hours, extremely rude customers

Harbor Freight Tools2018-09-08
  9. "Great company! They have a lot of opportunity ahead of themselves."

Current Employee - Logistics Supervisor

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid time off that accumulates quickly! Fun to work with and around tools all day and help customers find really unique products that can only be found at harbor freight.

Cons

Pay can be on the low side of retail when compared to equal expectations at other retailers. Smaller stores make movement up tougher.

Advice to Management

Invest into streamlining things. Computers and servers are slow making much of my day waiting for a computer to get me to the page I need to be. Invest into stores that can save/make money. Led lights. Steal recycling and cardboard bailers. With all the cardboard we go through 25 buck a bail is better then paying a company to haul it away. Same with steel recycling! We throw it into the trash instead partner with local recycling to get some income.

Harbor Freight Tools2018-08-14
  10. "Warehouse supervisor"

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and paid time off as well as great benefits

Cons

Smaller stores struggle with space.

Harbor Freight Tools2018-05-20