Harbor Freight Tools "paid time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Eric Smidt

"Sales supervisor"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer a competitive salary. Flexible schedule. Earn lots of paid time off.

Cons

A lot of overnight shifts. Occasionally there isn't more than 5 or 6 hours between shifts. Don't get to take many 30 min breaks.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of how you make the schedule.

Harbor Freight Tools2016-08-30

"A lot of good, but more bad about working here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very structured procedurally, close knit employment community with a family/team feeling, flexible scheduling, annual reviews with performance based raises, opportunities for advance for hard workers. Generous 401K matching for full time and paid time off for full and part time. Never a worry about being paid as ADP does payroll with either direct deposit or deposit to Visa debit card and ALWAYS paid on time.

Cons

Ridiculous time demands for full time employees, NO OVERTIME EVER, expectations of working off clock, even when you don't work for free the scheduling makes it feel like a 60 hour a week job with pay for ≤40 hours. Expensive medical. Good luck taking paid time off when you want it. Most part time employees weren't even made aware of paid time off. Inconsistent scheduling/ hours for part time. You will RARELY see someone fired because HFT refuses to support unemployment compensation. If you don't give them just cause, they will force you to quit by minimal scheduling and/or terrible work assignments and/or terrible hours. Depending on the store manager, the family atmosphere can be a clique atmosphere. Yes men are rewarded more often and quickly than free thinkers. WAY TOO MANY CHIEFS and not near enough soldiers. Blame always rolls downhill.

Advice to Management

Either follow the SOP, or don't. Treat your people like assets, not liabilities to overhead or to your bonus. Store managers are under tremendous pressure to achieve numbers to achieve bonuses which leads to loss of perspective towards underlings. I was recently written up for insubordination because the district manager (store manager's boss) came directly to me with a specific assignment that contradicted my store manager's assignment. Was also written up for inconsistent performance over a vague time span that corresponded to no longer working off the clock. Was also told that if I didn't kick a co-worker (below me in the store hierarchy) out of my home, that I would be fired under the conflict of interest clause of the employee manual. Eric Smidt has a great plan for business. It just loses too much by the time it gets to the store level. So much pressure is artificially created by mid and store level management, that it becomes nearly unbearable to be a regular Joe employee trying to focus on customers first because the focus is always on bottom line to the exclusion of all else. My idea? Eliminate performance bonuses for every little metric measurement for store managers and above. The mark ups on the products sold is huge! Most items are 60% and above profit margin. The store managers are forced to put too much emphasis on things that are designed to attain performance bonuses than to attain actual sales performance. The result is burned out, ineffective, and disgruntled employees that adversely affect customer service. Best advice to Eric? Try doing the undercover boss thing. That would be the only way to see how distorted your vision gets at the store level!

Harbor Freight Tools2016-09-06

"Been working here for about a year. Scheduling is bad. No team players. We rotate through warehouse employees often."

Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Paid time off. Get fed on parking lot sales. Oppurtunity to make commission

Cons

Demographic of customers. Coupons. You are encouraged to cheat for itcs/esps and it affects hours.

Advice to Management

Tighten up g.

Harbor Freight Tools2016-07-16
  4. "Great Place To Gain Experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Auburn, ME

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great paid time off earn, pretty flexible about schedule, very diverse customer base, keeping busy during parking lot sale weekends, great place to start out in retail or people who can only work part time.

Cons

often schedule mishaps, not enough hours, not a lot of room for position movement, loads of angry customers, very little teamwork especially when busy. no benefits for part timers which makes up all positions except managers.

Advice to Management

Work as a team and that place can be great again.

Harbor Freight Tools2016-07-09
  5. "Great place if you like tools"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a great place to work if you like to work with tools and you also get a 20% discount on everything. And paid time off

Cons

Its a classic part time job that only needs a body at the register, you arent required to know anything about tools

Harbor Freight Tools2016-06-12
  6. "asst. manager"

Operations Assistant Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools for less than a year

Pros

Company has Great paid time off.

Cons

Not much of a training program

Harbor Freight Tools2016-05-29

"Loved it at First"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time

Pros

You get paid time off as well as spiff which can easily increase your paychecks by like $200 dollars

Cons

New Management isn't very professional as well as one team member that is part of the management team is very disrespectful to their employees. The company does not care about employees and will higher as many people as possible to lower hours.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees as well as listen to our feedback

Harbor Freight Tools2016-05-08
  8. "Not horrible"

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is usually really friendly and helpful If you put the work in you could get a nice paycheck from commission Paid time off is available even for part time

Cons

Some of the most incompetent people I have ever met Short lunch breaks Constantly having to do other people's jobs Constant emphasis on selling warranties and memberships

Harbor Freight Tools2016-03-19

"Sales Associate"

Sales Associate/Cashier in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Very Flexible with scheduling. You have an opportunity to make a sales commission by selling extended service plans on power tools and memberships to the store. As a part time employee, you accumulate paid time off.

Cons

Sometimes hours could be inconsistent.

Harbor Freight Tools2016-03-07
  10. "associate"

Warehouse/Sales Associate in Culpeper, VA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools for less than a year

Pros

Fairly relaxed work environment, you get to learn a lot about tools and have the ability to talk to customers if you like doing that, paid time off is good and benefits are good

Cons

Base pay is low, especially for the members of the truck who have to work overnights there is no overnight percentage bump.

Advice to Management

My only advice to raise the base pay for the workers of the overnight shifts, cashiers have the potentional to make more money via spifs/commission.

Harbor Freight Tools2016-02-11