Harbor Freight Tools "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Nov 23, 2019

3.3
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
Pros
  • "Full time employees earns 188 hours of paid time off in their first year(in 86 reviews)

• "Company prefers to promote from within; You can start as a part time associate and work your way to management in just a year or two(in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management unreasonable expectations of work task unreasonable(in 65 reviews)

• "I would like our part time associates to work a minimum of 20 hrs a week(in 62 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews

"I love my career with HFtools"

Current Employee - Logistics Supervisor in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Greatest challenge I have ever experienced in My career history. I look forward to each moment that I am there supporting our Management team.

Cons

I would like our part time associates to work a minimum of 20 hrs a week. I obsess in building a team of high- achievers, optimizing talent that is proficient in the execution of all operational processes. Constantly ensuring a rewarding experience to every customer that I serve. All efforts to deliver a rewarding experience for part time associates seem to go in vein as each individually express their... disappointment concerning the lack of hours they each receive...

Advice to Management

Only Satisfied Associates will deliver the consistency expected in merchandise management.s Always ensuring long term increases that is needed in sales.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-11-10
  2. "Great job"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Norristown, PA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, high pay rate compared to competitors, great hands on experience, awesome team environment, paid Thanksgiving and Christmas even though the store is closed, and AMAZING benefits. Company prefers to promote from within; You can start as a part time associate and work your way to management in just a year or two. Also corporate provides an employee relief fund for those who hit hard times and/or... emergencies.

Cons

While not often, you can close one day and open the next. You will work at least one day a weekend, which is par for the course in retail, customers can be tougher then most.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-11-23

"Overall decent company with a few flaws"

Current Employee - Logistics Associate in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is easy-going and easy to work with Paid time off for part-time employees

Cons

4am start most days Short 4 hour shifts often Low pay starting at 12/hr

Advice to Management

Retain employees by raising starting pay and offer bonus incentives to associates.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-11-05
  4. "Assist in store costumers and phone customers"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

PTO, Commission on ITCs and Extended Warranties, Employee Benefit Website

Cons

Not many besides recent decrease in store income causing part-time employee's to receive less then part-time hours

Advice to Management

None. I respect all my managers.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-09-10

"It's a retail job."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Leesburg, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can earn bonus pay for selling replacement plans and memberships.

Cons

More than likely start off as part time and hard to advance internally.

Advice to Management

Increase the starting wage and increase the pay raises or people will look for other employment.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-08-19

"Know what you are getting yourself into"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company offers paid time off and a matching 401k plan to full and part time employees. Can earn additional money by selling warranties and memberships. I enjoy talking with the customers and don't mind doing the job aside from the repetition.

Cons

Long hours on your feet without breaks while other employees are allowed to socialize and leave his/her work station. Expected to sell sell sell even though we were told our only responsibility is to offer certain products. Have to repeat the same 10 word phrase to every customer.

Advice to Management

Give your employees adequate time to rest like they were promised, allow tasks to be alternated so everyone has the opportunity to move around, HIRE SUPERVISORS AND MANAGERS who will do their jobs to ensure that the associates are all being treated fairly and receiving breaks that are required by law and by the company! HAVE a CONVERSATION with an employee about supposedly NOT following the SCRIPT BEFORE writing the... employee up. Especially when other employees are not adhering to the script. THIS IS A FORM OF HARASSMENT when you single one employee out!

Harbor Freight Tools2019-09-02
  7. "Pretty Good Job- Whack Hours"

Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Biloxi, MS

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Very friendly management and coworkers -Willing to help you out when you need it -Even part-time accrues TO -Great if you enjoy exercise and team lifting

Cons

-Part-time hours are NOT consistent, you'll either make barely enough to live or not enough at all -Easy to injure yourself if you're not careful -Hard to use your TO when there aren't enough people -Not a good job for people that don't like waking up at 4 AM -Management is sometimes hard to speak to when they don't come in at consistent hours that line up with your shift -If you're a girl, it's a little bit of... a boys' club

Advice to Management

Management is nice and willing to listen, but are hard to get to sometimes when you really need to discuss something. They need to communicate with their subordinates a little bit more. The hours of their early morning workers, especially part-timers, makes it almost impossible to run into them.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-08-17
  8. "Great environment, lots of opportunities to make money, but objectively unfair policies."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Marion, IN

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you put in hard work, it's recognized by your store. My store manager was a fantastic boss, with a great work ethic and constantly pushed others to do put forth their best performance. Staff where I was at was always extremely friendly, had a good sense of humor, and was very effective in doing their jobs. Commissions are a great way to earn a lot of extra money, whether part time or full time associate. Benefits... and paid time off are available for part time and full time positions alike.

Cons

Several of their policies, namely attendance and cash, have a "strikeout" format. If you are more than 6 minutes late or more than $5 under or over, you are flagged for the next six months. They do not communicate with you or with anyone at your store directly until your last "strike" and will automatically fire you if it happens again, even at the expense of your store, ignoring whether or not your managers plead... otherwise.

Advice to Management

Change these policies on a corporate level to be investigative rather than automatic. Have an actual person determine whether or not someone should be fired. These policies are not effective at weeding out bad employees and end up severely hurting the wrong people, and worse, the entire store.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-08-10

"Interesting"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time

Pros

-Benefits and more full time positions -Upwards movement -Supportive upper leadership -Some great customers and coworkers -New and improved items in stores -Job security

Cons

-Workload - Performance management (New attendance policy is crazy) -AM/PM differential in store creates an culture that is hard to support quality of life -Truck recieving process -Store layouts (some stores have significant challenges and are still expected to perform to the same standards as other stores) -Not enough payroll to handle customers -Corp. Partners who create workload do not make time frames realistic... for part time associates - no allocated training hours

Advice to Management

The growing pains in this company are very real right now. There are improvements that need to be made. This company has extremely high expectations, which is fantastic, but they need to be realistic with how they go about distributing the work that needs to be done.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-07-12
  10. "Work/life balance sucks"

Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time

Pros

The insurance is better than most.

Cons

No respect for employees. Days and nights are supposed to be shared equally among management,but they burn you out on closes by yourself, yet they say they have the best schedule to accommodate family life. Not true unless your part time an you can choose when you want to work. Full time does not get that.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for your employees and don't burn them out on closes.

Harbor Freight Tools2019-07-30