Harbor Freight Tools "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2019

3.3
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
  1. "Ok but could be alot better"

Current Employee - Logistics Associate in Warner Robins, GA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than a year

Pros

full paid time off for part time employees, usually works with school schedules

Cons

terribly inefficient and asinine SOP's, not enough hours or too many hours,

Harbor Freight Tools2017-11-13

"logistics"

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time

Pros

Good payed holidays, vacation, and extra time for even part time associates.

Cons

poor pay, lack of advancement, company rarely promotes from within, very demanding for a minimum wage job. a lot of night work with no shift premium.

Advice to Management

pay better, or hire enough people to do the needed work. Don't rely on employees to be desperate enough to step up at a moments notice and do twice the work and punish those that are good employees but can't get to work on a whim.

Harbor Freight Tools2017-09-06
  3. "Logistics Associate"

Current Employee - Logistics Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Usually one overnight shift a week Cross train into other positions (Cashier) Can move up roles fairly easily Flexible Hours

Cons

Not that many hours are given to part time employees, so don't depend on this one job solely. Managers need to be dealt with; lazy, unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be improved between management and associates.

Harbor Freight Tools2017-08-29
  4. "Good Times"

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Management willing to work with you on scheduled hours

Cons

Most employees are part time

Advice to Management

Open more full time positions for workers that are good employees and want full time

Harbor Freight Tools2017-08-12
  5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Basic retail job but more relaxed environment. Enjoy the customers but as u know it's retail so you get your pain in the butt ones. Been there 3 mo now part time and have almost 30 hrs of vacation/sick pay or whatever you want to use it on. So far so good.

Cons

Only con I have is when you start out you barely get any hours like 5 to 10 a week but as you go they give you more hours.

Harbor Freight Tools2017-07-17
  6. "A great place to work that has stability, a clear path to promotion, competitive salaries, and strong core values!"

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Thorough training for all roles, rapid company growth, quick advancement for the dedicated and driven, various ways to increase salary at any position, strong corporate leadership, constant improvements in all aspects of the business, company welcomes store level feedback and implements changes from it, a CEO that is involved with the company and employees, affordable healthcare, PTO available to part time and full time employees, and strong core values the company embraces!

Cons

I haven't had any issues or problems with HFT during my time with the company. We've experienced some small growing pains, but nothing impactful enough that I would classify as a con to working here. That goes for any position, whether it's an hourly position that's part time or full time, or a salaried position. I started as a part time associate and was then promoted through every store level leadership role, all with varying responsibilities and workloads. Through all of my roles I haven't had any stand out negative experiences.

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path and continue doing everything that you have done to make HFT like it is today!

Harbor Freight Tools2017-07-16
  7. "Harbor Freight"

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time

Pros

Part time gets sick and paid time off

Cons

Pushing the ITC and warranty

Advice to Management

None

Harbor Freight Tools2017-07-04
  8. "Good local business to work for and buy products from"

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time

Pros

The work isn't difficult or engaging if you know the inventory in your back room or have done warehouse work before. The people I work with are average people just trying to live, nothing extra ordinary or special, but they are decent people and have enjoyed working with them. If you learn everything to do and management see this you can be more usefull if you applied yourself and have more opportunies to be called upon when needed.

Cons

The hours are constantly fluxuating every week...no consistancy of hours throughout the week, you will need another job if you get hired part time.

Advice to Management

Just look at your employees as their people and not under rate them....look at their skills and not the particular image of the person and see what they have to offer to the store!

Harbor Freight Tools2017-06-28

"Greatest place in the country to work"

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work life balance is fantastic. Unprecedented in all of retail. Cares about every employee from the part time employee to the VP level.

Cons

No real cons. The company is striving everyday to become a great place to work. Just completed an employee engagement survey. So I'm sure we will work on any gaps that we have.

Harbor Freight Tools2017-05-13

"Great company"

Current Employee - Logistics Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome part-time benefits for employees. Managers benefits great, company treats employees well. Free work shirts for employees shows care. Company really shows pride in their employees.

Cons

Very physical job, semi-unrealistic company expectations for timelines. Lastly, associate pay low for certain areas creating retention issues.

Advice to Management

Remember your talent is where it all starts, treat your employees right and it will come back to you!

Harbor Freight Tools2017-05-05