KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Harbor Freight Tools

Engaged Employer

Harbor Freight Tools

Add a Review

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Oct 24, 2021

Found 150 of over 2,206 reviews

3.7
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
1,152 Ratings

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Harbor Freight Tools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Pretty Good Job- Whack Hours

Aug 17, 2019 - Inventory Associate in Biloxi, MS
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Very friendly management and coworkers -Willing to help you out when you need it -Even part-time accrues TO -Great if you enjoy exercise and team lifting

Cons

-Part-time hours are NOT consistent, you'll either make barely enough to live or not enough at all -Easy to injure yourself if you're not careful -Hard to use your TO when there aren't enough people -Not a good job for people that don't like waking up at 4 AM -Management is sometimes hard to speak to when they don't come in at consistent hours that line up with your shift -If you're a girl, it's a little bit of a boys' club

Director of People and Culture

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us and for all of your hard work in Biloxi. Harbor Freight Tools recently made improvements to our time-keeping system and we appreciate everyone's patience as we all adjust to the changes. In response to associate concerns, we created fixed business hours, meaning that stores are either classified as "early morning" or "late evening" for operations and stocking. This new system also guarantees all part-time associates a minimum of 12 hours per week. Thank you again for sharing and we wish you the best of luck on your career journey!

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great environment, lots of opportunities to make money, but objectively unfair policies.

Aug 9, 2019 - Senior Sales Associate in Marion, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you put in hard work, it's recognized by your store. My store manager was a fantastic boss, with a great work ethic and constantly pushed others to do put forth their best performance. Staff where I was at was always extremely friendly, had a good sense of humor, and was very effective in doing their jobs. Commissions are a great way to earn a lot of extra money, whether part time or full time associate. Benefits and paid time off are available for part time and full time positions alike.

Cons

Several of their policies, namely attendance and cash, have a "strikeout" format. If you are more than 6 minutes late or more than $5 under or over, you are flagged for the next six months. They do not communicate with you or with anyone at your store directly until your last "strike" and will automatically fire you if it happens again, even at the expense of your store, ignoring whether or not your managers plead otherwise.

Director of People and Culture

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Please know that we greatly value all of our associates and all of your hard work. Our policies and procedures are always designed with associates in mind, but we appreciate your feedback. We regularly monitor and collect suggestions and feedback in our efforts of continuous improvement. Thanks again for sharing, and we wish you the best in your future career!

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Work/life balance sucks

Jul 29, 2019 - Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The insurance is better than most.

Cons

No respect for employees. Days and nights are supposed to be shared equally among management,but they burn you out on closes by yourself, yet they say they have the best schedule to accommodate family life. Not true unless your part time an you can choose when you want to work. Full time does not get that.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know that we greatly value your time and hard work, and we will utilize your feedback in our efforts of continuous improvement. Harbor Freight Tools prides ourselves on offering flexible schedules and a work/life balance to all of our associates. We'll make sure to share this feedback with the appropriate associates and we wish you the best in your career journey!

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not the best place for part timers

May 21, 2019 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sevierville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

-commission available for specific sales. -they have a decent paid time off policy

Cons

they recently introduce some new policies surrounding the time clock. these same policies present the following problems. not enough time to complete tasks. often time they assigned one person to a single task and allow the time clock to judge how long the task should take. in my own experience, often their wasn't enough time to complete the task resulting in the fault being my own. even though i was rushing and cutting corners where i should not. this same policy likely does not account for cashier back up and customer interactions as well. making the task all the more difficult. their security policy conflicts with their attendance policy in certain circumstances. for example, if you were to attempt to call out in the morning before the store opens. the security policy demands that at least 2 people be present before the manager can go inside. this creates a conflict of interests. forcing the employee have it held against them regardless of the reason should they persist to stay out for the day. before i left, the store was understaffed, and while they are trying to hire more people, this creates scheduling errors and call ins. of which, can cause poor work/life balance even with the new time clock policy. this also has the opportunity to conflict with the new time clock policies. employees are informed to take breaks and lunches at specific times as instructed. however due to the aforementioned staffing issue, it's not always possible to do so. these issues sometimes resulted in me having to skip breaks and push my lunch back to complete assigned tasks and ensure their was appropriate coverage on the sales floor. my final point is the company advertises other benefits that are not made available to part time employees. but the posters and flyers mention nothing about this.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. Please know that we are dedicated to providing our associates with the best experience possible at Harbor Freight Tools. To do this, we have implemented some new time-keeping changes and we understand that it may take some time for our associates to adjust to them. Please know that we will share your feedback with the appropriate associates, as we value your input in making Harbor Freight a great place to work. We greatly appreciate all of your hard work in Sevierville and wish you the best in your future career endeavors.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Ok pay, decently easy job, poor management.

Mar 10, 2019 - Logistics Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay ($10 starting.)

Cons

Poor management training. Managers never seem trained for their job. Poor hours, even for part-time. 20 hours one week, 4 the next. You're not important unless you're a Senior Associate. (Part timers aren't valued.) If you're a good worker, it's *YOUR* job to make others do their job, not the supervisors. (Meaning you supervise, when if you're not a supervisor.)

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. First, we want to thank you for your continued hard work. We would not be able to accomplish all that we do without hardworking associates like yourself. We also want you to know that Harbor Freight Tools values all of our associates, and your Regional HR Manager would be open to hearing your feedback. If you prefer to reach out to the anonymous hotline to share your comments, you can do so at (800) 693-8377. You can also reach out to me directly at culture@harborfreight.com. Thank you again for your hard work and we look forward to watching you grow with Harbor Freight!

6. 3.0

review

Mar 8, 2019 - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible and mostly only part time

Cons

very little hours and closes ver early

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Harbor Freight Tools prides ourselves on offering flexible schedules to create a work/life balance for our associates. We appreciate your hard work and wish you the best!

7. 1.0

horrible place to work

Mar 19, 2019 - Logistics in Jersey City, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

there are no pros most managers treat you like a dope!

Cons

they told me I would work the delivery of the truck at 4pm when I started...after a month they changed it to 4am yea 4am.. pay is terrible heavy lifting..no flexibility with hours.. they don't cart about part time employees.. home depot is way better... for part time

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know that we value all of our associates. One of our Core Values is “Doing the Right Thing,” which means treating everyone fairly, reasonably, and with respect. We are also in the process of making some improvements on flexible schedules to make Harbor Freight Tools a great place to work. Thank you for all your hard work in Jersey City, and we wish you the best.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

If you want a job for fun work here. If you need to make a living keep looking.

Feb 17, 2019 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

You earn PTO as a part time employee from day one. Flexible schedule for most (you are required to work big sales-6 weekends a year & major holidays -it is retail). Easy to get time off for doctor appointments (unpaid). Cashiers earn commission by selling add on items. Management makes sure you get the days off you request, aside from what I listed above. Customers are mostly (90%) nice but you do get verbally sexually harassed on a daily basis so know that going in. If you are sensitive you don't want to work here or you will end up crying. Most employees are nice, some are lazy & on their phone (against policy) like every other place. Assistant managers at my store are very nice. Manager is different. District manager is completely out in left field.

Cons

Low Pay & no additional pay for working major holidays like Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, Memorial day, Labor day or July 4th. Not many hours (could be only 10 hours per week). Other employees are late every single day which means you never get off on time (managers never write them up or do anything about it even when you complain & ask them to follow company policy). Cashiers are required to answer the phone while checking customers out. This is very annoying. Customers think you are being rude. After my first 2 years with the company corporate changed the commission structure for cashiers (which I am) and I lost over 60% of my commission each year following. You must work over 30 hours to be full time & get insurance, they make sure you stay @ 27 or less. 3% raise each year does not keep up with inflation and it isn't worth the waste of paper it is printed on. They open a new store every 3 days so we now have less inventory in stock than previously. This is frustrating to the customers & the employees. This also makes me feel like they are going to saturate the market. This year they are also unrolling 2 new services at the store that will require the cashier to do more work but not increase the pay. That will likely be my breaking point.

Director of People and Culture

First, we want to thank you for trusting Harbor Freight Tools with your career for over 5 years and for taking the time to share your detailed feedback. We would not be able to accomplish all that we do without hardworking Associates like yourself. Please know that we have passed your feedback on to the appropriate Associates. We encourage you to reach out to the anonymous hotline at (800) 693-8377 to share your concerns or to reach out to our Director of People and Culture, Dan Stainback, directly at culture@harborfreight.com. We greatly value your feedback in our efforts to continuously improve our stores and make Harbor Freight a great place to work. Thank you again for all that you do and we look forward to watch you grow with our team!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Job!, ..... but

Jan 2, 2019 - Cashier in Port Charlotte, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

EVERY employee from our Store Manager on down to Logistics/Stock are Wonderful. Only took this part time job as a filler till something better came along, however I have been enjoying my employment here so much that I plan to stay here as long as needed.

Cons

Slightly, and I use that term loosly, we are over-pressurized by management to up-sell their Extended Replacement Plans to customers. Some of their Plans are definately worth it, but many that we are “Required” to offer are not a value to the customer. Hired as a Cashier, I was not expecting to be Required to also learn to “Sell” like a natural Salesman can. My biggest Beef is with Selling customers their Inside Track Club Memberships .... but my beef is not the membership itself, which is VERY valuable to customers, it is the followup visits by Club Members. It can take a few months for their actual Membership to register in our computers accurately creating much confusion on our end. Then to top that confusion off ... For all ITC members, we are required to manually look up each product code in a printed binder to scan the ITC product discount code. Every item large or small must be manually searched creating immediate backup at registers as their sale takes much longer that most average sales. This then creates a longer line of pissed off customers because they are now waiting longer for service.

3 people found this review helpful

Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback with us. We’re always happy to hear from hardworking Associates like yourself and are glad you are enjoying working with your team in Port Charlotte. Please know that we listen to all Associate feedback and will consider your suggestions as we work to improve our stores at all levels. We’re glad you are a part of the Harbor Freight Tools team and look forward to watching you grow with us!

10. 2.0