KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews about "people"

Updated Jun 23, 2022

Found 362 of over 2,425 reviews

3.7
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
1,253 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The pay is good and the monthly bonuses are a plus but inconsistent at best.(in 203 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and product to promote to customers.Training is available.(in 164 reviews)
  • "Great people and fun to work at.(in 107 reviews)
  • "You receive a small portion of time off on each paycheck depending on the hours you work.(in 82 reviews)
  • "Some great coworkers they gave me a job(in 48 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Harbor Freight Tools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0

cashier, replenisher of stock

Nov 26, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Meet some interesting people and I am sure that this store is much different than any other in the Denver/Aurora area.

Cons

Pay is bad even for full timers Schedule is made up for some to get whatever they want others work back to back, like work 4p to midnight and then be back at work at 11 am the next day and then 4 p to midnight again. Don't care that people have families Management and supervisors don't treat everyone the same, nit pick on certain employees and let the rest get away with whatever. Don't care about their employees if they get hurt or not by customers, and they definitely don't care that people are stealing from the store.

Employment Branding Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. As you know, Harbor Freight Tools is committed to continuous improvement, and we pride ourselves on creating a safe and enjoyable work environment for our Associates. Thank you for all your hard work in Denver and best of luck to you in the future.

2. 3.0

warehouse associate

Mar 14, 2016 - Warehouse Associate in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

warehouse team was fun to work with. great job for students. easy interview. you meet a lot of cool people in trades and business owners so working here can be your stepping stone in finding a better job/career. don't need a GED. if you like to party and talk trash to your coworkers while you work this is the spot for you.

Cons

$9 an hour is low pay. even if you move up you still wont make very much. low hours, 20 hours a week if your lucky, you wont get more if you ask. their is not motivation to move up the supervisors were on making 11 an hour. HR called me by mistake didn't even ask my name, they thought i was eric who was telling on someone about how he was getting picked on. so basically hr called me and let me know who is snitching on people btw i had already quit the job a week before the call.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback, as you may remember Harbor Freight Tools is committed to continuously improving our processes and we will make sure to share your feedback with the appropriate team members. Over the past few years we have made some big changes to the way we operate and how we recognize our associates and we have more to do and hope you will take a minute to learn about the changes we have made at Harbor Freight Tools. We invite you to visit our career site at www.harborfreightjobs.com.

3. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good people, difficult customers

Apr 14, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people they will treat you well and teach you everything and some tricks to get through the job. They offered commission on items and memberships you sold.

Cons

You were likely to run into disgruntled people that would demean you for doing your job up to code.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we strive to improve continuously and your feedback will help us do that. We depend on all our Associates to provide a great customer experience and build a great place to work. Thank you for your hard work and we wish you the best in your career journey!

4. 4.0

Not a bad place

Jan 18, 2022 - Sales and Logistics Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to learn about tools and has decent upward mobility for people willing to work for it.

Cons

Customers feel very entitled a lot of the time and corporate management didn't seem very competent.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We depend on all our Associates to bring value to our hardworking customers and we’re grateful for all you do. We want you to know that your feedback is valuable as we strive to be the best place to work. We highly encourage our Associates to reach out to their HR Partners if they have any concerns to share. Thank you for your hard work and we wish you the best in your career journey!

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Steer clear of corporate

Nov 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some wonderful and hard working people work at corporate. Company now allows most corporate employees to work remotely. COVID response was great. Benefits are expensive but decent. Community work and Tools for Schools is amazing.

Cons

Everyone is overworked and burned out at corporate. Many people are dealing with mental health issues, but if you take a leave or tell people you're struggling it will be held against you. It's impossible to take time off (they expect you to check emails while you're on PTO). Company grew staff in some departments and not in others resulting in increased workload for many. Decision making is slow and changes constantly. The senior leaders have no strategy and everything is a priority (priorities change daily). Too many meetings with no decisions. People are afraid to speak up or complain or even ask questions for fear of retaliation. Lots of favoritism - promotions and opportunities are based on whether your manager likes you and if you work long hours. HR is terrible. We had a great HR Business Partner but she quit suddenly without another job lined up. What does that tell you?

2 people found this review helpful

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience and providing valuable feedback as we strive toward our goal of being the best place to work. We encourage our Associates to use the many resources available to express any workplace concerns and work toward resolution. In addition to your HR Partners, you can always reach out to the Employee Relations team, the HFT Outlet or you may email culture@harborfreight.com with any concerns. Additionally, we value the health and well-being of our Associates above all and want to ensure you are also aware of the benefits available to all Associates to address the issues that you raise. Thank you again for your valuable comments and for your continued hard work.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee

Loved it at First

May 8, 2016 - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid time off as well as spiff which can easily increase your paychecks by like $200 dollars

Cons

New Management isn't very professional as well as one team member that is part of the management team is very disrespectful to their employees. The company does not care about employees and will higher as many people as possible to lower hours.

Director of Talent Acquisition

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A company that is as good as it products

Aug 21, 2013 - Management in Calabasas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is competitive and benefits are decent.

Cons

Poor leadership/management - the management are inexperienced and incompetent, they don't listen to suggestions well and keep making the same mistakes. It is also unprofessional of the managers to talk negatively and gossip about their own people openly to other co-workers and other departments. The managers also do not protect their own people, instead, they challenge and throw their own people under the bus in meetings in front of other departments. This is extremely unprofessional and poor management. Poor work & life balance - majority of the people work at HFT have no life, the managers expect you to work 24/7. You are asked to work at late nights, weekends and even holidays. It is extremely unhealthy and inhuman of the managers to ask their people do work such long hours. The workload is unsustainable. Not enough employee to support the quick growth and everything falls on you to complete. Poor workload arrangement - the workload here is not even. some people have a lot of workload but some don't. Again, the managers assign workload based on preferences, not what makes sense. Poor system and process - the company's system and process are very insufficient. Many people tried to change or improve them, but have not been successful.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Sucks

Aug 22, 2020 - Supervisor in Louisville, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The hours are okay. The people are cool

Cons

They don't care about your health. They don't care about cost of living they allow people to steal it's a horrible but easy place to work

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We would not be able to accomplish all that we do without hardworking associates like yourself. At Harbor Freight, we value people above all else. We will share your comments with the appropriate HR Partners. Thank you for your hard work and good luck in your future career!

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Haha, this place is a joke (the worst)

Mar 12, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the people are nice and there is a grocery store next to the office.

Cons

This place is the worst. It's just bad. In every way possible (and it looks like every negative review gets a vague and/or defensive response from the person that oversees this profile).

2 people found this review helpful

Director of People and Culture

First, we want to thank you for sharing your feedback and for all of your hard work. We want you to know that we value all of our associates and are not only listening to feedback, but are also trying to understand our associates’ concerns in making Harbor Freight Tools a great place to work. We can understand the frustration of receiving a response that does not show immediate change, but one of our Core Values is “Continuous Improvement,” which means learning and adapting as we grow. Our team appreciates everyone’s patience as we work through associate feedback to make changes, but please know they will take some time to take effect, as they will influence our entire company. Thank you again for sharing, and we wish you the best in achieving your future career goals.

10. 2.0
    Current Employee

Frustration abounds, too few hours allotted to each store to run properly!

May 20, 2012 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefit package, customer base is generally great, employee discount on non-coupon items, access to information about which tools are great and which ones to avoid.

Cons

Too few hours allotted to each store to have a real floor/warehouse/office coverage. Constant pressure to perform above and beyond without proper recognition for the people do who actually do the sweating in the place.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 362 Reviews