KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews about "time"

Updated Jun 23, 2022

Found 446 of over 2,425 reviews

3.7
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
1,253 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The pay is good and the monthly bonuses are a plus but inconsistent at best.(in 203 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and product to promote to customers.Training is available.(in 164 reviews)
  • "Great people and fun to work at.(in 107 reviews)
  • "You receive a small portion of time off on each paycheck depending on the hours you work.(in 82 reviews)
  • "Some great coworkers they gave me a job(in 48 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Harbor Freight Tools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0

Well..it is retail..

Nov 1, 2013 - Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Commission. You get paid to sell 'warranties' on select items. Selling more gets you more money. In a perfect world that should merit more hours, but sadly it doesn't! PTO You receive a small portion of time off on each paycheck depending on the hours you work. The more hours you work the more PTO time you receive each check.

Cons

Few Hours for part time workers (8-15 at most) Upper management sucks Unrealistic expectations!! If you're looking for a part time job (maybe 2-3 days a week) with commission then this may be the job for you. If you're trying to make a living, look elsewhere!!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

May 17, 2021 - Clerk in Lafayette, LA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management was always helpful and good to work for.

Cons

Pay at the time was not great but was not horrible for my first job.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We would not be able to accomplish all that we do without hardworking associates like you. Our goal is to be a great place to work by learning as we grow and evolve every step of the way. Please know that we regularly monitor associate feedback in our efforts of continuous improvement. Thank you for your hard work in Lafayette, LA and we wish you best in your career journey!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wish I had started sooner

Dec 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Goldsboro, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is the best I have ever worked for. Everyone is willing to help one another and ensure that we have fun. The benefits are amazing and generous amount of PTO. Bonuses are monthly and I am highly impressed how great they are. Overall I wish I had come here a lot sooner in my career. I can truly say I hope I retire after 30+ years of service with this great company. I am an assistant manager now and hope to be a DM in 5 to 7 years.

Cons

The company is great overall. I wish that the company would offer Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance. With a lot of part time employees this would be a great benefit to offer. Many of my associates want to go to college but don't have the financial means to.

Director of People and Culture

We are always happy to hear from our hardworking associates and we appreciate your positive feedback. At Harbor Freight, we reward hard work with great benefits that matter to our associates. We want you to know that your feedback is valuable, as we are continuing to evolve and grow as an organization. We look forward to seeing you grow and we thank you for your continued hard work in Goldsboro, NC.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not the best place for part timers

May 21, 2019 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sevierville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

-commission available for specific sales. -they have a decent paid time off policy

Cons

they recently introduce some new policies surrounding the time clock. these same policies present the following problems. not enough time to complete tasks. often time they assigned one person to a single task and allow the time clock to judge how long the task should take. in my own experience, often their wasn't enough time to complete the task resulting in the fault being my own. even though i was rushing and cutting corners where i should not. this same policy likely does not account for cashier back up and customer interactions as well. making the task all the more difficult. their security policy conflicts with their attendance policy in certain circumstances. for example, if you were to attempt to call out in the morning before the store opens. the security policy demands that at least 2 people be present before the manager can go inside. this creates a conflict of interests. forcing the employee have it held against them regardless of the reason should they persist to stay out for the day. before i left, the store was understaffed, and while they are trying to hire more people, this creates scheduling errors and call ins. of which, can cause poor work/life balance even with the new time clock policy. this also has the opportunity to conflict with the new time clock policies. employees are informed to take breaks and lunches at specific times as instructed. however due to the aforementioned staffing issue, it's not always possible to do so. these issues sometimes resulted in me having to skip breaks and push my lunch back to complete assigned tasks and ensure their was appropriate coverage on the sales floor. my final point is the company advertises other benefits that are not made available to part time employees. but the posters and flyers mention nothing about this.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. Please know that we are dedicated to providing our associates with the best experience possible at Harbor Freight Tools. To do this, we have implemented some new time-keeping changes and we understand that it may take some time for our associates to adjust to them. Please know that we will share your feedback with the appropriate associates, as we value your input in making Harbor Freight a great place to work. We greatly appreciate all of your hard work in Sevierville and wish you the best in your future career endeavors.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee

Not a bad place

Jan 18, 2022 - Sales and Logistics Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to learn about tools and has decent upward mobility for people willing to work for it.

Cons

Customers feel very entitled a lot of the time and corporate management didn't seem very competent.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We depend on all our Associates to bring value to our hardworking customers and we’re grateful for all you do. We want you to know that your feedback is valuable as we strive to be the best place to work. We highly encourage our Associates to reach out to their HR Partners if they have any concerns to share. Thank you for your hard work and we wish you the best in your career journey!

6. 3.0

All downhill from here

May 22, 2018 - Senior Logistics Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits package is pretty good especially the medical which has helped me many times. Parking lot sales they feed you along with a Christmas party. Some days the work is very easy and you're looking for things to do to pass the time. It can be fun and challenging a lot of days.

Cons

The hours are pretty brutal. Feel like there is no balance between work and life. Being a night owl makes it hard on the body. Pushing logistics to get email numbers is stressful. If I'm a back up cashier and we both have lines of eight I will not ask each customer if they get our catalog. If not would they like to join. If they do what is there phone number. Oh no email? Let me add that for you. On top of trying to get them to join a yearly paid membership and replacement plans on certain items. Customers want a quick checkout and not waste time answering questions. I need to get back to my job and make sure I finish everything in a timely matter before I leave fo the day.

4 people found this review helpful

Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed feedback with us. Our goal is to be a great place to work, but that also means improving as we grow, and listening to our Associates every step of the way. We’re especially listening to feedback about our hours and processes and appreciate your contribution to this change. Thanks for all your hard work!

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Very Demanding!! Not Family Oriented!!

Feb 3, 2014 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bonus was good and wasn't that hard to meet. 20% discount for employees.

Cons

Hard to get quality people for minimum wage plus part timers were only allowed around 15 hours. Too many projects that senior management expected to be done in an unrealistic time frame. Senior management not very helpful and out for themselves. Expected you to sell a high percentage of extended warranties and inside track club memberships which people didn't want.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Entry level company.

Jan 6, 2014 - Assistant Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company has good health and 401K benefits, if you can get a full time position.

Cons

The company is mostly interested in part time employees and ultimately doesn't care about employee welfare. Low wages. No benefits for part time employees. The available hours are based on an unusually small percentage of sales dollars; 5.5% is considered very high. Schedules and hours are not consistent.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Harbor Freight

Feb 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is fairly good to work as a part time employee as you get PTO.

Cons

Hours vary depending solely upon the amount of money your store makes, so one week you may get 30, the next you may get 10.

Employment Branding Specialist

That is fantastic advice, and thank you for the rest of your feedback. We appreciate your work, and will use your feedback in our continuous improvement in our stores.

10. 3.0

On the job

Aug 29, 2017 - Logistics Supervisor in Pelham, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Harbor Freight does offer great benefits to full time employees that are typically very affordable. They also give employee discounts on their already extremely low prices. In my store, the team becomes very close knit like a family and other stores I've experienced are the same.

Cons

Pay could be better for the work done. Though commission is available it is near impossible to earn if you're not running a register. Workmans comp is a joke; avoid getting hurt at all costs.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 446 Reviews