KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Harbor Freight Tools

Engaged Employer

Harbor Freight Tools

Add a Review

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 110 of over 2,133 reviews

3.7
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt
1,108 Ratings
Pros
  • "Monthly bonus, lots of paid time off(in 99 reviews)

• "And they ACTUALLY value you as an asset to the business from part time associates to management(in 71 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very little monitoring of schedules by upper management (DM)(in 72 reviews)

• "Night shift, moderate work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Harbor Freight Tools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good

Jan 21, 2021 - Logistics Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good team members and hourly wage

Cons

Night shift, moderate work life balance

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We would not be able to achieve all that we do without hard-working associates like you. At Harbor Freight, we value people above all else and we believe in creating a work/life balance for all our associates. We highly encourage associates to reach out to their managers and connect with them if they have any concerns regarding their schedules. Thank you for your continued hard work at Harbor Freight and we greatly appreciate your feedback!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Great Place to Work

Jul 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many reasons why I love Harbor Freight. The culture is strong, the company is committed to continuously improving, the benefits are amazing, and I truly feel like I'm making an impact with my work. The people at HFT are some of the best people you'll meet. Everyone is really friendly and genuine. There are so many great projects and initiatives that Harbor Freight consistently works on to strengthen the culture, offer a better work/life balance, and be moving in the right direction to becoming a great place to work. Choosing this company was the best decision I ever made, and I see myself here long-term.

Cons

I don't think this is a con specific to Harbor Freight, as you'll encounter different types of people in any company that have certain personalities that don't always fit with the culture. Most of the time, it's about understanding how to better collaborate with these types of people. Overall, I really love Harbor Freight.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We are always happy to hear from our hardworking associates! We pride ourselves on being a great place to work with a culture that celebrates collaboration, community, and a work/life balance for all of our associates. We’re glad to have you on the team and appreciate your continued hard work in Calabasas, CA!

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great People work there!

Nov 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Dillon, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

decent pay and affordable benefits

Cons

Horrible HR (the absolute worst)and Area Managers - don't communicate with each other at all and under appreciate their people. Work/life balance is hard during work week schedules.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Harbor Freight values people above all else and remains dedicated to providing balance between work and life for all of our associates. Please know that we regularly monitor and record associate feedback in our efforts of continuous improvement. Good luck in your future career!

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not a Career

Dec 13, 2020 - Logistics Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Insurance 401k Pto (when you can use it) Coworkers

Cons

Lack of Technology No store pick up/ship to store Too many coupon exclusions Scheduling Stockrooms are too small for product size Most stores do not have a dock Communication from the top Processes need to be improved Expect part time people to have full time availability Sick time policy 0 work life balance if you carry keys you’ll live there High turnover Pressure to make sales and other goals

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. We would not be able to accomplish all that we do without hardworking associates like you. At Harbor Freight, our goal is to be the best place to work and that means learning every step of the way. We believe in putting people first and creating a work/life balance for all our associates. In terms of scheduling, we give our associates visibility to their schedules 2 weeks ahead of time. If our associates have any concerns in regards to their schedule, we encourage them to speak with their manager. As an organization, we continuously invest in and build our technology, ecommerce, inventory, and merchandising which is why we greatly appreciate the feedback we receive from all our customers as well as associates. If you would like to further discuss your concerns with us, please email us at culture@harborfreight.com. Thank you for your time at Harbor Freight. We wish you the best in your career journey!

5. 2.0
      Current Employee

Not what it’s portrayed once in the door

Nov 30, 2020 - Assistant Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount works on EVERYTHING in the store. Company is growing which makes for more opportunities to move up in a time where others are closing down. If you enjoying being told how to run your store 99.99% of the time, this is a great company for you

Cons

Where to begin....If you've ever worked for other retailers, this company will be a retail shock for you on what you aren't able to todo in your box. Everything is "By the book" or SOP guided down to how the office is laid out, you have very little room, if any, to go outside of that. If you are a real merchandiser, forget that knowledge as you will be told how to merch your entire store by the book. Have fun with secondary items, that same item is spread out 5+ times all over the store aside from just the home location, and you will hardly have enough to fill it all, oh and it will change monthly on you in plano change. Every decision outside of the guide has to be ran by others for approval on change. There is lots of wasted labor in the stores on tasks that have very little help with actually doing anything in the store despite what it is claimed to be doing. Technology is behind the times too, software and computers don't work properly, registers look like they have not been updated in 20 years Enjoy a work/life balance? Well despite what they lead you on with, that balance is very lost depending on who writes your schedule, there is no guide for managers to get a rotation for weekends off or required closing shifts so if you don't have a fare manager, they get the weekends and nights off and you will be stuck with back to back late/early shifts and working every weekend Work in the Logistics dept? forget about having a work life balance, you'll either work at 4am one day then come back the next day and close for sales, you consistently live on caffeine as your body will NEVER adjust to the early schedule that you got hired on for in the start. Turn over is very high in each store.

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We would not be able to accomplish all that we do without hardworking associates like yourself. Please know that we regularly monitor and record associate feedback in our efforts of continuous improvement. We can understand that our culture may not be the right fit for everyone, but we pride ourselves on creating a welcoming environment where our associates have the opportunity to flourish and succeed. Our policies and procedures are designed to protect our associates and keep them safe. We encourage our associates to reach out to their HR Partner to discuss any concerns. We greatly appreciate your continued hard work.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company Cares About Their Employees

Nov 10, 2020 - Logistics Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair Pay Promote Work-Life Balance Fantastic Benefits Package 401k

Cons

Like all large companies, communication between different departments, or, employees to HR, can sometimes go unheard, unaddressed, or left "forgotten"

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! At Harbor Freight, we agree that our work/ life balance makes us stand out. We stay committed to Continuous Improvement at all levels, including management which means regularly monitoring and recording associate feedback. We encourage associates who have questions or concerns to speak with their Store Manager. If you feel more comfortable please email me at culture@harborfreight.com.We look forward to watching you grow with us!

7. 5.0

Great Place to work

Dec 11, 2020 - Sales Associate in South Portland, ME
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, pay is good.

Cons

Not enough fulltime positions available

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We agree that work/life balance makes us stand out. We believe in paying for performance and rewarding our associates generously for the time, effort, and skill invested in collaborating together to build a best place to work. We greatly appreciate your continued hard work.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Great job for someone without kids or older kids

Dec 16, 2020 - Sales Manager in Columbia, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good insurance, average pay , paid sick time

Cons

Work Life Balance isn't there. Long hours, No consistency with scheduling, work all holidays except Thanksgiving & Christmas

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We would not be able to achieve all that we do without hard working associates like you. At Harbor Freight, our goal is to be a great place to work and that means learning as we grow every step of the way and improving at all levels, including management. We provide our associates with visibility to their schedule 2 weeks in advance so they have the opportunity to connect with their managers with any concerns regarding their hours. We understand that our culture may not be the right fit for everyone but we pride ourselves in creating a welcoming environment where our associates have the opportunity to flourish and succeed. We want you to know that we value your feedback and we will share your concerns with the appropriate HR Partner. Thank you for your hard work in Columbia, SC. We wish you the best in your career journey.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work.

Sep 11, 2020 - Store Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid corporation. They are very good with their associates. Training and compensation are well above average. Work life balance.

Cons

They usually promote managers from outside. Please try to promote more from within . It’s great for morale

Director of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Harbor Freight is dedicated to training and promoting internally. Our goal is to be a great place to work and that means learning as we grow and improving every step of the way. Thank you for your hard work in New York and we wish you the best in your future career endeavors!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good work/life balance

Oct 1, 2020 - Supervisor of Logistics in Riverside, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paid time off, work/life balance, environment, nice co-workers

Cons

Under staffed, never enough hrs to get things done.

Director of People and Culture

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we pride ourselves on being a great place to work with a culture that celebrates collaboration, community, and a work/life balance for all of our associates. We want you to know that your feedback is valuable, as we are continuing to evolve and grow as an organization. Thank you for your continued hard work in Riverside, CA!