Hargreaves Lansdown Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Christopher Hill

1. Featured Review

"Great opportunities, great people, great company....."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For young people and university leavers looking to build a career in Financial Services outside of London, you would really struggle to do better than Hargreaves Lansdown. The offices are great and in a fantastic location on Bristol's harbourside. Even for those looking in London, your standard of living here will be far better than that grim flat share in Tooting Bec. There are lots of entry points into the company, allowing you to specialise your career from an early stage. There is a strong ethos of recruiting from within, and the opportunities within are extensive. The company values itself on it's service, which by all measures is outstanding. The importance of getting it right for the client is put into everything the company does. It's positive to be part of something so successful.

I left university nearly 6 years ago and after a while searching took a job on the phones at Hargreaves Lansdown. In those 6 years I have move role a number of times. I have held positions managing small teams and large, as well as working independently on various projects. I have also been supported through various professional investment qualifications.

Within reason, senior management will always listen to people with ideas, in particular from those who are willing to challenge the status quo. This may vary from department to department, but when eventually placed in a position managing a team my managers offered me the freedom to develop and introduce new processes and procedures, I was rarely micro-managed. Senior management are extremely accessible, no one is squirrelled away in oak panelled offices here. If you really want to go and talk to the CEO about something, you can wander right up to his desk and do so.

The Hargreaves Lansdown I have experienced has been reasonably meritocratic. Everyone can't be the CEO, so don't expect to be lavished with vast pay rises, bonuses and promotions simply for doing what it says on your job spec. The rewards (both career, financial and otherwise) are there for those that are willing to put the effort in and stand out. If you genuinely care and show an interest in the future of this company, the relevant people will show care and interest you and your career.

The company is really starting to invest in its people. A lot of money is being spent on training and development, staff benefits, improving working conditions and remuneration.

I am still really at the beginning of my career, and whilst I may have made more money by bouncing around various companies, it's unlikely I would have gained the same experience or level of responsibility I have now, within a similar timeframe.

Cons

The pension could be better, considering the company consistently mail bombs clients about the importance of contributing into pensions.

It often feels like the company goes from feast to famine with resourcing. It's hard to say if it comes from poor planning at a departmental level, or reluctant and difficult sign-off processes for recruiting at higher levels (or something else). Squeezing teams puts stress on everyone's workloads, which leads to more unhappy people. I understand there are shareholders to please and margins to squeeze, but everyone would be a whole lot happier if some critical areas were run a bit fat.

The remuneration used to be below average, but to be fair the conditions are improving and the company is providing a stage for employees to be heard. If you feel that you are not remunerated fairly, then providing you can evidence this you can challenge your position with your manager/HR. There is a risk that this feeds those that shout loudest, whilst those that remain quiet go unrewarded.

Advice to Management

It's improving! I've been here 6 short years and it's already a completely different company from when I started. So please carry on what you are doing. There have been some fantastic outside hires in the last few years that have really helped accelerate the company's transformation from what felt like a big family run business, to a FTSE 100 professional company.

There is definitely an "HL way", and you'll probably agree it's worked fairly well so far. Outside perspective and recruiting specialists is absolutely vital for many areas, but never let go of the "recruit from within" ethos.

Do whatever possible to keep good people, some churn is good but too much is expensive and disruptive. Don't assume people are happy just because they don't say anything. Make sure managers have time to manage people.

There are cases of Peter Principle. Promote people that will be great at the job they are being promoted to, not just because they are great at the job they are currently doing.

Feb 9, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are delighted to see that in your six years at Hargreaves Lansdown your hard work and commitment has been rewarded through ... More

2. "Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Equity Dealer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for CV as it's a well known, blue chip firm

Professional qualifications are open to pretty much anyone who shows initiative to take them (however, don't expect a spectacular pay rise after you've completed them)

Immediate management were friendly, reasonable people

Cons

Pay/Benefits were very uncompetitive. For the same hours/tier job you could be a lot better off elsewhere . Resulted in a high turnover of staff as people caught on to this.

Loyalty/performance is not at all rewarded. This proved very, very frustrating for a lot of people who put the graft in and and were bitterly disappointed when bonus time came around.

Career progression was very limited (particularly on dealing desk).

A lot of extremely monotonous tasks were demoralising and gave little job satisfaction.

Bi-annual presentations from senior management were patronising to the extent of being offensive - the company performing poorly was justification for no bonus, the company performing well meant everyone got..........an insultingly low bonus?

Advice to Management

Value performance/loyalty

Pay better

May 2, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your honest feedback. It's great to hear that your experience of your immediate management was positive and that you felt there were plenty of opportunities to undertake professional ... More

3. "Call centre work"

Former Employee - Pensions Administrator in Briston, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Pensions Administrator in Briston, England (UK)

I worked at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friday drinks. IT department was best I've come across. They offer very good financial services.

Cons

Working on the help desk was basically like working in a posh call centre, though they hate that term. You were very closely monitored all the time and you had to answer calls all day. It was very badly paid for a new starter, and the work was not at all interesting. I'm so glad I only there worked for 3 months.

Advice to Management

Pay more because employees aren't going to find intrinsic benefit from doing the job.

May 2, 2017 – HR Business Partner

It is great to hear that you felt that our IT department the best that you have worked with, that you enjoyed the social side of HL and you were impressed by the products we provide our clients with ... More

"Pensions Helpdesk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

Pay for professional examinations, good people to work with (in general)

Cons

Senior management think they are above everyone else, lack of decent career opportunities, basically just a call hotline for pensions

Feb 27, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that we have great people to work with and we pay for professional exams to help boost employee career prospects. We’ve been working hard on career ... More

6. "Positive Work Place"

I have been working at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time

Pros

Interesting work, friendly staff, good opportunity for overtime.

Cons

Slightly unstructured training as a lot of new starters coming in.

Feb 9, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. It is great to hear that you are enjoying the work and you have been made to feel welcome by your team. With regards to training we ... More

7. "Project team"

Pros

Good working environment, building close to city centre

Cons

Poor progression, and no real management

Feb 9, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hi, Thanks for your feedback. We have created the Career Development Path to assist staff in better understanding where individual roles fit within the organisation and what is required to ... More

8. "A good place to start"

Current Employee - Apprentice in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HL is a great place to begin your career but employees are not valued by management.

Cons

Employees are treated as disposable and the overall benefits packages are poor.

Advice to Management

Learn the value and importance of your core staff.

Mar 1, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hi, We agree that HL is a great starting point for a career, having seen many successful careers that started here. However, we’re saddened to hear that you feel employees are not valued. Would ... More

9. "HL"

I have been working at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time

Pros

there is lots of scope to learn about different areas of finance for example pensions and investments.

Cons

the benefits package is perhaps not on the same level with competitors'. however HL are in the process of reviewing this

Advice to Management

allow for more progression from the helpdesk into other sectors of the business, allow more time for personal training and development

Mar 1, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hi, Thank you for writing a review of your experiences working at HL. We feel we are developing a learning culture that encourages staff to actively study and complete various career-related, and ... More

10. "Good company but little scope for progression on the trading desk"

Former Employee - Equity Dealer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company with nice team, good management, look after their staff. The hours are fine for finance and you can leave most of the time as soon as 5 comes.

Cons

Not much room for progression on the trading desk as you have dealing desk manager and everyone else pretty much.

Advice to Management

Management is good, think of new ways to progress employees and grow them so that it also grows the company and makes it better

Feb 9, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hi, We’re pleased to hear that your overall experience working at HL was positive. We are committed to providing our staff with the best possible opportunities to progress, with an increasing number ... More

"Control and Review"

I worked at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time

Pros

Enjoyed working as part of a friendly team, where team work was a high priority in order to meet deadlines

Nice location close to the harbourside

Cons

Pay was not great however, it was an excellent foot in the door which has enabled me to further my career

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give to management, other than the fact that i was there for over a year and didn't have a performance review in that time.

Feb 27, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience of working at Hargreaves Lansdown – it is great to hear you enjoyed the working dynamics. With regards to pay, in 2016 we conducted a large review ... More