Hargrove Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim P. McGill

1. "Going in a good direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Hargrove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best teammates I have gotten to work with. My immediate supervisor and the VP of Operations over him are really great and always have our back. One thing that has impressed me with Hargrove since I started there a year and a half ago was the effort the company has put into improvement. I came in at a time where they were working to fix procedures, quality, and consistency of products, and they have done a wonderful job in those areas. They have also done a lot to get new people into key positions that have improved many of the 'cons' listed below. The company is on a good trajectory even in the areas if could use improvement.

Cons

Relatively low pay for the industry and area. Some interdepartmental politics that I really can't stand, and would be worse if my supervisor didn't shield us from most of it. A person's experience with Hargrove is going to vary depending on what department they are under. The inconsistency seems to stem from who is the VP in charge of your area. There is often a lack of communication between departments and a ‘this is how we do it even if it makes things harder for everyone else’ mentality that breaks down team work for the overall projects—and this is not a comment on a single person so much as a culture problem.

Advice to Management

If you could break down some of the separation between the departments so that areas like account management, sales, design, and operations saw each other as all part of one whole then you would go a long ways towards fixing a lot of problems. Too often the different departments are worlds apart.

2. "Sales Assistant"

I worked at Hargrove full-time

Pros

Relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Management was relatively approachable.

Cons

none. I was not there long enough to provide that information

Advice to Management

N/A

"Friendship based company"

I have been working at Hargrove full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay good people on the working level - people will help train you since mgmt won't

Cons

Where to start - crappy pay, extremely long hours, no promotion opportunities....The COO and all the directors are friends - nobody has a chance to move up due to this...cost overruns poor management..lack of understanding the employees

Advice to Management

Start replacing all our upper mgmt...none of them do any work..this company is 100% perception mgmt

"Young and Fresh out of college and have 17 rooomates this is the pace for you."

I worked at Hargrove full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

10 years I could say - there were some the best people I ever met, however because of upper management the seasoned employees have all quit or been fired.

$100.00 Christmas Bonus

Cons

Open Discrimination

Excessive Work Hours

LOW SALARY

Clique Orientated

Poor Management

High Turn-around

NO LOYALTY

Advice to Management

There is no advice that they need, they continue to receive increases and reap the benefits while their employees do all of the work

"No room for and advancement resulting in lack of increases and lack of motivation."

Current Employee - Accounting Department in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Accounting Department in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Hargrove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best teammates to work with. Lower management (supervisor) lacks communication, organizational and team building skills. Be sure to document EVERYTHING! Lower management has no prior or current management skills and blocks advancement of any kind.

Cons

Lower management refuses to assist with any advancement or raise. Mid to upper are not in touch with teammates enough to recognize when a valued individual is having problems with lower management nor do they follow up with the teammate on exit interviews.

Advice to Management

Owner and Management need to have a confidential meeting with department they oversee without presence of lower management. Also, when a team member approaches HR regarding a problem they should take the time to review the gathered documentation.

"Full of Nepotism & Fake management"

I worked at Hargrove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Receiving a paycheck. Industry experience, it's a decent stepping stone and it stops there.

Cons

Unless you are close with the higher ups in management, you're kept on a tight leash. They openly practice discrimination (especially the Directors/hiring managers). It's no coincidence, only certain people with a certain "look" get promoted and hired for front office and project management. If you don't fit their ideal of what's considered as "right for the job", your chances of progressing or getting into the company are nonexistent. There is no department and organizational structure. Many of the Directors are a joke (ie. account management & events). These Directors receive thousands in pay increases, yet many of them complain about their jobs and frequently make mistakes that often cost the company in over spending. They are never reprimanded for their actions either. There is no budget on project spending. Yet they give you the good old excuse,"we can't afford to give pay increases". Everyone acts like their own boss, so there is no sense of comradery. I have yet to see true leadership and proper training.

Advice to Management

Get new Directors. Quit hiring your tennis club friend's daughter just because you owe him one.

8. "HG"

Former Employee - E&I Designer/Drafter I in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - E&I Designer/Drafter I in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Hargrove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is definitely a family and well respected company. They treat everyone equal and quality is their motto.

Cons

Employees sometimes have difficulty communicating with each other between departments on certain projects, sometimes resulting in a late deadline or promised bid date.

Advice to Management

Better communication is in order as well as better training procedures to be given.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I worked at Hargrove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid every week and the staff is nice. There is free parking. They offer short and long term disability.

Cons

Senior Management. Disorganized. Refuses to communicate with each other. And they don't treat their employees with respect. The senior management has a "just do what I'm telling you" not, "since you are the person doing the actual work, I will listen to your suggestions" attitude. Highest turnover rate I've ever seen. Especially in their front office. All of the HR staff, the account executives, the receptionist and the two assistant positions have all been replaced several times this year.

Also, no refrigerator for staff to keep their food so you're forced to bring in one of your own or buy lunch everyday.

Low pay and health insurance is very expensive. Likes to have everyone in the office in salary so they don't have to pay overtime.

Advice to Management

Have meetings with each other to discuss the operations of the company and listen to each other as well as your staff. Respect your employees.

10. "Best and Worst of times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Hargrove (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Absolutely ZERO work life balance, 12 hour+ days a norm

11. "Good company"

Current Employee - Maryland in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Maryland in Lanham, MD

Pros

Family owned and nice company

Cons

Salaries could be better, yes

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees