Harkins Theatres Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel E Harkins

Pros
  • Friends, free movies, a paycheck (in 101 reviews)

• They will gradually train you in the basics of custodial, sales, and food prep responsibilities which makes it a great choice for a first job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Some managers don't really interact with the team members (in 13 reviews)

• Sometimes tends to be a bit like high school, which is bad (in 12 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Harkins Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got along well with the other team leads, team members, and most managers. Some managers were unprofessional and lacked iniative but they were eventually weeded out. A lot of fun. They work well with your availability. Starting pay is above minimum.

Cons

The work isn't very rewarding unless you want to eventually become a senior or general manager. A lot of complaining from team members. Trash runs in pouring rain. Closers were held at fault for problems that were created by openers regardless of it being something you can fix (e.g. dropped hotdogs or refunds thrown in the trash blamed on the closer when it was time for inventory).

2. "It's alright, I guess."

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

Pros

Flexible hours
    Great Community
    Opportunities for Advancement

Cons

Managers can lack integrity and/or initiative.

Advice to Management

Managers seem to not care after a while and get comfortable cutting corners.

3. "Good First Job"

Current Employee - Team Member in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Member in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Harkins Theatres part-time

Pros

They will gradually train you in the basics of custodial, sales, and food prep responsibilities which makes it a great choice for a first job... plus you get free movies

Cons

Almost always work weekends, frequently cut early, open 365 days a year

Advice to Management

Cut down on micro-managing

5. "Team member"

Pros

Fast paced, exciting people and free movies

Cons

Long hours and busy evenings/weekends.

Advice to Management

Less formal, wish they helped out associates more

6. "Good second job"

Current Employee - Team Member in Chino Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chino Hills, CA

I have been working at Harkins Theatres part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very flexible hours, staff is young but fun.

Cons

customers can be a bit much, can be rather hectic during peak hours.

7. "Floor Staff"

I worked at Harkins Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got some good hrs in

Cons

Management showed favoritism toward certain employees. Work wasn't dispersed equally.

8. "Great beginning job"

Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the managers and team but the environment was a bit harsh. Sometimes it's you but most of the time, the managers are on your tail about the smallest things. It's what makes theatre companies, Harkins, successful in presenting themselves well.

Cons

Too much tasks for little pay, then some more.

Advice to Management

None

9. "Great first job, terrible morale for a career"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Chino Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Chino Hills, CA

I worked at Harkins Theatres part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers. The people I worked with are the reason I stayed with Harkins as long as I did. My team members and fellow team leaders knew the struggle and we often worked together to make our work flow smoothly as possible despite the many daily obstacles. One more pro, but mostly for me personally, is that in my years of working here and having to deal with such a wide variety of personalities (customers and coworkers alike) that it helped me figure out what I want my post-secondary studies to focus on, which is Anthropology in Business and Industry and how workers are treated by their employers, coworkers, and customers: I often treated my work-space as what anthropologists call a Participatory Observation as a coping mechanism for when things would get really bad with customers or if it was just a bad day at work.

Cons

What made it difficult for me to give my 100% at this job over time was the management. The turn-over rate for management was out of control, even at the GM level. When I left the company Harkins had not opened their Cerritos location yet, so they were going through an assembly-line of managers in training and half-ass training them at that on how to do different management duties properly, meanwhile the team leads who work under these managers have to compensate for their manager's ineptitude (which was a frequent occurrence at my location) because the managers never worked these positions often or long enough to become adept and competent. As a team lead I found myself constantly having to pick up the slack of my managers while simultaneously trying to keep up with my own work AND oversee my team members to the best of my ability. I sometimes found myself doing the work of 3-5 people because my managers would be AWOL, they'd be inattentive, or they would be completely inept and made me seriously perplexed on how a person so unqualified got such high of a position in management in the first place.
    Another serious con that I have a huge problem with is their ableism. Many team members have been told they cannot be considered for promotion because their limitations (aka the REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS that would be made for them) would be "an inconvenience to the company" (which seemed to be my former GM's mantra for anything personal going on in someone's life, whether it be having a medical procedure done, or someone needing to go to their grandparent's funeral, and those are simply two examples I can come up with at the top of my head because I know he has said that to many people for a litany of reasons). I myself never bothered to ascend to management because of some personal issues that I did not want under scrutiny because I would be "an inconvenience," and I did not want to pursue a management position and deal with subsequent legal action for the inevitable discrimination I would have faced because I know for a fact I wouldn't be the first person to have this problem at Harkins had this occurred.

Advice to Management

First and foremost for legal purposes get your managers, GM's included, training on equal opportunity employment ASAP ESPECIALLY IN CALIFORNIA, and a firm reminder of what REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION means. Your GM's in particular need training in regards to gender equality and need to learn what the term"micro-aggression" means because your current Cerritos GM practically has gender-targeted and disabled-targeted micro-aggression pumping through his veins. In regards to training, train your managers with more diligence; give them multiple shifts of a position (proj., inv., floor, etc), aka, give them SOME TIME to allow them to actually become skilled at the job you are training them for! When you give an AM1 one inventory shift, wait another month to give them another inventory shift after almost forgetting everything from their first training shift, and then throw them into an inventory shift opening weekend of Avengers, don't be surprised when your inventory is off!! Don't be surprised when something goes wrong with a projector! Don't be surprised when money is off with your drops! You can't expect a manager to be completely adept at a certain position with only one or two shifts of training in that position and no real experience to handle blockbuster opening weekends. RAISE YOUR STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE FOR YOUR MANAGERS and then maybe your team leads will actually be excited to work alongside their management (as I did 2010-2013) as opposed to the subsequent years I spent dreading coming to work because 1. manager turn-over rate was out of control and AM's were jumping ship left and right because of the new General management and 2. I know I'm working ______ shift with ________ as my manager and therefore I'm essentially working by myself that night. That was such a regular occurrence for me and my fellow team leads/ members that when I left they were in dire need of team leads because everyone was jumping ship. My blood pressure dropped after I left this place and I didn't realize how physically and mentally stressful this job was for me, and the fact I was doing it for no more than 50 cents more per hour than the people I'm supervising added salt onto the very stressful wound. This job is the epitome of slave-wage.
    One more thing, the fact your company is REGRESSING in regards to tattoos? I seriously don't understand, because the past five years I have never seen a tattoo on an employee that was offensive or made it incapable of doing their job or working just as hard as the guy/gal next to him who is tattoo-less. You almost hired a team lead in 2015 who was apparently quite qualified for the job but then had to turn her away during orientation AFTER already agreeing to hire her, because NO ONE in any of the interviews bothered to ask her if she had tattoos, because EVEN YOUR MANAGERS didn't think to ask it because it's such an ASININE thing to not hire a perfectly-qualified person over. Had this been 2013 and I did this review, it would probably be an inverted version of the review I'm leaving here now; During that time you had two senior managers that have been possibly the best bosses I have ever worked for in my entire working career. Those two managers (now working in MV the last I heard, one of them GM now!) made coming to work worth the BS I had to put up with, which is why I'm extremely torn about leaving such a bad review, because this company does not treat its lower-level employees well AT ALL but these two managers made up for a lot of bad things when I had the fortune of working for them. My review for career opportunities would be higher too if you didn't pay your employees--managers included--slave wages. If you increase the wages, you can increase standards for qualification. When you have more qualified and adept employees, they do their job more effectively and efficiently. When your employees do their job efficiently, your business does well. When your employees do their job efficiently AND the business does well, morale goes up. When morale goes up, your employees have an incentive to work harder. And the cycle repeats itself. Which is why I give only 1 star for career opportunities because although it is entirely possible to advance in this company you will not advance economically.

10. "Good for a first job, but horrible overall!"

Former Employee - Team Member in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Member in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

free movies with 1 guest at any time, very flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Management was horrible, only way to move up in the business is to be the yes-man to management and most promotions are to people who are bad with the position, they write you up for days you are sick even if you have a doctors note, your pay is very low even for management (I make more part time still in college with a different job then a full time senior manager)

Advice to Management

Go deeper by sending reps to talk to long time standing employees and new employees from corporate because there are rumors that more than just the theater i worked at had major management issues.

11. "Overall a good experience"

Pros

Loved the people I worked with, free movies and a (usually) fun atmosphere

Cons

High turnover for team member/leaders and even managers, so you might not always have a great team to work with, breaks are limited and often non-existent for team members