Harlan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Broecker

1. "It was ok. I was an Animal Technician."

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Dublin, VA
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Dublin, VA

I worked at Harlan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady work, and not having to put makeup on everyday. Could go in my pj's if I wanted caz ya change into scrubs.

Cons

Too many showers, twice daily, drys your skin &hair out. Shipping days took all night.

Advice to Management

Idk been awhile since I've been there.

2. "Former employee at corporate in Indianapolis, Indiana"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I wish there was one.

Cons

It's a tragedy that mice cages were over crowded and filthy due to not enough help in the barriers. Inspection after inspection, mice were found running around and had to be euthanized. The USDA found over crowded cages and reported on it several times. I was part of a regulatory committee so I saw first hand the issues and reports from the USDA. Senior leadership would not approve hiring that was desperately needed in the barriers for the sake of the animals yet they had their houses professionally cleaned weekly (I saw the invoices that the company paid for), flew only first class, etc. The reports I read regarding the treatment of these animals in the barriers due to lack of help was heart wrenching. There were a lot of times after I left, I struggled with whether I should call the USDA for ethical reasons but they saw the conditions first hand and addressed a lot of the issues with Harlan. Bottom line, Harlan does NOT care about the humane treatment of the animals.

Advice to Management

David Broecker appeared to be the first CEO who cared after Steve Sullivan. Although, the problem is he is not dialed in enough with what was happening in the barriers. He has senior leaders that report to him and he doesn't get his hands dirty with the barriers, etc.

"Wouldn't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Harlan (More than a year)

Pros

I truly don't have any pros.

Cons

Ridiculously low pay for the industry. Very little support or training, with a lot of record keeping/ paperwork and job specific work. Which, in turn leads to set-up to fail and burn out of new techs. Really no opportunity for advancement and little/no raises.

Advice to Management

Develop a better training program. Pay needs to be increased.

"Wonderful people from management down to the people I work along side of!"

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I love this job. The teamwork from my fellow workers and management is great. We all share the concern not just for the quality and continuity of care of our animals but for each other. The Job is fairly easy, very physical busy work with an eye for detail. I love it.

Cons

None at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work supervisors and group leaders

"Company that promotes from within, only if your incompetent and suck up to the correct people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, VA

I have been working at Harlan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well, the Benefits are ok. Compensation is awful for 9$ an hour, especially compared to newer companies moving into the area. There is no such thing as promotions, whenever one opens up, they already have it in their mind who kissed up the most, and will promotion them. Free Lunch!

Cons

Constant dressed top to bottom in "scubs" compensation is awful, working constant overtime and most weekends. Same free lunch gets old after about the first week (there is nothing healthy there to eat) no such thing as promotions, or raises. Have worked there for 5 years and received 2 raises for a total of .56 cents. The Management team has no clue what they are doing from the bottom down, you will learn on your own at this company. It was purchased by a very well respected company, so hopefully they will clean house and start a new once they realize how bad management at this site is.

Advice to Management

LOL what management? Don't be afraid to hire people that are more competent that you are out of fear of losing your job. Employees never stay because they realize how awful this specific site is run. There is a reason Harlan was 2xx million dollars in debt, it's because of managers at sites like this.

6. "great place to work nice job"

Former Employee - Dri Ver in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Dri Ver in Frederick, MD

I worked at Harlan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly people all around nice place to work

Cons

seeing new things every day

Advice to Management

its all good ! , I would not change any thing.

"This place is a mess. It's a joke. Everyone in the business knows this."

Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harlan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Literally nothing except for the true workers of this company are very good people who are used by management to carry the weight and shoulder all the real work. This is not news at most companies, but when you see the pay difference and the conditions then you know something is way off.

Cons

Many execs live in Canada and have company paid town homes which is fine for them but company says $$$ not there for 401k match or merit. Sales leadership corrupt, unethical and so poorly regarded that some are forbidden to go to customer locations. Least we not forget all the "scrap" from production or whatever you call the dead rats now. No quality, no ethics, high turnover, low pay, no 401k match, downgraded company credit rating, closing of sites, a VC company taking their loss.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. You're history at the bigger Indy Dx and Pharma companies will not save this place. If you are so proud of the work you do, why don't you list Harlan Labs on your LinkedIn pages? You should be afraid of the repercussions of working at this place. There's a reason why the activists target this industry.

8. "Overall, it was a pleasant experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Some of the best reasons are:
    Benefits
    Work Environment
    People
    Stability

Cons

Compensation
    Lack of internal promotion opportunities

9. "Not a bad place to work"

Pros

They provide an excellent benefits package

Cons

You are required to work some weekends

10. "Dont apply unless you want to do everyone else's job on top of yours and can handle dealing with death daily"

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician

Pros

Pay isn't bad
    only work weekends on a once a month rotating schedule
    most work is pretty independant and self paced
    easy to maintain a 40+ hour a week schedule
    Most of the people that work there are pretty nice, fun people to work with.

Cons

pay is lower than other companies that hire for the same position, animal cages are often overcrowded and animals are frequently stressed to the point they die and/or resort to cannibalism so if you don't have a strong stomach for pulling out a cage with half eaten mice in it then this isn't a good fit for you, many workers get behind and they rely on the harder workers to carry their job as well as the jobs of those that are absent from work, or simply can't independantly work at a pace to achieve the minimum standard, so you will often find yourself being rushed to get your job done so that you can pick up someone else's slack. A lot of animals are euthanized daily, I often pulled 400+ animals out each day to be put down including everything from pinkie mice to adults from only two units, not counting the dead ones i would pull out that were half eaten due to stress or cannibalism caused by overcrowded cages or starvation after a weekend. I worked in an isolator unit, not a barrier unit, and the isolators are very difficult and physically demanding to work in. You will be attempting to work in a 7 ft tall isolator, standing on a stool with your arms in sleeves that are attached to the unit at set intervals making reaching around very difficult and you are constantly pressing yourself and your face into the plastic side of the isolator to get to the animals. Isolators themselves are in poor condition, consistantly splitting at the seams and getting holes in them, which contaminates the "sterile" environment, the solution for this is taping over the holes on the outside until they can patch it with what is basically hot melted plastic, which inevitably breaks open again within a couple weeks. Basically you are constantly going to be "patching" your isolator, counting animals but the counting does not ever go towards helping in alieviating the overcrowding for the animals, euthanizing animals by the hundreds (if you are dealing with mice), chasing mice that escape the cages (which generally ends in them being euthanized once you catch them), cleaning cages, throwing food on top of cages, and cleaning your unit, then when you get done with yours, you get to do it for someone else. There is no real room for professional growth or pay increases and you will jump through hoops to maintain a "sterile" environment, which is not really sterile at all.

Advice to Management

increase the pay to compete with other companies in your industry, find a means to deal with the animal overcrowding problems, as well as the cage security problems and general animal welfare issues. Give your employees more room for professional growth and pay increases.