Harland Clarke Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance is at times difficult (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management walks around like they have no clue there's a problem when we all know they know (in 9 reviews)

1. "Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly good pay, nice office, that's about it.

Cons

INCREDIBLY outdated processes, people dress like slobs (management wearing flip flops & athletic shoes), dying industry, dying company. The accounting makes 0 sense and they try to use too many systems for all their holding companies so everything is out of sync. Upper management walks around like they have no clue there's a problem when we all know they know. Training was beyond awful and you're just thrown to the wolves. If you're an educated, hard working individual, stay away from this company or you WILL be miserable.

Advice to Management

Completely scrap all your ancient processes and start all over. Work towards integrating your systems better. And stop fooling employees in the interview process and acting like it's not as bad as it truly is. Stop acquiring dying outdated businesses and move your focus in a new direction. Checks, Scantron forms, and printers are a dying industry.

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few legacy employees still remain.

Cons

All about profits and senior leadership is not concerned with company values

"Started out fun, but went downhill."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, ONE supervisor was great (the rest sucked), they had okay perks like tickets to basketball and hockey games, schedule was mid-day so it was not terrible, sometimes they would do recognition events, HR willing to work with agents sometimes on scheduling requests.

Cons

Trainers were unknowledgeable, all of PTO was given at the beginning of the year so it was easy to run through it all and then get penalized if a real emergency came up, lots of favoritism between managers and employees, raises were a joke (I had great reviews and the highest raise I got was 11 cents) no room for growth unless willing to relocate, tons of cliques and drama

Advice to Management

if you're going to fire an employee and they ask for a reason that you're firing them, actually give it to them! Supervisors need to treat ALL employees on a team equally and stop picking out favorites. Certain supervisors on the Bank of America side need to stop sleeping with people on their team.

"NO DIVERSITY/ ROACHES EVERY WHERE"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX

Pros

3 weeks paid training to sit and do nothing

Cons

The management is horrible! One trainer was dingy and the other was EXTEMELY RUDE! No WORK LIFE BALANCE. 5 Occurrences and you out!

Advice to Management

HIGHER MORE THEN ONE BLACK PERSON IN MANAGEMENT!

6. "None"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke part-time (More than a year)

Pros

doesnt hire much it to the

Cons

managers never present it to the

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice it to the

"Embarrassing"

Former Employee - Mailroom Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mailroom Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros to this place. Do not go to the Phoenix plant. Management sucks. No organization.

Cons

If you like working every Saturday and being under appreciated with getting crapped on from managers everyday. Then go apply. They have benefits but truthfully it's not worth it. The Phoenix plant has nothing positive. It's actually dangerous. People get physically hurt on a daily or weekly basis. Too much machinery in the plant and the management and upper management does not care about people getting hurt. All they care about is the numbers.

Advice to Management

Fire all of your phoenix managers, hr and upper management and start over. They are completely useless.

"Not what was promissed"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO IF you can use it. (I was never able to get a day approved.)
    Medical insurance is offered but is not very good.
    Mostly Mon-Friday

Cons

I was never able to get any time off approved for doctor appointment, INR's or even just to spend time with my family. I was told that when I talked to my manager about taking time off to get married that I "needed to call my friends and family to let them know we needed to change the date and then plan the wedding around Harland Clarkes availability." I was not even able to use a heating pad as a form of natural pain relief when I was made to work with blood clots in my leg because I was told that it may trip a breaker. (you should see pot luck day when they have 10 crockpots plugged into a power strip and then plugged in to the same desk.)
    I felt like I was constantly being bullied by co workers that were allowed to say passive aggressive things to me because my supervisor shared some personal issues of mine with them.
    I was told when I became a perminate employee I would be able to work an earlier shift so I could go to dr app and volunteer at my kids school and after 2 months of trying to get an earlier shift I finally just gave up. Especially when a class of new employees were coming out to the floor with earlier shifts than mine.

Advice to Management

I dont even know where to begin.

"JHH vs. CA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're an old CA ee, they will like you.

Cons

If you're an old JHH ee, they don't

Advice to Management

Stop managing like you did 30 years ago!

"BOA JUST BUY OUT HC...."

Former Employee - Check Order Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Check Order Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Co workers, Benifits. They'll Work with your schedule but you must be a contractor to adjust your schedule before you get hired on.

Cons

Okay, where do I even start?! Takes more than 4 months to get converted from a contactor to an employee.... Your really working for BOA, not HC! Bank owns this part of the HC de department, most important they're so many 2 faced people in management. Soooo many people quit or get fired it's seriously a revolving door working there. Raises for specialist I is a total joke. ( 2 cents , 8 cents , maybe 50 cents ) depending on the supervisor. Speaking about supervisors especially mine, SHE was the most selfish supervisor I could even be supervised by. They don't look out for you at all! And kissed so much butt to the managers. I recommend you run while you have a chance. Also if your bilingual RUN.! you all are the busiest specialists is the center totally not worth extra 50 cents....

Advice to Management

No advice you all are have your heads so high up there. There's no telling you anything.

"Stuck in the Stone Ages"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice, considerate and friendly employees
    - Work/life balance

Cons

- Harland Clarke is in the business of preserving existing businesses and market share, not developing new products or services nor creating value in the market. They are dying a slow death, or as the leadership likes to say, "managed decline."
    - There's an inability to innovate within the company, which is both cultural and structural. Attempts to drive new growth channels internally have failed, largely because the slow-moving organization can't get out of the way of itself. Since organic growth isn't happening, they've looked externally and purchased Valassis for $1.8 billion. So now when junk mail fills your mailbox each week (such as Red Plum) you'll know that this is Harland Clarke's new and exciting growth vehicle for the business
    - A fear of making decisions permeates throughout the organization. Employees are "yes-men" at every level of the organization, from production line workers to the CEO, who follows MacAndrews & Forbes
    - The employee base, while very kind and friendly, is the most unhealthy I've ever seen in terms of weight, diet, exercise, etc. While HC offers health care, I found private market insurance to be more affordable because, as an employee on the company's health care plan, I'm subsidizing so many unhealthy co-workers. And when it comes to their health and wellness department, tobacco cessation is their #1 priority...another reminder that this company is stuck in decades past

Advice to Management

Figure out how you are going to provide real value to customers across the next decade, and position the company for the future. You missed the electronic payments boom 10-15 years ago, you missed the mobile payments boom of the past five years, and judging by the $1.8B acquisition of Valassis, you see the future as being more targeted junk mail in people's mailboxes. Meanwhile your employee base is aging, your technology is outdated, the businesses of your key customers are struggling, and companies are innovating all around you. Sadly, since the entire executive leadership team is male, grey haired and balding, they can coast into the sunset of retirement by continuing to effectively "manage the decline" of this business. But meanwhile, there are two full generations of smart, talented employees who would never think twice about joining Harland Clarke because they want to be part of the future, not the past.