Harland Clarke Reviews | Glassdoor

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No Technology advancement and poor Work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management walks around like they have no clue there's a problem when we all know they know (in 9 reviews)

"Sales"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HC is all about what I can do for the customer. They are all about positive attitude. They do not push the stats you need to meet as hard as some companies.

Cons

It's hard to take time off. They hardly work with you to get the time you need off. If you work nights, you are pretty much at the bottom of the stack. The workforce department(scheduling) won't do much to push through time unless a manager talks to them. They are all about what can we do for HC not what HC can do for you.

Advice to Management

Actually have a open door policy. Be open to listen to situations and see what can be done to fix the problems.

2. "Not how it is portrayed by leadership."

Current Employee - Operator in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Operator in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits overall.

Cons

Rude management. You feel more like a number to them rather than a valued employee

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

3. "Client Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Client Support Specialist in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Client Support Specialist in Lisle, IL

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria
    401K Match up to 5%
    Dress as you may
    Vacation days and sick days rolled into one - as new employee you start with 15.

Cons

The clients you get aren't very by good, especially since most banks get marketing services for free - which makes the products less valuable.

Backstabbing employees throw you under the bus.

Hire and promote women mainly.

Terrible management which does not know processes or people.

No work from home policy.

Hires inexperienced talent, most of which are not professional at all.

Advice to Management

Should have kept your smart employees and built teams around them.

"The only reason I'm giving HC a 2nd star is because of their extensive training."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at HC in Salt Lake City for almost 5 years. When I first started I thought I had the best job in the world (don't judge, I was right out of high school, I didn't know any better) because my starting wage was $11/hr and the perks were decent. If you're a top performer, you have the OPPORTUNITY to win stuff like gift cards, prizes, etc on a monthly basis. That had dwindled pretty significantly by the time I finally left.
    Like my review title says, they put a lot of time/money/effort into making their customer service employees the best in the business. The training I received from this company made me a hot commodity when I started looking for a new job. Because of all the skills I learned and perfected here at HC, I ended up getting offers from every company I applied to after I threw in the towel here. If you want to learn skills that make you an amazing customer service rep and look great on your resume, this is the place for you. Its not a bad starting point for someone that's never been in customer service before.
    The 401k is decentish,
    Benefits are alright.

Cons

1. Pay
    They are in NO WAY compareable salary wise. Starting pay is $11/hr. There are 5 different call centers within a 5 minute radius that all have a higher starting wage, by more than $1.

You do get an increase every 6 months, but its almost an insult, even if you're a top performer. My best raise out of the five years I worked at HC was 26 cents, and that was with a near perfect review score, being top 3% in the first quarter of that review period. My manager when I left and gave my exit interview told me that they are only allowed to give a 1% increase each year, so split that in half, and then create a ranging scale on who gets what based off performance. I started at $11/hr. I ended at $13.26.

Pay is why I left. I couldn't afford to bust my butt for this company any longer, and get paid poop for it. I split being an interim supervisor between myself and another employee for 2 weeks before management opened up the replacement position. I went to HR to get a general idea of what I could expect salary wise if I applied and got the offer. Its NEVER a good sign when HR gives you a deposition before answering a simple question - most people don't become a supervisor because of the money, they do it for the experience. Translation? The increase would be minimal, and it turned out to be $4000 UNDER the minimum salary for a supervisor position.

3. Promotions
    Promotions to a level 2 specialist were based off of 6 months or more of exceptional stats. The problem is that when you do as many burst projects as I did your stats start over every single time. Or, if you're unfortunate like I was, your temporary supervisor doesn't bother to monitor your accomplishments or send them on back to your normal supervisor. Over the course of 5 years I changed supervisors more than 13 times. That's almost three times a year. That made it almost impossible to ever get my promotion to L2. By the time I finally got it, I was already done and looking for a new job. Too little, too late.

2. Temp services for recruiting
    The turnover rate was astronomical, not because of the training, but because of the people being hired and the meager start wage. New hire classes would start with roughly 20. On average, only 2-5 would make it out of training.

Advice to Management

Stop using 4+ temp agencies to recruit new employees.
    Start paying employees what they are worth!!! Its pointless to spend so much time money and resources to create perfect customer service agents, then losing them to other companies just because you can't bother to at least try and be competitive salary wise with the other call centers in the same area. The company I work for now is right up the street, and I started out at $1 more an hr than the wage I left HC with after 5 years. My first promotion/raise was 3 months after starting and bumped me up an additional 70 cents an hr.

"Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible in terms of working from the office or from home. Courteous and wonderful staff. Really enjoyed my boss. Challenging work.

Cons

Company has serious issues when it comes to overall maturity of various business processes. Every company owned by the holding company is in a silo, which makes it difficult to do IT work for. Company purchased technology based on the buzz words and not by first evaluating the business needs. Culture can tend to get very political (business wise).

Advice to Management

Strive to make the culture there less workplace politics motivated, meaning that the workplace politics should strive to make the workplace a more enjoyable place to work, rather than the workplace politics serving key individuals and managers. Integrate and mature the IT organization within the business. Develop business processes and standards that don't prohibit work, but rather enhance productivity. Provide for clearly defined career paths and how to achieve those goals.

"Always told how good we are, but..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here do a tremendous job with minimal leadership support. Almost everyone will do whatever it takes to make their department, job, the project, a success.

We are regularly reminded what a great a job we do and how "appreciated" we are, but...

Cons

with one major exception: pay. Everything is about cutting costs. "Magic" and "miracles" are rewarded with trophies and one-time checks, maybe. Only if your leadership takes to time to nominate you.

We are reminded our raises/pay are "in-line" with area averages. However no one I know (including this site) can point to any example that bears that out.

Hourly staff got the shaft years ago and were made salaried. (Overtime dodge.) New fed rules won't help current employees much with it's wide loopholes.

If you're in the right click you will get promotions. These are handed out mostly to friends, not solid contributors.

"order acceptance"

Former Employee - Order Acceptance in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Order Acceptance in High Point, NC

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible hours, working with a good team

Cons

not much sharing about new things

Advice to Management

pay attention to employees

"Misplaced focus"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The people ( co-workers) who were like a family

Cons

Short sighted management, lack of focus, favoritism.

Advice to Management

Value talent, respect people ( dont just rely on lip service)

"Not what it use to be."

Current Employee - CCR in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - CCR in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment can be nice,coworkers are very kind and helpful when your learning new things.

Cons

I have been with the company for over six years and my pay has increased so little that it has not went up two dollars in this time frame with good scores on my reviews. In the same time frame they have eliminated at least have of the benefits and all bonuses. They have lost a lot of their tenured representatives due to not keeping up with the going rate on these type of jobs. It is sad it used to be a very nice company to work for ..

Advice to Management

Increase the pay rate to at least to the surrounding competitors rates. Show more appreciation to your experienced representatives and eliminate the outsourcing that has just caused more work for the american representatives who have to correct their mistakes and calm the customers down.

"To Big For Their Own Good"

Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good managers and really great people

Cons

Micro-managmenment killed the spirit of a great company

Advice to Management

start over