Harland Clarke Reviews | Glassdoor

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No Technology advancement and poor Work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management walks around like they have no clue there's a problem when we all know they know (in 9 reviews)

"Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance really is possible here. Very diverse company. Strong business likely to do well during economic down turns. It is a good place to work.

Cons

Not the greatest pay. If you are very ambitious you may want to look somewhere else. If you take a job make sure you max your starting pay. Do not assume it will go up if you do well.

Advice to Management

You need to pay key talent before they leave.

2. "warehouseman"

Former Employee - Warehouseman in Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Warehouseman in Milton, WA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, and people and

Cons

Low pay and cannot compare wages or talk about wages with other employees.

Advice to Management

Let people compare wages.

"Billing Analyst"

Current Employee - Billing Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great growing company. Great work life balance. Good benefit.

Cons

Below average pay and hard to move up.

Advice to Management

Be more involved.

"Here's the serious truth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke (More than a year)

Pros

There are pros to working for this company despite my long cons section. The largest benefit by far is the salary and the vacation package. They give you 136 hours of paid time off a year, 40 of which can be used as unplanned or "sick" hours. The health and dental plan are decent, the vision is great. The company culture looks good on the surface as well. They give out a lot of incentives like gift cards and treat bags for those who perform in the top 10% of their segment, do company picnics, friendly sales competitions with various prizes, etc. The thing about this is, much like a dystopian novel, all this "friendly culture" and "good management/associate relations" is a surface image that becomes something entirely different once you actually spend time here and get to know what goes on in the upper levels, which leads me to my cons section.

Cons

The fact that Harland Clarke prides itself on so-called "pillars" of trust, integrity, etc. is very ironic given how their team-level management can manipulate records and outright lie to get people fired and there is NO investigation into the matter whatsoever. I've been here for two years and the turn over rate for one specific team was INSANE. We get classes of 25 new hires and by the end of their 15 week probation period there would be about 3-5 left, if that. This, in my opinion, is because of two things: 1.) there is a rift between what trainers teach new employees and what is actually expected of them on the floor which creates unfair negative write-ups against agents. 2.) The team-level supervisors are not competent. I've seen favoritism, greed, and outright lies keep people from earned promotions or just plain fired without any investigation, even if it was brought to the attention of HR. In fact, the folks who DO go to HR suddenly disappear, especially contractors. Anything you say against the unfair supervisors can be taken as "oh you don't seem to fit into our culture here, sorry" and they're suddenly gone. That's immoral and manipulative for a company that supposedly loves their employees.

It's also important to note that the night security team here is sexist and verbally abusive. They will corner you when no one is around and confront you about something as small as forgetting to shut a locker door, point in your face, and then scream at you to go down to the other side of the building and close it again. It also seems to only happen to females. It has been brought to the attention of center management so many times but the same guards are still there.

Speaking of sexist, the dress code here is used as an excuse to promote favoritism and micro-manage those who the team supervisors don't care for. You will literally get yelled at or possibly written up if someone doesn't like you for wearing the same thing another agent down your row is wearing. If you ask if that agent got in trouble as well, they will say they can't comment. If you ask who you can file a formal complaint to about it, they will say there is no one. We already know what happens if you approach HR, so unless you want to disappear, you have to put up with the bias. Agents here have literally had dress codes made by their supervisors just for them, like a specific agent isn't allowed to wear dresses for example. It's the textbook definition of targeting.

As far as promotions, good luck. They have so many cliques here that when they post a job they basically already know who will fill it. If you DO get an interview, note that bachelor and masters degrees as well as job performance (you know, the usual qualifiers) don't matter. This is a company run by old white men so they won't promote many young people with proper credentials; instead they'll promote older folks who have been with the company awhile even if they don't know the difference between excel and word.

Advice to Management

If you're going to be a manager, actually manage. Don't just look at call statistics and say to yourself "oh we're meeting for this quarter, everything is great in paradise!" because that's not always the case. There's real people responsible for those segment sales goals meeting and they not only deserve but are ENTITLED to your protection from unfair treatment and favoritism. If that's not something you're prepared to give then you yourself should be replaced. Your workforce has an abhorrent turn-over rate and it's because of poor leadership and manipulative people in places of power that they shouldn't have attained in the first place.

"John H. Harland was the greatest company to work for"

Former Employee - Billing Supervisor in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Billing Supervisor in Decatur, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We were encouraged to live the company values. John H. Harland Company was truly a company that valued its employees and allowed me the opportunity to provide for my family for many years. Also by investing in all of us, encouraging us to volunteer and support our communities the same way that they did and providing the best in support and training. The previous CEO Tim Tuff was the best I have ever seen.

Cons

When we merged with Clarke American everything changed and the previous management was removed. The company was never the same.

Advice to Management

Live and breathe the company values in and outside the office and always be supportive of the employees by providing nothing but the best.

6. "It's a okay company"

Former Employee - Content Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Content Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is the best part for me about this company

Cons

The pay is the worst thing about this company to me

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management at this company

7. "compensation"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Bolingbrook, IL

Pros

They paid well for what we had to do.

Cons

Closed the facility and moved the business south.

"Decent company"

Current Employee - QA Technician in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - QA Technician in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive environment, constant potlucks/ celebrations, raise a lot of money for charities/ community, great pay, constant raise opportunities (twice a year)

Cons

Feel left out, can be click-ish, communication not the best, Management can have favoritism, glass ceiling, worries about small things and putting employees in a box, bends rules for certain people

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable, do not micro-manage, listen to employees concerns and not jump to conclusions, don't play favorites, keep communication constant

"IT Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Texas in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good flexibility in schedule; good work/life balance; good relationships between colleagues.

Cons

Not much in training budget; Not a great deal of career advancement or promotion opportunities; pay is not competitive to the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for training, career advancement and promotion opportunities. Provide pay increases to match the industry average

10. "Great company for educated workforce."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Converse, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Converse, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovative company always for ways to increase profits. They are always looking for companies to buy that increase there revenues. If you are willing to move around a lot, there is lots of opportunity.

Cons

Top executives don't get honest, straight forward answers. The company used to be a check printing company but has now become an holdings corporation of companies who print and develop tech. Lots of employees that have given the company many decades of hard work are now getting let go.

Advice to Management

Don't forget where you started and don't leave employees who have given their entire career to this company behind. Develop your employees so that they have true skills that will improve the business.