Harland Clarke Reviews | Glassdoor

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No Technology advancement and poor Work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management walks around like they have no clue there's a problem when we all know they know (in 9 reviews)

"If you DO NOT want respect, work for this company."

Former Employee - Anonymous - Former Manager in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous - Former Manager in New Braunfels, TX

Pros

The workplace is very secure and benefits are tops - even though the HR department is incompetent in dealing with actual human relations.

Cons

The management does not value employees for their unique contributions. They use people up and throw them away like garbage. Several people are highly-valued for being barracudas. Management mis-interprets this as being 'qualified' and allows these ethically-challenged individuals to associates who make a real controibution to the success of the company. The culture is one of "Do as I say, not as I do". They write integrity and mutal respect on the wall as "core values" but do not have the slightest clue as to how to ridiculous it looks when management does not practice these values.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the inequity of how people are treated based on who they are "friends" with. Consider why you have an astronomical turnover rate.

"Frustrating. It’s as if, you suddenly awake and you find yourself working in the 1950’s."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Boston, MA

Pros

Available capital.

Hundreds of good dedicated people...

Cons

Extremely slow moving in a quickly disappearing industry.

An executive management effort to diversify into new markets has produced very little progress, capital or value.

Combined these forces generate a very troubling outlook.

Advice to Management

Sell the corporate jet, then replace the COO.

"Typical temp-to-hire position representing a client of this company which has a project that ends too soon."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

The over one week I did work there, and my co-workers!

Cons

Wrongful termination thanks to company's corrupt practices of hiring too many people to start project, then laying off majority due to slow production. This produces an overall extremely high turnover and can ruin the company's "once great" reputation for the entire community.

Advice to Management

Put a permanent end to all of this corruption. Do not cover up the real reasons why contractors were terminated with lame excuses like "this was due to attendance/punctuality issues" when the truth really is due to slow production and company's budget cutbacks. Myself and others who suffered this practice are at no-fault of our own, therefore, we all deserve our jobs back!

"Worst Company I have ever worked for, and was there for 4.5 years"

Current Employee - Marketing Account Executive in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Account Executive in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offered decent Health Benefits through UnitedHealthcare

Cons

Everything else was below par or just shockingly dissatisfying.

Advice to Management

Do your job, respect employees, cut out the cattiness, give raises, at minimum cost of living increases, too many things come to mind to write at the moment.

"One of the most frustrating places I have worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits seem competitive, pay was competitive

Cons

* Layoffs every year for the duration of my time there
    * Incompetent coworkers with mistakes that cost the company tens of thousands of dollars still managed to survive
    * Management favorites promoted time and time again despite lack of job skill or work ethic
    * Creativity not encouraged
    * Stuck around for the paycheck as long as possible, but in the end it was soul-numbing

"no future for jobs in US"

Former Employee - Manager in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good pay, decent benefits. A few good 'seasoned' people are still there....riding it out until the company goes under or they can retire, whichever comes first.

Cons

Dying business that recently went from public to private ownership. Mgmt instructed to cut costs in order to survive. This includes moving a lot of the work to newly acquired company in India. They are in the process of selling all their real estate and moving remaining staff to leased spaces or having them work from home. hmmm. Wonder what the long term plan is???

Advice to Management

Expect an upswing in resignations after mid March, bonus or not, and major fall-out when the economy turns around. Of course, this may be exactly what RP wants....I just feel bad for the folks that DON'T leave. I mean really, what is worse, getting layed off or having to work 60-70 hr per week with no relief in sight? The stress is unbearable. It's not like there's gonna be some prize at the end.

"NOT the John Harland Company any more"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay was pretty good and location worked well for me. There were a lot of smart people and good employees at John Harland Co.

Cons

Once M&F acquired us and allowed Clarke management to take over, things started going down hill fast. They got rid of all Harland management and Harland policies and practices and slashed the bonus programs that rewarded lower/mid management and not just the executives. Now they are selling all their real estate and making employees work from home. Gee, wonder why they bought Faneuil in India, 'the provider of outsourced business processing solutions' according to their website. And as folks leave, they are not being replaced in the US, they are being replaced in India.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to stop lying to their employees but I guess that is not possible with the current business plan. I just hope that any employees that intend to 'ride it out to the end' understands that there is no big prize at the end....unless you want to relo to India.

"Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Print Producction in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Print Producction in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing except the people on the production floor for the most part are friendly and fun to work with. The only pro is leaving when I did and not 10 years later.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, crappy management, crappy maintained equipment. Production goals that are nearly impossible to hit because they run that equipment 24/7 with little down time to fully service them. I also have seen them telling employees they are on scheduled overtime when not needed. If I was Chuck Dawson I would be firing the people that run this plant the way they do. Flushing money down the toilet on overtime when not needed is bad business.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to upper management because they don't listen nor do they care. I was never so happy to turn my badge in. Your employee's are tired of the overtime and all the B.S. you put them through.

"dirtiest call center i have ever seen"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. The job itself is super easy

Cons

The building is disgusting, management is a joke, and there is way too much favortism that goes on. The company does not care about it's employees on the phone at all.

Advice to Management

Please get your head out of you asses

"Egregious, unethical management, now that Clark leaders are in charge"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The "line workers" -- especially those from the original Harland company -- and real people. They care about the customers, and are a dying breed of worker.

Cons

The company now has killed all that was good about Harland. I just learned of a quality manager who was fired after 26 years of flawless service to the company -- with no severance, no unused vacation pay, no time to collect things from his office. Literally had his computer and phone (and 26 years of history) stripped away from him, not even allowed to collect his personal items from his office, and escorted out of the building. Why? A quality breach occurred after new Clark management downsized quality staff, refused to backfill exits, refused to hire coverage for people on maternity leave, and refused to continue Six Sigma practices executed under Harland but no longer valued under Clark. When the inevitable occurred, they blamed someone who has worked tirelessly, including nights and weekends for the company. These middle America workers have gotten no pay raises or bonuses for several years while management gets bonuses based on cost cutting and blames workers for issues that arise from that cost cutting. It seems unbelievable that this behavior is legal, yet the company engages in it without repercussions. It embodies the worst of American business today.

Advice to Management

One day your actions will catch up with you. Ethics and people do matter. Although you can get away with blatantly unethical behavior for a while, eventually your FI customers will see the mounting conversation in the social sphere and decide it's not good business to do business with you.