Harland Clarke Reviews | Glassdoor

Harland Clarke Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No Technology advancement and poor Work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management walks around like they have no clue there's a problem when we all know they know (in 9 reviews)

1. "Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly good pay, nice office, that's about it.

Cons

INCREDIBLY outdated processes, people dress like slobs (management wearing flip flops & athletic shoes), dying industry, dying company. The accounting makes 0 sense and they try to use too many systems for all their holding companies so everything is out of sync. Upper management walks around like they have no clue there's a problem when we all know they know. Training was beyond awful and you're just thrown to the wolves. If you're an educated, hard working individual, stay away from this company or you WILL be miserable.

Advice to Management

Completely scrap all your ancient processes and start all over. Work towards integrating your systems better. And stop fooling employees in the interview process and acting like it's not as bad as it truly is. Stop acquiring dying outdated businesses and move your focus in a new direction. Checks, Scantron forms, and printers are a dying industry.

2. "warehouseman"

Former Employee - Warehouseman in Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Warehouseman in Milton, WA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, and people and

Cons

Low pay and cannot compare wages or talk about wages with other employees.

Advice to Management

Let people compare wages.

"Billing Analyst"

Current Employee - Billing Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great growing company. Great work life balance. Good benefit.

Cons

Below average pay and hard to move up.

Advice to Management

Be more involved.

"Great company to build a career"

Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great working enviroment. Nice people.

Cons

No review for cons. Still new to the company.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

There is a Great Culture

Cons

Lack of space at building

"Strongly positioned"

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership is constantly striving to stay ahead of the curve with radical changes in the banking industry. Significant investments in personnel and planning to continue as a market leader.

Cons

The company has been around for over 100 years, with a culture of loyalty. The workforce is aging, so new leadership will have to be cultivated.

"Here's the serious truth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke (More than a year)

Pros

There are pros to working for this company despite my long cons section. The largest benefit by far is the salary and the vacation package. They give you 136 hours of paid time off a year, 40 of which can be used as unplanned or "sick" hours. The health and dental plan are decent, the vision is great. The company culture looks good on the surface as well. They give out a lot of incentives like gift cards and treat bags for those who perform in the top 10% of their segment, do company picnics, friendly sales competitions with various prizes, etc. The thing about this is, much like a dystopian novel, all this "friendly culture" and "good management/associate relations" is a surface image that becomes something entirely different once you actually spend time here and get to know what goes on in the upper levels, which leads me to my cons section.

Cons

The fact that Harland Clarke prides itself on so-called "pillars" of trust, integrity, etc. is very ironic given how their team-level management can manipulate records and outright lie to get people fired and there is NO investigation into the matter whatsoever. I've been here for two years and the turn over rate for one specific team was INSANE. We get classes of 25 new hires and by the end of their 15 week probation period there would be about 3-5 left, if that. This, in my opinion, is because of two things: 1.) there is a rift between what trainers teach new employees and what is actually expected of them on the floor which creates unfair negative write-ups against agents. 2.) The team-level supervisors are not competent. I've seen favoritism, greed, and outright lies keep people from earned promotions or just plain fired without any investigation, even if it was brought to the attention of HR. In fact, the folks who DO go to HR suddenly disappear, especially contractors. Anything you say against the unfair supervisors can be taken as "oh you don't seem to fit into our culture here, sorry" and they're suddenly gone. That's immoral and manipulative for a company that supposedly loves their employees.

It's also important to note that the night security team here is sexist and verbally abusive. They will corner you when no one is around and confront you about something as small as forgetting to shut a locker door, point in your face, and then scream at you to go down to the other side of the building and close it again. It also seems to only happen to females. It has been brought to the attention of center management so many times but the same guards are still there.

Speaking of sexist, the dress code here is used as an excuse to promote favoritism and micro-manage those who the team supervisors don't care for. You will literally get yelled at or possibly written up if someone doesn't like you for wearing the same thing another agent down your row is wearing. If you ask if that agent got in trouble as well, they will say they can't comment. If you ask who you can file a formal complaint to about it, they will say there is no one. We already know what happens if you approach HR, so unless you want to disappear, you have to put up with the bias. Agents here have literally had dress codes made by their supervisors just for them, like a specific agent isn't allowed to wear dresses for example. It's the textbook definition of targeting.

As far as promotions, good luck. They have so many cliques here that when they post a job they basically already know who will fill it. If you DO get an interview, note that bachelor and masters degrees as well as job performance (you know, the usual qualifiers) don't matter. This is a company run by old white men so they won't promote many young people with proper credentials; instead they'll promote older folks who have been with the company awhile even if they don't know the difference between excel and word.

Advice to Management

If you're going to be a manager, actually manage. Don't just look at call statistics and say to yourself "oh we're meeting for this quarter, everything is great in paradise!" because that's not always the case. There's real people responsible for those segment sales goals meeting and they not only deserve but are ENTITLED to your protection from unfair treatment and favoritism. If that's not something you're prepared to give then you yourself should be replaced. Your workforce has an abhorrent turn-over rate and it's because of poor leadership and manipulative people in places of power that they shouldn't have attained in the first place.

"The only reason I'm giving HC a 2nd star is because of their extensive training."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at HC in Salt Lake City for almost 5 years. When I first started I thought I had the best job in the world (don't judge, I was right out of high school, I didn't know any better) because my starting wage was $11/hr and the perks were decent. If you're a top performer, you have the OPPORTUNITY to win stuff like gift cards, prizes, etc on a monthly basis. That had dwindled pretty significantly by the time I finally left.
    Like my review title says, they put a lot of time/money/effort into making their customer service employees the best in the business. The training I received from this company made me a hot commodity when I started looking for a new job. Because of all the skills I learned and perfected here at HC, I ended up getting offers from every company I applied to after I threw in the towel here. If you want to learn skills that make you an amazing customer service rep and look great on your resume, this is the place for you. Its not a bad starting point for someone that's never been in customer service before.
    The 401k is decentish,
    Benefits are alright.

Cons

1. Pay
    They are in NO WAY compareable salary wise. Starting pay is $11/hr. There are 5 different call centers within a 5 minute radius that all have a higher starting wage, by more than $1.

You do get an increase every 6 months, but its almost an insult, even if you're a top performer. My best raise out of the five years I worked at HC was 26 cents, and that was with a near perfect review score, being top 3% in the first quarter of that review period. My manager when I left and gave my exit interview told me that they are only allowed to give a 1% increase each year, so split that in half, and then create a ranging scale on who gets what based off performance. I started at $11/hr. I ended at $13.26.

Pay is why I left. I couldn't afford to bust my butt for this company any longer, and get paid poop for it. I split being an interim supervisor between myself and another employee for 2 weeks before management opened up the replacement position. I went to HR to get a general idea of what I could expect salary wise if I applied and got the offer. Its NEVER a good sign when HR gives you a deposition before answering a simple question - most people don't become a supervisor because of the money, they do it for the experience. Translation? The increase would be minimal, and it turned out to be $4000 UNDER the minimum salary for a supervisor position.

3. Promotions
    Promotions to a level 2 specialist were based off of 6 months or more of exceptional stats. The problem is that when you do as many burst projects as I did your stats start over every single time. Or, if you're unfortunate like I was, your temporary supervisor doesn't bother to monitor your accomplishments or send them on back to your normal supervisor. Over the course of 5 years I changed supervisors more than 13 times. That's almost three times a year. That made it almost impossible to ever get my promotion to L2. By the time I finally got it, I was already done and looking for a new job. Too little, too late.

2. Temp services for recruiting
    The turnover rate was astronomical, not because of the training, but because of the people being hired and the meager start wage. New hire classes would start with roughly 20. On average, only 2-5 would make it out of training.

Advice to Management

Stop using 4+ temp agencies to recruit new employees.
    Start paying employees what they are worth!!! Its pointless to spend so much time money and resources to create perfect customer service agents, then losing them to other companies just because you can't bother to at least try and be competitive salary wise with the other call centers in the same area. The company I work for now is right up the street, and I started out at $1 more an hr than the wage I left HC with after 5 years. My first promotion/raise was 3 months after starting and bumped me up an additional 70 cents an hr.

10. "Real Vision and Live by Core Values Statement"

Current Employee - Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

140+ years of dedication to serving clients. It's real and not just a motto on a poster in the employee break room. Constantly improving products and launching new offerings for clients. Flexible work environment, great facilities, competitive compensation. Lots of tenure of employees (that says something). Overall great place.

Cons

Company could do more to tell its great story.

"John H. Harland was the greatest company to work for"

Former Employee - Billing Supervisor in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Billing Supervisor in Decatur, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We were encouraged to live the company values. John H. Harland Company was truly a company that valued its employees and allowed me the opportunity to provide for my family for many years. Also by investing in all of us, encouraging us to volunteer and support our communities the same way that they did and providing the best in support and training. The previous CEO Tim Tuff was the best I have ever seen.

Cons

When we merged with Clarke American everything changed and the previous management was removed. The company was never the same.

Advice to Management

Live and breathe the company values in and outside the office and always be supportive of the employees by providing nothing but the best.