Harmon Law Offices Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Mark Harmon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay check that cleared, free coffee that's about it overall there is nothing good about this firm (in 6 reviews)

• Free parking, 3 weeks paid time off per year, inexpensive health insurance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, poor workplace atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay for the sweatshop being ran, frequent turnover, little room for growth (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I worked at Harmon Law Offices part-time

Pros

High energy, lots of fun, great location

Cons

Not much room for growth

"Not recommended"

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time

Pros

The overall staff is made up of some great people.

Cons

Nearly eveything else. I have worked at Harmon for a couple of years now and am amazed at how little the president and directors care for their employees. Pay is low and benefits are awful if available at all. They dont contribute a penny to the 401k or health plans for instance. The policies for staff are draconian and I've heard that upper managment is inflexible even when long time employees are in need of minor adjustments. They are far more willing to let people go then ever "cave" to a simple staff member. I've witnessed and overheard the struggles of my group's manager, whom I like, and I am baffled by how the directors have gotten away with treating their people as worthless cogs. Friends in other departments have shared similar takes so this approach is definitely a company wide feeling. I've only stayed here for as long as I have because my direct manager is great. I wish I could be more specific but I know HR reads all of these posts. In any case I'm planning on jumping ship soon if I'm not caught in the bi-annual round of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Most "managers" appear to be doing the best they can with what they have. Change needs to start at the top. The directors and Harmons need to stop looking at their paychecks and start looking in the mirror. Although I have not had the pleasure if dealing with most of these individuals directly, if even half the stories I've heard are true then I dont know how they sleep at night.

3. "Attorney"

Former Employee - Attorney in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Newton, MA

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going, quiet environment with coworkers and supervisors who are engaged and looking to help, great training

Cons

Low compensation, high volume, not very much variation in the work.

4. "Legal assistant"

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time

Pros

Best for entry-level to gain experience

Cons

Low salary, lots of overtime, sometimes not paid

Advice to Management

None

"WORST PLACE EVER"

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time

Pros

There are none and don't be fooled by the fake positive reviews added by the HR Dept.

Cons

Too numerous to mention. DON'T WORK HERE

Advice to Management

GO TO JAIL

"Harmon"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Newton, MA

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Available entry level attorney job available in a challenging economy. I was fortunate to have a great Attorney Manager who truly cared about her employees and their success and well being. She was the reason I stayed for as long as I did. Unfortunately, this is not the case for many.

Cons

Workers feel extremely expendable, it is clear upper management would rather lost good quality employees and replace with entry level salaries. Gossipy. High turnover takes away from team morale and continuity.

Advice to Management

Find a way to hold on to hardworking employees who actually care!

7. "Good first job"

Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot and gained a lot of office skills here. There is great team camaraderie in light of the nature of the business. There are some opportunities to grow, depending on timing. The hours were good and most managers were understanding of any life situations. The team could help each other with workload when needed.

Cons

Managers might not let you move laterally if you're a good cog in the machine. After about a year or so, you've learned as much as you can in your department. It's hard to stay motivated unless you're fortunate enough to have a manager who lets you tackle unique cases.

Advice to Management

Allow and offer professional development opportunities for legal assistants and paralegals.

"One star only because zero is not an option"

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time

Pros

There is a parking lot, the office building is near Russo's and a liquor store. In terms of the position itself, there is literally nothing good about this place.

Cons

There are so many awful things about this place. First, there is almost no training, but that does not stop the incompetent managers from reaming you out. These are managers who are not fit to manage because they neither have the competency nor the maturity. They are hypocritical and petty and do not value your time, work, or health. They will strictly adhere to stupid rules like no usage of cell phones for whatever reason (I was reprimanded for trying to schedule a doctor's appointment), but at the same time, they will have extensive personal conversations about their baby showers. Expect to be treated like a child, mico-managed, and disposable.

The turnover rate is extremely high both because employees quit and because they constantly lay people off, therefore it is not even an awful job with job security. I was one of the employees laid off and this place is so awful that when I found out, I was relieved and actually happy that I no longer worked there.

Advice to Management

Just close up shop.

"Do yourself a favor and don't work here"

Pros

Nothing. There is nothing good about this place.

Cons

Where do I start? Let's see... They make it seem like this is SUCH good experience, such a great place to work...but they're lying. You're hired because the turn-over rate is so bad that they hire anyone and everyone. At least one employee every week gives their two weeks.

The gossip and behavior here is disgusting. It's worse than high school. You're better off not talking to anyone because whatever you say or do, it'll get spun into this rumor and go from there. People are incredibly stuck up (especially the attorneys that graduated from the lowest of the low law school and think they're big shots) and rude, and it makes the atmosphere incredibly gloomy and miserable.

The pay is AWFUL. Oh man, don't even give it another thought. The amount of work and time you do, you should be getting paid 10 times more than you do. They literally run a sweat shop there. Also, unless you're friends or favorited by management, you won't advance at all. There is absolutely no room for growth.

Andrew and Mark Harmon are incredibly selfish and it's hard to even talk to them like human beings, because they look down on everyone. They refuse to give people promotions unless forced to, because they would rather go on 10 + vacations for weeks on end.

Advice to Management

No advice because they won't ever take it. I'm not sure how this place still exists. I was told once to not listen or consider the "bad" reviews on here about this place...turns out they were trying so hard to prove that it wasn't like the reviews. They failed, and EVERYONE PLEASE KEEP THESE REVIEWS IN MIND. THEY ARE ALL TRUE.

"Worst place ever"

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is absolutely nothing good about working at this company. I am finding it hard to fill the 20 word minimum for this section so this is just filler.

Cons

The cons? Where do I start? The people are miserable and useless, the structure of the company is horrible, they will literally hire anyone which makes it super high quality...not. I do not know how this company is still in business but I feel bad for everyone that works there, there are such better places to work.

Advice to Management

Read these comments, overhaul your company, treat people like people and not like dollar signs.