Harmonia Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Pallabi Saboo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no cons to work with like this company (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management kept trying to wave a magic wand to achieve nearly impossible tasks (in 3 reviews)

"Solid company, great growth, emerging gem"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Stafford, VA

I worked at Harmonia (More than a year)

Pros

Do your work, do it well, and you will be rewarded. No micro-management, you are brought on board to do a job and are expected to perform. Competitive salary and bonuses, great medical and dental, and the 401k match is top-notch. Outstanding team environment, great culture and diversity. High focus on maintaining and retaining proficiency, skills and education. Incredible support staff and a broad range of highly technical experts working in new and challenging technologies. Fun social events for every family member.

Cons

Our team and office was not physically located with the Company headquarters because we needed to be close to the client and stakeholders. I know it's very challenging, but it would be good for executives to interact with the team and client every so often just to express interest in the hard work being performed.

Advice to Management

I would suggest creating an annual or semi-annual event during which managers and executives interact with each other, provide/discuss strategies, share lessons learned, and express goals and objectives.

"Applications Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at Harmonia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full benefits, matching up to 6%, multiple contracts

Cons

disrespectful to less experienced. Not willing to give desired wage when younger despite having masters.

May 6, 2017 – COO

Hi thanks for your feedback. Sorry if you felt disrespected simply because of your age, that is certainly not our culture as evidenced by a very good mix of ages among the team. In fact, having... More

"Not waterfall. Not agile. Definitely stressful."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

The people (not management) are great - they are welcoming and genuine nice to be around.

Cons

Some teams are following agile and waterfall at the same time. They aren't transitioning to one or the other, just trying to do both. This forces those who aren't developers to wear multiple hats and have responsibilities with conflicting interests (i.e. 1 person being the scrum master and the product owner) or simply have too much work (being a PM and a Scrum Master and a part time PO).

Advice to Management

1) Pick a methodology and stick to it. Don't bounce around because your devs want agile but your contract is waterfall.
    2) If you're going Agile respect it. Understand and use the roles and ceremonies correctly.
    3) Get a contract team instead of pulling key resources off projects for days/weeks at a time.

Apr 28, 2017 – COO

Hi - thank you for your feedback and for your kind words about the management team. We do hear you about the Agile vs. Waterfall, although the issue is largely not of our making. The government... More

"No words"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mc Lean, VA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mc Lean, VA

I worked at Harmonia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are just a starter

Cons

Have no idea how to run Agile and professional environment

Advice to Management

No words

May 15, 2017 – COO

Thank you. I think its clear who you are and your review is clearly less than objective. You did good work but your productivity was a question mark and more importantly your inability to... More

"A small contractor company"

Pros

Nice location. Pay money on time if with contract.

Cons

Most coworkers are Indian workers. The culture fit is very important

"One of the best places to work and grow"

Current Employee - QA Analyst
    Current Employee - QA Analyst

I have been working at Harmonia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible and the team is one big happy family.

Cons

Less concentration on employee's performance, growth and salary. Should hire professional people for managerial positions.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have interaction with the team at headquarters.

"Working on stimulating projects with great individuals!!!!"

Current Employee - Automation Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Automation Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Harmonia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working with Harmonia at their Alexandria, VA office for some time now and felt it has been worthwhile to work in such an environment. The company has good career growth potential. The company has a talented group of people. They are willing to help others even at times when they are busy. The deadlines imposed by the clients can be imposing at times, but collectively, we persevere and exceed expectations.

Our project manager is one of the best I have worked with. She has great communication skills and respects people's opinions. She has has a vision of where things are going and the ability to articulate it.

Cons

None at the current time

"Harmonia:-An individual committment,a group effort and a symbol of success in a friendly environment."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

Pros

I am a New Yorker. For the last 2 years I have been working for Harmonia Alexandria Campus VA.The reason for the last 2 years I never tried to pursue a Job in New York or any other place because Harmonia is a unique place to work, team members are very friendly, Project manager is a real leader. I believe that working with good people matters because then the work environment is good. If there is a sense of respect and belief among the people you work with, that is when a good work is done. I also believe Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work and helps to build a unique Team and in that sense Harmonia holds a strong team with excellent leadership Under Lim Ayra, Project Manager. I believe when your action inspires someone else to inspire more ,dream more, learn more and do more then you are a leader and Lim Ayra is a great leader in representing the company to client, in guiding employees to the right direction, being friendly with employees and always being our friend and mentor. It is always my privilege and honor to be a part of Harmonia. All thanks goes to my company and it’s leaders like Miss Pallabi CEO , Lim Ayra,PMP, Bipin Test Lead. I love to work for Harmonia and it’s leadership and will continue to devote my whole effort in Harmonia’s rapid growth with success.

Cons

Not a single word to share about the company

"Having a fun and challenging time"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Team Lead in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Team Lead in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Harmonia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with this company for quite some time at the Alexandria office and am truly enjoying my time here. The atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed but mix with seriousness where work is concern. Everyone is always so helpful to me when I need. My PM is one of the best that I have worked with in my long career from small to large corporations and private to government. Ayra has great people skills and treat everyone with fairness and compassion. She holds herself with dignity stemming from a high sense of integrity.
         The work at UPSTO is high paced and challenging, keeps me on my toes and allows me to expand my skill sets. Many interesting projects going on in USPTO and most or all of the projects are comprised of personnel from the three vendors here, but our office always seem to have someone that USPTO manager choose as the project lead. That give you an idea of the caliber of the people we have. All the Project leads are so dedicated and yet accessible and have helped me whenever I needed even though I am working on another project. Their skill sets are very high not like some of the other posts on here which I have seen where the person claimed to be a project lead yet could not even write with correct grammar or any semblance of cohesive thought process.
         The company itself is growing fast. The usual health, vision, dental, 401k benefits are available and are fair. I have had chances to interact with upper management and CEO and they are nice people.

Cons

No cons to speak of so far

Advice to Management

Solidify a contract proposal/acquisition team and go get more contracts. Also have an HR team that actually does the interviewing and hiring process.

"USDA Contract: Co-workers great; Management and client awful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Harmonia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers there were some of the nicest and most competent people I've worked with. Really enjoyed working with them. For a contract company, Harmonia pays reasonably well and has good benefits. Telework was offered by USDA, which was good.

Cons

USDA working environment: in a word, miserable. Two people to a single-person cube, and most of the government people are not only incompetent, but arrogant. Unfortunately, Harmonia's management is just barely better, and will not hesitate to throw you under the bus at the first government complaint. I've never, ever had a job in which my skills were more underutilized than at this place. After I was hired, it's like my prior skill-set was ignored. Micromanagement galore by on-site Harmonia management.

Harmonia management: incompetent and cowardly. I have worked government contracts before, and, while obviously it's always good to try to keep the client happy, it doesn't mean you have to screw over your employees to do that. It's very apparent that this is Harmonia's only big contract, as they will do anything to keep them happy, which means too bad for their employees if there is ever a problem or complaint, regardless if the government's incompetence and laziness is the true culprit.

Harmonia upper-management: thin-skinned and arrogant. It's pretty apparent that all of us on the contract are there for Harmonia's earning a buck, first and foremost. They do a very poor job hiding that. You feel very expendable at this place. Any complaint about the company is generally replied to with a grumpy or angry answer, so most don't even say anything any more.

Bottom line: it's a paycheck and a place to work. If you have no expectations over that, you'll be OK. If you want management to support you and look out for you, this place isn't for you.

Advice to Management

At least make an effort at treating employees like they matter. Don't just automatically jump to throw your employees to the wolves at every government complaint. Doughnuts and team lunches don't cover up the true message you project: that your employees are there so you can make a lot of money, and they are expendable should your profits ever become an issue.

Jul 1, 2016 – COO

Harmonia and our entire team exists first and foremost to deliver solid IT solutions to our clients, which we do - evidenced by multiple awards and repeat contracts. We do this so that, as most... More