Harmony Tree Learning Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Harmony Tree Learning Center Reviews

4.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A+ experience! Could help decide if the education field is right for you"

Former Employee - Teacher in Monterey Park, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Monterey Park, CA

I worked at Harmony Tree Learning Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While I was working on my undergrad I decided to switch to the education field and I started working here to get some experience. I got to work on my classroom management skills and got lots of experience teaching in a classroom environment. This was also a good way to decide whether you actually like teaching. The kids here are much easier to handle compared to the public schools so it'll give you a chance to build your confidence handling a classroom.

Great way to practice lesson planning. It won't be as intense as the lesson planning I learned in the teaching credential program but the management will teach that if you don't know how.

My co-workers were really friendly. And even though I don't work there anymore, I'm still really good friends with a lot of the people I met there.

Management really cares about people and the kids. They listened to feedback and the atmosphere was warm and familial. We went to dinner together a lot and also even went on some bonding trips to Vegas and on a cruise. It really brought the entire staff together. At the same time, I did stay after work and made the effort to get to know people. If you leave promptly at 6, then there isn't much opportunity to chat with others.

Cons

If unlucky, could get a student that's hard to handle but that'll test how great your management skills are. You have to pickup students for after school but not during summer camp. No big deal since the kids enjoy getting to know you some times. But you do get reimbursed for gas.

Advice to Management

Have more feedback for employees to let them know what they're doing right or wrong.

"Good experience"

Pros

they were able to schedule me around my school hours
    was accommodating when wasn't able to work certain days
    everyone was pretty friendly and easy to get along with
    snacks were provided everyday and lunch was provided on thursday
    most of the kids were pretty well behaved and was fun to work with
    some of the teachers knew which kids were difficult to work with so they would only ask you to help the kids who were well behaved while they took care of the difficult kids
    kids were allowed to play video games on fridays so if you were assigned to watch that area you were sorta paid to play games with kids

Cons

there were a few kids who were hard to deal with and some teachers would always send them out of the classroom so the TAs would have to deal with them
    not much time to get to know other staff members except on thursday when the kids have their lunch time
    didn't really know what was allowed or not allowed, sometimes kids would be running around and no one really did anything while other times certain staff members would not allow it sometimes kids would be laying on floor or crawling around on the floor and certain staff would tell them to get up while other staff members allowed it.
    not much feedback, never knew if there was anything i could have improved on or if i was doing anything wrong

Advice to Management

They should have something where it list what is allowed and what is not to the staff. Many of the newer staff would often not know what was allowed or not so they would just stand and watch. They learn after they watch the older staff.

"Great learning experience for teachers"

Pros

Great hands experience working with students in a classroom environment. Answer keys are provided for some of the homework assignments, so it makes correcting homework a lot faster and easier. TAs are also there to help with homework corrections so the teacher can focus more of their time on helping students and managing the class. The director has helpful tips on classroom management and encouraging students to do their work. The environment is created so that you have time bond with the kids and grow to truly care about them. Also, they reimburse for gas when picking students up from schools.

Cons

Sometimes correcting supplemental packets the center gives can feel a little mundane and when there are a lot of packets to grade, a little overwhelming. Perhaps have more frequent employee reviews to let us know what we are doing correctly and what we can improve on.

Advice to Management

Maybe have more meetings for teachers and TAs to share their ideas.

"Overall, great experience"

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Harmony Tree Learning Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-they have snacks and lunches provided for free
    -the manager/front desk staff is very friendly, and accommodating about scheduling
    -it is a wonderful way to get experience if you want to work with children, prepare lesson plans and classroom management
    -they provide access to all the materials you need including textbooks, teacher's editions and supplies
    -there are teacher's aides to assist with corrections and working students so it doesn't get overwhelming
    -front desk staff/management steps in to handle difficult situations so you can focus on the task at hand
    -managment implements new methods to troubleshoot current flaws in the system
    -management cares about the staff and will listen to feedback
    -the kids are overall a really good group and fun to be around

Cons

-the schedule sometimes fluctuates and you might not get consistent working hours
    -there isn't too much time to mingle or socialize with co-workers throughout the day; it'd be nice to have more mixers so you can get to know the people you're working with more
    -sometimes assigned TAs don't come to assist when they are scheduled to (the TAs are shared and they can end up helping another class more)
    -parking can be limited if you're schedule to work later
    -there are a few teachers that were very negative about the management team/front desk staff which can often create an uncomfortable vibe if you are a teacher that wants to remain neutral (I stayed away from them; their issues seemed more personal as opposed to professional)
    -you will be assigned to assist with transporting children on the way into work (must plan ahead of you need boosters)

Advice to Management

Don't be hesitant to assign duties that need to be done and communicate more with your staff on a regular basis. Address issues with negative staff members and let them go if necessary to keep the team cohesive which would make for a better environment for the kids and other staff members.

"Overall experience"

Former Employee - Instructor in Monterey Park, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Monterey Park, CA

I worked at Harmony Tree Learning Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great starting experience for someone who is looking towards a career in teaching grade school level education. Well organized and managed staff. Always Prompt on notifying staff regarding changes. The work environment is very friendly and relaxing.

Cons

You are required to pick up students from the school, but if you don't mind then disregard this as a con.

"Great students and experience, but not the environment"

Pros

Working with the students has always been priority for the staff. They make sure to choose future teachers or those interested in teaching to be their teachers or teachers aides.The materials used to check homework are mostly accurate (teachers editions that match what students use) and the use of checklists for assignments is useful.

Cons

Management needs to improve in many aspects. There is always a lack of communication between teachers and management. If there is an issue that arises in the workplace regarding student academics, rules would be changed with little to no warning and usually the staff has to adjust to it on the spot. Management seems to have their own group or clique and they make others feel like they are in the shadows about information that they keep from certain staff members. Having to pick up students that attend Harmony Tree is more of a hassle especially if the students require the use of a booster seat, which you have to pick up from the facility. The staff does not train new employees. Since there is no training, mistakes can be made and the staff member who makes those mistakes will be the one to blame, even though they do not know the procedures and rules of the facility. The facility is not the cleanest, although they try their best to keep it as clean as possible.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your staff and treat them like you do others in your "clique". Be truthful with all of your staff, even though it may not be the most positive information that will be shared. If you say you will do something, follow through or tell staff that it won't take place/happen. Have meetings more often so that the staff knows what is going on. Train the staff better so that they know how to go about their job with ease. I think the best way to train staff is to have them sit in with someone who has their position for a few days or have all new staff start as TA and work their way up to teacher.