Harnham Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

London, England (UK)

4.6
Simon Clarke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best Employers in Recruitment - by far"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

I joined Harnham straight out of Uni with no previous recruitment experience. In my first year i hit the target to go to New York for 5 days all expenses paid. In my second year i was taken on holiday to Miami, and in my 3rd year i hit the target to be taken to Cancun - The targets ARE achievable if you're willing to put in the work.
    All the framework is there for you to make as much money as you want to, i never believed i'd be able to get paid what i was.
    There is a massive investment in external trainers who have an unbelievable effect on your work and ability, a lot of friends went down the recruitment route out of uni like me and non of them had either the opportunities or the support i had at Harnham.

Cons

The only cons of working at Harnham are the cons any recruitment/sales job has.
    If you work hard there will be long days & nights and ups & downs like any job.
    I was encouraged to balance the late nights with 'on-time' finishes a few times a week to make sure i didn't burn out.

Advice to Management

I can't really think of anything that stands out to change. The business is growing rapidly but maintaining its reputation in the marketplace and the focus on training staff.
    From speaking with recruiters at other companies, Harnhams work environment & atmosphere is one of the best.

"Fun, transparent and fair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would recommend Harnham to anyone who is looking for a job in recruitment. The management and co-workers are professional, fun, social and despite working hard, always up for a laugh. Targets are realistic, the commission is great, but what really stood out for me is the enjoyable atmosphere. It can be a tough job with long hours, so having people around you like the ones at Harnham, is a huge plus and motivator.

Cons

You will get the same cons at Harnham as you would anywhere else in sales (long hours, targets etc). Recruitment is recruitment.

Advice to Management

Keep on selecting your employees as you are now to keep up the atmosphere and continue to support your team the way you are now.

"No complaints here!"

I have been working at Harnham full-time

Pros

I joined Harnham straight from university, without any sales experience. I knew from my trial day that this was the company I could really see myself working in for a long time and I haven't looked back since. The company is really transparent regarding growth, pay, structure and what they expect from you, so I know exactly where my career is going and what I need to do to get to the next level. Personal development is really an area I wanted to work on, so I personally don't mind playing back calls, managers shadowing and learning from my mistakes. It's just a stepping stone to get to the management position I want.

The culture at Harnham is really what sets it apart from the competition. It is very team orientated and everyone helps each other out. I knew the hours would be long so finding a company with a strong emphasis on culture was vital for me. Of all the companies I interviewed with, Harnham was by far the friendliest. Lastly commuting to Wimbledon is fine! Trains leave every couple of minutes from Waterloo & it's a 15 minutes journey going against the traffic - ideal!!

Cons

The hours can be long, however I really value being able to leave at 5.30pm two nights a week, it really breaks up the week. Recruitment is challenging and there are a great bunch of recruiters here so expect to be challenged...but highly rewarded!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing & make sure the companies culture doesn't dilute with the growth plans!

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experiences at Harnham. We're really glad you're enjoying it. Please let us know if you have any more feedback (good or bad), we're especially keen... More

"Don't fall into the same trap I did!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average social side, lots of young and like minded individuals, regular socials, a definiteive drinking culture, free fruit, one very clean male toilet for the whole office.

Cons

The management team are unrealistic.
    12 hour days, ridiculous "targets", key accounts are handed to the boys club, the company is ran by a team of favourites, if you don't identify with them, you'll not progress. The office is in zone 3, don't believe the lies on the website about it being close to London "the place for all the best graduate jobs etc." , Wimbledon is a leafy suburb, and this is not a job worthy of a graduate. You'll be shown through "training", where they will essentially "teach" you how to cold call 500 (give or take) people per week. A well trained space monkey could manage this. Don't believe the lies about data and analytics, harnham, the ludicrous salary expectations, many people you call have never heard of Harnham. As if it's not bad enough hearing your own voice recorded, managers will play back your calls and laugh at you, make out that you are stupid for not knowing the ins and outs of analytics, if you did, then you'd be a data scientist, not an irritating cold caller. Coercing people to take
    a job through a barrage of emails and phone calls is not a way to make a living. Make sure you know what recruitment is before you fall into this trap. You'll be earning 20k and desperately looking for a way out. But hey, at least you're in London!

Advice to Management

Remove the propaganda from the website. Treat all your staff as equals. Stop the exaggerated lies.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Many thanks for leaving a review and firstly, apologies that things didn’t work out for you at Harnham. We’ve always put a high emphasis on training & are really proud that a lot of the leaders of... More

"Fun work environment, well rewarded"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good senior team, great rewards for effort and achievement, achievable promotions and fun environment - lots of young professionals. Also a buoyant market for a business with strong growth plans. You have to work hard but if you are persistent and don't mind putting the time in it is a great place to be.

Cons

Had a tendency to get frustrating when things weren't going well, but that is maybe the nature of being in recruitment. Also I felt there was a slight over importance put on call stats and KPIs but this may have changed since my time there.

Advice to Management

Carry on the good work.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Many thanks for your honest review regarding your experiences at Harnham. We're sorry that things didn't work out for you here but we're really glad you enjoyed your time with us. Best of luck for... More

"Culture is shocking"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really - kpi driven environment and a culture of elitism and exclusion. Office isn't great and hard to get to from Waterloo.

Cons

Desk based role where your calls are monitored and played back to the team if you mess up. Hard to make target as key accounts are all allocated to managers favourites.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more open to suggestions - free fruit isn't a replacement for career progression.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Many thanks for your review. Having just had our annual Launch Day in London, every single team chose culture as the one thing they wouldn’t change at Harnham so I’m sorry that as a business we... More

"The best recruitment role you could find"

I have been working at Harnham full-time

Pros

The great thing about Harnham is that whilst everyone is competitive and wants to be top of the charts, it is still a supportive and team focused environment.
    If you don't want to win competitions and be the best, then it isn't the place for you, but equally if you want to screw over other people to achieve success for yourself then this definitely isn't the place for you.

The incentives on offer for achievement are good - not just the commission scheme, but the trips to New York and Miami and opportunities to eat in some of London's best restaurants.

Cons

The cons are the same as any recruitment job. If you want to be successful and earn lots of money you need to work hard and work long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture as it is as the company grows, as well as keeping the opportunity to work closely with Simon and the leadership team.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Thanks so much for your review! We hope you're still enjoying the environment at Harnham, please keep passing on your feedback & letting us know what we can do to improve. We're really keen to keep... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

I have only been working at Harnham for 8 months, but as soon as I joined I realised it was the company for me. From the extensive high quality training to the culture within the office, of course it is target driven but it is also great fun because of the emphasis on teamwork as well as individual performance. The socials are always great fun and whilst you work long hours, you are always encouraged to leave on time twice a week!

Cons

I guess it is the generic con to recruitment in that it does involve long hours, however you are rewarded for this in bringing home the monies.

"Such a good place to work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

I’ve only been working at Harnham a few months but as soon as I joined you could really see that the culture here is great! Harnham really value individual success but there is also a lot of emphasise on team work which really made Harnham really stand out to me. The team is full of exceptionally high preforming individuals/teams and as soon as I started I could tell that Harnham really value each of its employees (this is illustrated in the high retention!). There is also an impressive training programme from as soon as you start & the management team are there to help you along the way! Finally not forgetting the company has a really great social aspect to it!

Cons

You need to be very resilient as there is a lot of rejection!

Advice to Management

Keep doing things the way you are!

"Harnham is the place to be!"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harnham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Harnham from another agency. It was a great move for me as the working atmosphere was both fun and professional. I was given ample support to take on a new area and as I proved myself my role grew and developed just the way I wanted it.

Cons

Its hard work at Harnham! We are the industry leader for a reason but those interested in joining need to know that you get out what you put in.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture and ambition the way it is.

Aug 13, 2015 – Head of Talent Management

Many thanks for your review! Please keep us informed if you think we can do any more to support you as you progress up the career ladder at Harnham.