Harnham Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Simon Clarke

"Great business to work for!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Wimbledon, ND
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Wimbledon, ND

Pros

I worked for Harnham for nearly a year. In that time I made some great friends, learnt a lot about recruitment and it was a great place to work. It is a work hard/play hard environment with everyone getting involved. The office has a fantastic morale and expect numerous social events. Harnham offer a great training programme when you join, you are guided every step of the way and if needed extra training is on offer. It isn't your typical recruitment environment, everyone likes to help each other, everyone is down to earth and KPI's are achievable. The final thing to note the incentives (holidays, nights out, bar tabs, lunch clubs) and rewards are fantastic it is a great feeling you are being paid good commission for all your hard work!

Cons

Be prepared to work long hours - you are in control of how much you bill each month - The harder you work the luckier you get

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Best Employers in Recruitment - by far"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

I joined Harnham straight out of Uni with no previous recruitment experience. In my first year i hit the target to go to New York for 5 days all expenses paid. In my second year i was taken on holiday to Miami, and in my 3rd year i hit the target to be taken to Cancun - The targets ARE achievable if you're willing to put in the work.
    All the framework is there for you to make as much money as you want to, i never believed i'd be able to get paid what i was.
    There is a massive investment in external trainers who have an unbelievable effect on your work and ability, a lot of friends went down the recruitment route out of uni like me and non of them had either the opportunities or the support i had at Harnham.

Cons

The only cons of working at Harnham are the cons any recruitment/sales job has.
    If you work hard there will be long days & nights and ups & downs like any job.
    I was encouraged to balance the late nights with 'on-time' finishes a few times a week to make sure i didn't burn out.

Advice to Management

I can't really think of anything that stands out to change. The business is growing rapidly but maintaining its reputation in the marketplace and the focus on training staff.
    From speaking with recruiters at other companies, Harnhams work environment & atmosphere is one of the best.

"Fun, transparent and fair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would recommend Harnham to anyone who is looking for a job in recruitment. The management and co-workers are professional, fun, social and despite working hard, always up for a laugh. Targets are realistic, the commission is great, but what really stood out for me is the enjoyable atmosphere. It can be a tough job with long hours, so having people around you like the ones at Harnham, is a huge plus and motivator.

Cons

You will get the same cons at Harnham as you would anywhere else in sales (long hours, targets etc). Recruitment is recruitment.

Advice to Management

Keep on selecting your employees as you are now to keep up the atmosphere and continue to support your team the way you are now.

"Wouldn't do recruitment anywhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wimbledon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I have been working at Harnham full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for Harnham for several years, after previously having worked in other recruitment agencies. In my opinion, Harnham is unique. Yes, it's a sales company and there are targets to work towards and that are expected of you, but it's a far less aggressive sales culture than others I've been in. There is a genuine team culture where people want to help each other out and a commitment to quality with clients and candidates, which I think is rare. The company is growing and always looking for more opportunities to improve, so it's been great for my career development. Overall, it's head and shoulders above other recruitment agencies I've worked in, or heard about, and I certainly wouldn't consider doing recruitment anywhere other than Harnham

Cons

Not directly related to Harnham at all; more about recruitment in general. It's a tough job with a lot of ups and downs, so my not be a career for everyone. It is a sales job and I think sometimes people forget that

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent with staff - it helps us feel part of the business and it's great understanding what's happening in the business and the plans for the future

"No complaints here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harnham full-time

Pros

I joined Harnham straight from university, without any sales experience. I knew from my trial day that this was the company I could really see myself working in for a long time and I haven't looked back since. The company is really transparent regarding growth, pay, structure and what they expect from you, so I know exactly where my career is going and what I need to do to get to the next level. Personal development is really an area I wanted to work on, so I personally don't mind playing back calls, managers shadowing and learning from my mistakes. It's just a stepping stone to get to the management position I want.

The culture at Harnham is really what sets it apart from the competition. It is very team orientated and everyone helps each other out. I knew the hours would be long so finding a company with a strong emphasis on culture was vital for me. Of all the companies I interviewed with, Harnham was by far the friendliest. Lastly commuting to Wimbledon is fine! Trains leave every couple of minutes from Waterloo & it's a 15 minutes journey going against the traffic - ideal!!

Cons

The hours can be long, however I really value being able to leave at 5.30pm two nights a week, it really breaks up the week. Recruitment is challenging and there are a great bunch of recruiters here so expect to be challenged...but highly rewarded!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing & make sure the companies culture doesn't dilute with the growth plans!

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experiences at Harnham. We're really glad you're enjoying it. Please let us know if you have any more feedback (good or bad), we're especially keen ... More

"Recruitment is a sales job!"

I worked at Harnham full-time

Pros

Great for earning potential if you are good at it!! Really nice environment, lots of nice perople and nice perks. Not a call centre recruitment firm, more friendly than most my mates ended up in.

Cons

It's a sales job. It can be horrible if you are no good at it. I wasn't great to be honest, but still enjoyed the experience all the same. Lots of fun if you are a good sales person, you will probably hate it if you are not!

Advice to Management

Make sure you are realistic with what the job entails, which I think you probably are. Good luck with all the plans you have.

"Don't fall into the same trap I did!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average social side, lots of young and like minded individuals, regular socials, a definiteive drinking culture, free fruit, one very clean male toilet for the whole office.

Cons

The management team are unrealistic.
    12 hour days, ridiculous "targets", key accounts are handed to the boys club, the company is ran by a team of favourites, if you don't identify with them, you'll not progress. The office is in zone 3, don't believe the lies on the website about it being close to London "the place for all the best graduate jobs etc." , Wimbledon is a leafy suburb, and this is not a job worthy of a graduate. You'll be shown through "training", where they will essentially "teach" you how to cold call 500 (give or take) people per week. A well trained space monkey could manage this. Don't believe the lies about data and analytics, harnham, the ludicrous salary expectations, many people you call have never heard of Harnham. As if it's not bad enough hearing your own voice recorded, managers will play back your calls and laugh at you, make out that you are stupid for not knowing the ins and outs of analytics, if you did, then you'd be a data scientist, not an irritating cold caller. Coercing people to take
    a job through a barrage of emails and phone calls is not a way to make a living. Make sure you know what recruitment is before you fall into this trap. You'll be earning 20k and desperately looking for a way out. But hey, at least you're in London!

Advice to Management

Remove the propaganda from the website. Treat all your staff as equals. Stop the exaggerated lies.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Many thanks for leaving a review and firstly, apologies that things didn’t work out for you at Harnham. We’ve always put a high emphasis on training & are really proud that a lot of the leaders of ... More

9. "Surprised at all the positive reviews...not quite how I remember it"

I worked at Harnham full-time

Pros

Well known recruitment agency in the analytics market with some decent clients. That's it really.

Cons

Clients are serviced well, employees not so much. The appearance given is not reflective of the working environment. Limited career progression and management isn't great. Wouldn't be surprised if the boss made everyone write the positive reviews while standing over their shoulder. Try and make out they aren't another typical agency but they are and the pretence just makes it work. Overall not a great place to work and as a graduate you may not know any better and they will encourage this feeling that there is nothing better out there...don't fall into the trap

Advice to Management

Treat staff like people rather than money making machines. You should also stop treating grads like they are disposable.

"Fun work environment, well rewarded"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good senior team, great rewards for effort and achievement, achievable promotions and fun environment - lots of young professionals. Also a buoyant market for a business with strong growth plans. You have to work hard but if you are persistent and don't mind putting the time in it is a great place to be.

Cons

Had a tendency to get frustrating when things weren't going well, but that is maybe the nature of being in recruitment. Also I felt there was a slight over importance put on call stats and KPIs but this may have changed since my time there.

Advice to Management

Carry on the good work.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Many thanks for your honest review regarding your experiences at Harnham. We're sorry that things didn't work out for you here but we're really glad you enjoyed your time with us. Best of luck for ... More

"Culture is shocking"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harnham full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really - kpi driven environment and a culture of elitism and exclusion. Office isn't great and hard to get to from Waterloo.

Cons

Desk based role where your calls are monitored and played back to the team if you mess up. Hard to make target as key accounts are all allocated to managers favourites.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more open to suggestions - free fruit isn't a replacement for career progression.

Jan 20, 2017 – Head of Talent Management

Many thanks for your review. Having just had our annual Launch Day in London, every single team chose culture as the one thing they wouldn’t change at Harnham so I’m sorry that as a business we ... More