Harp Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lisa Harp

1. "Rewarding Experience"

Pros

Working at Harp has been an invaluable learning and growing experience. The work is challenging and varied, constantly keeping me on my toes and teaching me more and more about the industry. It is clear that every member of the team cares a lot about the clients and the work they're producing. There is a continual attention to detail from management and all members of the team, which subsequently produces high quality products day in and day out. As Harp is a smaller agency, I have had the opportunity to assist and learn about many different aspects of the industry, as well as work directly with the company president and other agency leaders on a daily basis. The office is open and inviting, and the close-knit team is more than welcoming. The team camaraderie is one of the highlights of working at Harp.

Cons

No cons, but there is high pressure and a high level of attention to detail. While it was a relatively difficult transition, it is just a part of working at an agency and ultimately leads to the production of high quality work.

2. "All good vibes."

Current Employee - Client Services & Content Marketing Manager in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services & Content Marketing Manager in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Harp Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment at Harp is respectful and collaborative. There is a lot of creative talent on the team and everyone cares a lot about our clients, which makes for very high quality work. The agency is run by pros. They are very detailed oriented and push me to produce my best work. They also recognize talents and give positive reinforcement when deserved. They are respectful of our personal time as well. I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

No cons. There is some pressure, but that comes with agency life. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

3. "A great environment for learning, growing and expanding your skill set."

Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Harp Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Within the first few months of working at Harp, and even within the first few weeks, I was given the chance to play very important roles within the company. As a small team, each individual employee is recognized for their contributions and achievements, making Harp a very rewarding work environment. The opportunities for growth are truly uncapped.
    One of my favorite things about working at Harp is being able to wear multiple hats and apply my skills to a variety of tasks, which makes each day at the office a refreshing experience. I’ve enjoyed the responsibilities associated with managing client projects and the trust I’ve earned as an employee to help make key decisions.
    Creative thinking is always encouraged. The open working environment of our close-knit team makes for easy collaboration and quick communication. The Harp team also loves to keep music playing all day long!
    If you’re looking for an upbeat working environment where you can learn from your co-workers and receive recognition (and you’re willing to participate in our occasional team bowling/lunch trips), consider Harp as your home away from home.

Cons

Commuting over 45 minutes back and forth to work every day is one of the only downsides to my employment at Harp, and even that’s not too bad. Working in the advertising industry also requires the occasional late night at work in order to meet deadlines, so being flexible with this is a must.

5. "All the benefits of a true marketing agency with leaders who care."

I have been working at Harp Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Regardless if you have an established career or are just starting out, Harp is a great place to enhance your current skills and discover new ones. A smaller agency, you'll have the opportunity to touch all aspects of the marketing business and get involved in projects for a wide variety of clients. Most importantly, you'll work directly with the company president and other agency leaders on a daily basis. Understanding and caring people, you'll find they're approachable, professional, and pleasant to work with--even in the most stressful situations. In short, they will inspire you to be the best version of your professional self.

Cons

Like most agencies, there's certainly a lot of pressure to perform well. You'll constantly be challenged to learn and adjust on the fly. If you thrive under pressure, this is the perfect industry for you and the perfect place to start. If not, be honest about this with both yourself and Harp upfront. If the opportunity presents itself, consider working with Harp to discover your place in the industry--even if it's not upfront and center. You can always expect honesty in return.

6. "An overall great experience and still glad to be here."

I have been working at Harp Interactive full-time

Pros

The office has a nice setup where there are no traditional cubicles. Each employee is allowed to play their music of choice if they so desire. The co-workers are friendly and are always willing to help if needed. Casual work attire for Fridays. Typically whoever is in the office on Friday go together as a group out to lunch.

Cons

No 401K plan yet, but it's in the works.

"Minimal Growth"

Pros

Great location in the western suburbs, accessible by most major highways.
    Completely open office, no cubes/walls, this can be a pro or a con depending on if you prefer privacy.

Cons

• Family owned.
    • Much smaller agency than what is presented on the website (shows 9 staff members, 3 of which are still at the company)
    • Client list does not reflect current accounts.
    • If you intend to join the team as a Graphic Designer, the Creative Director works from home so you will spend a vast majority of your day on the phone.
    • Expect to work late, often.
    • 2 sick days a year.
    • No benefits (insurance, 401K).

This is from a previous review in 2009, worth noting that the practice still stands:
    "They have a questionable practice of interviewing as though you will be hired on as a full-time employee, then bringing you on as a freelancer. You won't get hired until you define that boundary. -And if you do, you'll likely earn less than you did as an hourly freelancer, be salaried, and expected to work longer hours..."

Advice to Management

Professionalism goes a long way.

8. "Rewarding, Flexible and Stimulating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

Being a smaller agency, Harp is an excellent place for anyone who can take the initiative. Harp provides an independent work environment that rewards value-added efforts. As an employee, I have the opportunity to pitch in and influence a wide variety of projects and even services. Management is extremely open to new ideas and tactics-in fact encourages it. Overall, Harp Interactive is a very stimulating work environment with talented people, willing management and an opportunity to grow.

Cons

Because Harp is a smaller shop, team members are sometimes called on to contribute in other areas—some love that aspect and some--who are comfortable in their own defined zone--don’t. In general, tho, Harp fills each area with pretty good expertise, so it’s also an opportunity to learn something more under that department leader.

Advice to Management

Relax. New clients are constantly contacting Harp and the team works very hard! We know the president is a perfectionist, but sometimes we get pushed to the 11th hour for tweaks or fine tuning that, in all reality, may not make a difference. Although, in the end, we are always proud of what we develop and deliver.

"Could be bigger if they stop thinking small"

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

Decent range of new work coming in, so there's always a chance to shift focus and think about something different. If you want to stretch out your skill set, this is a great place to do it. Everyone has a chance to try on as many hats as they like.

Cons

Compensation is on the very low end. Benefits are minimal at best.

They have a questionable practice of interviewing as though you will be hired on as a full-time employee, then bringing you on as a freelancer. You won't get hired until you define that boundary. -And if you do, you'll likely earn less than you did as an hourly freelancer, be salaried, and expected to work longer hours. The benefits package is about as bare-bones as it can be and still be called a "benefits package".

Advice to Management

Trust the people you put in place to run the office. There were consistent fights between management and the owner that would throw the whole office into a state of anxiety. Owners are not on-site and are not in touch with how the office runs and what it really needs to run smoothly. When they do get involved, it's not beneficial and instead hinders morale.