Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Brown

1,473 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Employee Centric Work-Place"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harris is a great place to work for with a lot of growth planned, incredible culture and many employee focused initiatives.

Cons

Sometimes Process trumps over results

2. "Large company with opportunities to grow"

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

A large company with multiple opportunities to learn and develop your career. If you are vocal about areas you would like to move into, it is easy to find senior leaders who will advocate for you

Cons

Large companies come with reduced benefits and strong focus on stockholder "needs"

Advice to Management

Don't forget employees are your greatest asset.

3. "The management, the people, and the culture, are among the top reasons I love my job."

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work environment is awesome. The culture at the company is motivational in itself and inspires us all to do our best everyday. The management truly cares about the people here and their actions reflect this. The products we produce here are absolutely amazing and the technology that drives them is second to none in the industry, getting to work with products like this is awesome. I have made many friends here at the company and it truly does feel like a second family to me, everyone here treats you with care and respect, it is a real pleasure to work in this type of environment.

Cons

I literally have nothing bad to say about my job or the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It is abundantly clear that you read and take to heart the feedback from employees during the engagement surveys and truly care about the company and it's people. That's why I love working here.

4. "Principle Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Prnciple Software Engineer in Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Prnciple Software Engineer in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly technical management, great vision and relevant with current technologies and trends. Very intelligent and friendly work force and lots of opportunity for growth if you are up for it.

Cons

Nothing to say here. Out of the 3 well known commercial and defense companies I worked for during my 22+ year career, I rank Harris the highest.

Advice to Management

Management is on the right track. Great communication, leading by example. Great vision for the future and good planning for the future.

5. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Harris is an innovative company who engages in thought leadership driving market trends in lieu of responding to market trends. Pay is more than fair with acceptable benefits and are making great strides in their talent development initiatives.

Cons

Morale at times can be challenging, sequestration has affected benefits and bonuses and created a gap between management and staff.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees more. The key to customer satisfaction is satisfied employees - they will work harder for you if you reward them.

6. "Plenty of opportunity - it's what you make of it"

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Harris is a great company to work for if you work hard to make a difference for the company regardless of your title or level. High potential, high performing employees get plenty of positive attention and opportunity to take on expanded scope and advance their careers. Strong focus on empowerment.
    Culture has been improving in recent years, with more real and visible focus on diversity and inclusion, and initiatives like "dress for your day," maternity parking spaces and nursing rooms, and discretionary PTO.
    Harris technology makes a positive, meaningful difference in our world and communities.
    Very high R&D investment and commitment to technology.

Cons

Generally cheap on compensation and benefits.
    Some schedules like 9/80 are only offered at certain locations or to certain levels – not management, corporate, or acquired businesses. Frustrating and unfair for those working a traditional M-F schedule, especially working alongside someone at a site that does have every other Friday off work. 9/80 for all would really go a long way.

Advice to Management

9/80 across the company.
    Leaders need to get to know their people at every level. Huge disconnect between CHQ leaders and company employees – leaders need to “get out more” to understand what their people need and want to succeed and help grow the company.
    Hold all leaders and employees accountable with clearly defined goals (though this seems to be getting better over time). Address the failing businesses that are holding the rest of the company back.
    Positive progress in diversity, but virtually no women in senior P&L leadership roles.

7. "Company with strong culture and mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an exciting place to work, a lot of energetic, very talented employees really making a difference in the company and the world.

Cons

There is more work to be done to make this an even better company, but that can be a good thing

8. "Growing company with plenty of opportunities to grow a career!"

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Tremendous opportunities for career growth. People that come in and work hard have an endless runway at Harris. Harris is a family oriented company that is active in the community. Flexible programs like "Dress for your day" are being put in place to add to an already engaging culture and workplace.

Cons

The continuous premium increases for our Benefits is disappointing. The company is making as much money as it ever has. Would be nice to see some of that used to offset premium increases in an upcoming year.

Advice to Management

Continue investing into employees and technology.

9. "software engineer"

Pros

lots of opportunities within the company

Cons

the location isnt the best. not a variety of locations

"Mid size defense company with interesting programs, great team environment and 9-80 work schedule"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful and intelligent coworkers, state of the art facility and the ability to create and implement ideas and processes. Veterans and diversity are celebrated

Cons

Although you receive 4 weeks of vacation and every other Friday off, working days can be very long and overtime is often required. Benefits are expensive and compensation is only base salary no opportunity for bonus or commission unless you are an executive

Advice to Management

Keep the interesting programs and work. Reward individual contributor employees fairly through cheaper benefits, bonus or other compensation.

Showing 1,473 of 1,538 reviews