Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes requires long hours, which can be impactful to work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management and decision makers out of touch (in 51 reviews)

"For security people, avoid at all costs..Horrible company with inept management swirling at the drain."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Giving a one star review because I can't give them 0 stars, which I still think would be better than they deserve.
    I actually wasn't even going to post a review on here about them, then I thought the people who might interview for this place, Especially recent college grads. My two biggest points of concern here is their culture and how they treat people, but even more concering is your limited potential for career growth in the Security industry if you decided to work at Harris.

Pros: I guess a steady pay check?

Cons

*Security is not a prevalent mind set, which is sad coming from the SOCC. Tours are allowed to come through and shoulder surf the analysts.. Management has even said, and I quote, "You don't need the internet to do your job" (As an Incident response analyst)...Um yea you kind of do - downloading Snort rules, IDS updates, Intelligence in the wild,etc. The most hilarious part is that when you actually have something to investigate, everything is done via the internet.
    *And on that note, if you are looking to do Security as a career, especeially if you're looking to do IR work, don't work here. The tools that the IR guys are given, and the cultural of "security" is a complete joke. I was blown away when looking at other IR jobs to see what tools people use to do actual analysis, from malware analysis to traffic/network analysis. For example, having a VM to run potential Malware with fiddler or wire shark running in the background to do actualy analysis. Working here in an IR or some security roles severely limits you from a career growth standpoint compared to another company... Speaking to career growth...
    *The company does not often send its employees to Security summits or training of the sort, and if you are lucky enough to go, expect those days to come out of your leave days (PTO).
    *Don't buy into the unlimited leave policy - it's purely discreationary at best. Secondly, the approval process is a complete joke especially when you have a juvenile manager. You have to get approval from your group lead and your task lead, whom if he decides to sit on it for multiple weeks to be vindictive (happened to me), you can be screwed in the long run.
    *Don't expect a raise in security, and if you're a college graduate then definitely don't fall for their "C grad" or "College graduate" program..to say it's a farce would be a compliment at best. Raises are few in far between becauase of how many other people in your company will share the same job title, and they haven't given out bonus raises in a long time (although they conviently had new buildings built that come equipped with a "Starbucks", that pretty much has employees using Starbucks Keurig Cups and charges an exhorbitant fee.)
    *Management has a pass the buck mentality, and clearly permeats from the top down. Don't expect any help from your management or EM's unless it would benefit them.
    *Management is unprofessional at best.
    *Benefits are horrible, as many others on here have touched on.
    *Work life balance isn't great at all. After moving to a company truly values this, its night and day compared to harris.
    *Speaking of Work Life balance, Harris is a complete joke in this regard when it comes to the emergency activation teams (like for hurricanes and such). Guys work 12 hour shifts and in some cases leave their families and houses behind, or they can bring their families (Not pets though so plan accordingly), and yet they still had to pay out of their own pocket for their own rental cars in some cases. Let me reiterate this point - an employee has signed up to treat the company as #1 PRIORITY, and they are still forced to pay out of pocket to support the company? What a joke. I know two analysts who left after this - granted its not all only reason they left (Afterall, there are a lot...it was just the cherry on top) that had been with the company a long time, in over 10+ years in one case.
    *Management is too stubborn to admit when they are wrong, even when it is blatantly obvious, and laugh it off later as if it was something small..And on that note, if you go too far in excelling at your job that it actually exposes your boss/task lead for their own incompetence in not knowing at the very least proper procedure, expect to have a written warning from HR. Again, happened to me. I'd rather work somewhere that recognizes someone for their hardwork than punishes them.
    *Some shady practices that go on at Harris - don't know whether it's illegal or not but i was not comfortable doing it, such as fudging numbers to make appearances "look better."
    Who needs enemies with management like that.

Advice to Management

I would give advice but it would fall on deaf ears. When the CEO's priority is lining share holders pockets and letting talent walk to other companies who pay way more and have better benefits (Like Lockheed Martin)...well I don't need to say much more.
    And if you truly want an understanding of how bad this CEO is - 1) just search these reviews for when he was punched by an employee who's wife had a cancer, he had trouble with the bills, asked him about the benefits, and Bill brown was socked in the face. 2)Go look for a list of top 10 most hated CEOs in the US.
    The day I was let go was by far one of the happiest days I've had in a long time, and I went from a company that was top 10 hated ceo to one of the top 5 places to work for. To say to the difference between the two is monumental, but then again thaat could be the difference between an acsending company who treats their employees right vs a descending company who only cares about share holders, and screw everyone else.

"An absolute horror show of a company"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in North Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in North Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Harris (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with your peers. Nice 401K

Cons

Management could care less about you. If they crash and burn a program it's everybody else's fault. Just ask everyone in Massachusetts what happened. The bottom line is it's all about the stockholders and upper management

Advice to Management

Hard to give advice to management when they usually screw the process up and then blame everyone else. It's a typical environment that never changes and never will. Suggestion is not to go near this company

"Don't join Harris until you desperately need a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than a year)
    Pros
    - 6% matching 401k
    - 4 weeks-vacation (if you have good relationship with your supervisor)
    - Casual dress code
    - Other than Human Resources (HR) and IT (Information Technologies) very
            friendly co-workers.

Cons

Cons
    - Pay raises are small, typically 2%
    - No profit sharing for employees
    - Really poor middle management (senior managers primarily)
    - Middle mgmt. (primarily senior managers) don't care about anything
    - Middle mgmt. (primarily senior managers) are incapable to solve any problems
    - Employee morale is very low
    - Employee turnover rate is very high
    - Constant layoffs
    - Office politics is more important than quality
    - No employee training

Advice to Management

More training & mentoring for senior managers. They seem to have lack of people management skills.

"Complete lack of employee engagement"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Harris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Reasonable starting compensation for college graduate
    - Friendly coworkers
    - The potential for technically interesting work

Cons

- Really pathetic attempts to engage/mentor, left feeling like I was hired to fill a seat
    - Management was near non-existent and I had to figure everything out for myself, very little career guidance
    - The office is a social wasteland - no one seems happy, very little conversation
    - Raises fell well below inflation rates, which means that you're effectively paid less each year
    - Lack of institutional knowledge and processes, I had to embark on a scavenger hunt for even simple tasks
    - High turnover rate, it seems that people are rapidly leaving to work for competition or other places

Advice to Management

Take steps to improve training and employee engagement.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None. Only cutting benefits as fast as they can.

Cons

Really poor mgt. they don't care about you util you are going to leave. Then will do the min to keep you

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want them to stay. Or you will keep having high turnover.

"Great company ruined by poor leadership"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris (More than 8 years)

Pros

6 percent match, Great fun hard working peers, belief in the product you support saves lives. That’s really about it.

Cons

Senior leadership up to the and including the CEO is horrible. They continue to tear down moral by constantly by devastating our benefits. People are leaving left and right and they are in denial that there is an issue. They give out surveys and they promptly ignore all of the top issues. Now they have an active PR campaign on Glassdoor because they are taking such a hit with honest reviews. People used to want to work here now people can’t wait to get out.

Advice to Management

Go away Bill Brown you ruined a great company.

"Not Recommended"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable
    Decent Benefits
    9/80 schedule
    There are some very talented people here

Cons

Awful management
    Bad morale
    Bad culture
    Just about every project has extremely bad planning and sets unreachable goals

Advice to Management

Put Employees First, they're the ones that do the heavy lifting in the long run.

"Company is dying but will probably live on"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good pay if you know how to negotiate
    - interesting opportunities if you are lucky
    - you might get lucky and meet some good people to chat with
    - easy to get a job (in other words we don't hire sharp individuals, we just hire the left overs)

Cons

- too political
    - too cheap
    - losing tons of great technical talent to competing Northrup and Raytheon
    - does not treat employees well

Advice to Management

Stop being idiots. Start fessing up the pay and make your employees feel like a family again. You are losing way too much talent to keep this sustainable. The company will be in lawsuits because you are too management heavy and not meeting customer expectations with too many green engineers. Start mentoring the young and make the old feel valued and have something to give.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big Company
    They give you a corporate credit card
    401K match

Cons

NO JOB SECURITY
    THEY KEEP LAYING OFF PEOPLE
    PMs dont listen engineers
    Worst Health Insurance
    No true training

"Awful company and team"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Gates, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Gates, NY

I worked at Harris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I found a couple nice people in the building. Project might have been interesting if team wasn't terrible. Not much to say.

Cons

Terrible work environment. Project estimate was half of what I took to do work. Management wouldn't change estimate to sane amount. I was told that I should meet estimate and worked 12 hour days and weekend days to try and meet it. Management didn't recognize my hard work and that I was coming up to speed in new code and environment. HR did not listen to what I said or try moving me to a new team. Team environment would be better if design can involve other team members and not just one person.

Advice to Management

Try letting people doing the work estimate work. Candidates- Don't leave a good job to work at Harris.

Showing 231 of 1,498 reviews