Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

1,287 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Good first job for a young architect."

Former Employee - Facilities Co-Op in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Facilities Co-Op in Rochester, NY

Pros

It was a great first job for an student architect. Great place to work, our small group had a close feel to it, everybody kept everybody up to date on their families and happenings outside of work so everybody really trusted each other at work. This made for a pretty laid-back environment, just meet (or beat) the deadlines. If you show that you do quality work and express interest they'll give you additional responsibilities (towards the field of construction management). You work with a wide variety of people from clients to suppliers and contractors which is good experience to have. Overall its a quality company thats growing, located in a city that seems to be coming back to life.

Cons

Due to my position I'm not sure I had much room to advance my career at Harris but I knew that going into it. They certainly would have offered me a permanant job though, and probably would have had some more responsibilities but as an architecture student it wouldn't make much sense to work there for more than a year or two as a first job.

Advice to Management

Don't let things get too bloated.

2. "Harris - Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Flexible work options for engineers. You can choose a field that interest you to work in if it is available. People are helpful and easy to approach if you have a problem. You have a group leader who is a medium between you and you Engineering Manager that you can send all your questions to, and they are usually pretty quick in responding. I'm a new college graduate and have only worked for one other company in the power industry, and the work you get to do at Harris is soooooo much more exciting and interesting. I don't dread having to go to work every day! Love my job!

Cons

Melbourne, FL isn't a very attractive place for people in their 20's. The population here is older.

Advice to Management

Less politics!

3. "Harris is is an outstanding company to work for!"

Current Employee - Network Associate A in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Network Associate A in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Harris is a strong, growing company and seems well positioned for the future. As a result, they treat their people fairly well compared to similar companies in the industry. The future seems fairly stable despite the economy. Also, the pay and benefits are good compared to similar positions I've seen. The career paths are well defined and the company promotes from within which makes the company worth sticking with.

Cons

Due to the size and maturity of the company, opportunities for creativity are limited to the most senior technical people. At the front, most of the processes have been streamlined for efficiency to the point where the bulk of the work is driven by cookie cutter processes and templates.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The only thing I might change would be to offer more cross-training opportunities to test the waters in more creative and diverse positions.

5. "Harris, pretty darn good place to work."

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Engineering company run by engineers, so not as much politics as I would expect at other places. My experiences have been in a family like atmosphere with respect and support. Reasonable opportunities for growth if you work hard and smart - very meritorious based. New CEO has really turned around the company and refocused us in an effective manner. I know a number of people that have gone elsewhere and come back, so that says something.

Cons

Melbourne is known as Mel-boring, but if you love the outdoors and the ocean, this could be a great place to start work. Harris has a growing presence in the DC area, if that is your thing.

Advice to Management

Provide more pertinent training. Stay focused on being best in class engineering solutions.

"Great place begin working..."

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Many areas of Engineering to work in, every other Friday off, 3 weeks vacation at beginning, unlimited sick leave within reason, great coworkers who are always willing to share knowledge and help.

Cons

Raises don't always match performance.

Advice to Management

More recognition and better raises for high performing employees- those who deserve to be rated an H don't always get one because of budget- need a better system than U, S, or H.

7. "At Harris hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Network Planning Engineer III in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Planning Engineer III in Chicago, IL

Pros

Harris puts its employees in a position to succeed and excel

Cons

while Harris is a decent size company with lots of opportunities around the globe. But I find it difficult to transfer to another location without any employee assistance program

Advice to Management

improve the employee tranfer program

"Plan on staying here until I retire"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great team members that actually carry their weight. Management that actually listens. Flexible hours and the pay is excellent.

Cons

Other groups within the company seem to not function as well as our group. Lack of processes to control work flow between departments.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Harris is a great company to work for. Their employees are intelligent, talented, and courteous. There is a strong company identification and being a full-time Harris employee rather than a contractor is a status thing. The maintenance of a good/classy company culture is important to Harris.

Cons

Career progress is based more on character rather than competence. It is not the most educated or skilled that gain promotion or are offered employment with Harris. They have to like you.
    Contractors tend to be second class citizens at Harris.

Advice to Management

Management is a spot on. Keep up the good work.

10. "Good place to work. My first job out of college and have been there awhile. Moved divisions from Govn't to Commericial"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Melbourne, FL

Pros

9/80 work week
    Benefits
    Career Advancement..if you're a go-getter
    Very bright and helpful co-workers

Cons

Red Tape
    Outdated OS (lots of paperwork)
    Too much non-value overhead (Authoria, CMMI, etc.)
    Avoid the Broadcast Comm Division..unless you enjoy a super sloppy organization

Advice to Management

Mgmnt is actually pretty darn good (I worked in Operations at GCSD..thumbs up!). It's just that the government customers have so many requirements and Harris has to play along :-( Also, the BCD division is very different and not very well run. Stick with RF Comm or GCSD.

11. "very good company"

Current Employee - Assembly in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Assembly in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they work 9/80 hours and very nice people

Cons

you can not gain expercience on work , they only hire after you have the bachelor degree

Showing 1,287 of 1,328 reviews