Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

1,285 Employee Reviews

"Dont plan on retiring!"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

I had a wonderfull career as technology rep in Washington for an industrial giant. When they started to go out of business Harris hired me as marketing manager for advanced technology. At the first staff meeting I was introduced to the president. Instead of shaking my hand, he turned to my boss and said"what did I tell you about hiring someone over 40?". My position entailed using my contacts to help secure a government financed factory. I was never allowed to develop or sell a product. On my 50th birthday I was layed off while on a business trip. My position was being advertised, and I had allways beat my sales bogy, so I pressed them to re-consider. Their response was to refuse to give me a reference. The result was my career was destroyed, and I never worked again. Like many of my fellow X-Harrisits I started a business of my own. The weather and life in Fl. is great, but don't plan on retiring from Harris

Cons

Management by fear. Little advancement potential. Many layered empires. No understanding of marketing or business planning.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews on Glas Door-the lack of oportunity is clear. If you ever decide on a product to produce, do a little business planning.

"Avoid this company if possible"

Former Employee - Engineering Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Engineering Specialist in Rochester, NY

Pros

Harris has interesting technology. Many of the people are very good to work with, however there are some real "gems" that are entrenched there, primarily through years of service.

Cons

The "Good Old Boys Club" takes on a new meaning at Harris. The "old timers" think they own the company, and new hires or contractors are not to be trusted. CHEAP, CHEAP in terms of salary. Since Kodak, Xerox, etc. have gone down the tubes in Rochester, they know they can offer peanuts to all the laid off technicians and engineers who need a job. Many of the older staff are "my way or the highway" types who simply ignore input from new employees. It's a shame, because the younger workers are generally very nice.

Advice to Management

Don't be so incredibly short sighted, e.g. conducting a large layoff as orders are pouring in, just because a Democrat gets elected president. DO NOT ignore the way belligerent older employees treat new hires. Harris was 1500 or so employees up until roughly 2000, when they started to experience strong growth. It appears as though many of the good old boys want to keep things the way they were back in the 70's, 80's and 90's and don't appreciate new blood or any contradictory ideas that, although timely, conflict with their older ideals. Also, there is significant bad blood between Harris in Rochester and corporate HQ in Florida. They simply don't like each other and are very uncooperative.

"Harris needs to better evaluate their management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Very good people for the most part (they never advance). Trying to diversify their products to stabilize the future.

Cons

Most managers are obsessed with self-promotion and not always what is best for the company. Many of these same managers have incredibly large egos and mistreat subordinates. The company is big and growing so fast that these managers are able to put on a happy face in front of their superiors, while mistreating others behind closed doors. The company is always supportive of these low character people, because the senior management is scared of controversy and confrontation. These managers will never mistreat you in front of their superiors, and they are skilled at not mistreating the employees in email or any other documented fashion. A majority of managers are your classic school yard bullies. If you are a bully, you will do good at Harris. Intimidation will go a long way there.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that you value them by preventing intimidation and bullying. Take anonymous polls of exempt employees about their managers. They do not need to be public knowledge, but for your information. This will give you a true picture of some of the abusive managers that are overly jubilant when senior management is around. The morale of your exempt employees is at an all-time low, and it's like blood in the water for your managers that take a sick pleasure in abusing people that report to them. Begin to encourage an atmosphere of honesty and openess, and stop allowing managers to intimidate and bully people behind closed doors. Tell them that they should be willing to document anything that they are willing to say behind closed doors. The opportunity you are encouraging is harboring a culture of back stabbing and abuse of talented employees that managers keep down to prevent competition.

5. "The help desk is very high stress for no reason and if you are not perfect they will release you."

Current Employee - EDS Help Desk in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - EDS Help Desk in Boise, ID

Pros

The Benefits were very good - I wish I had more time to take advantage of them. Training for the Help Desk was provided by HP.

Cons

Training was only three weeks and did not cover everything, and there was a lot of wasted time in the training. There was no time for anything - no time to fill out time cards (3 different ones every week and the Harris one is to be done every day.) They start you out in the Outlook queue and you just get comfortable with that and they add another queue which was not well covered in training. You just get use to 8 hours and then you have to work 10 hours. You have a lead for the 8 hours - but then there is no one to help you for the other two hours. You just get use to the hours and they change you to another shift. There is no time for anything and no one to help you. Then if you are not perfect they release you even if you were still learning the job.

Advice to Management

Give the employees time to learn the job before you release them for no reason, cut down on the time cards - in fact use the card scan in as the time card.

"matrix organization with significant complexity and no alignment of responsibility and authority"

Current Employee - Director in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Lynchburg, VA

Pros

great medical benefits and other coverages at a resonable price to employees

Cons

lack of communication and direction, continuous non decision on cross matrix issues

Advice to Management

reduce the matrix bosses to 3 or less

"Better opportunities await elsewhere."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Rochester, NY

Pros

Ability to work on a variety of projects (although that depends upon your group)
    Occasional internationl travel opportunities
    New hires start with 3 weeks vacation
    Unlimited sick leave/personal time and decent 401k matching

Cons

No correlation between performance and compensation.
    Upper management is wasteful and borders on incompetent
    Xerox/Kodak like mentality of adaption (too little too late)

Advice to Management

Software development doesn't cost millions of dollars. Just some motivated employees who feel they're working on meaningful projects and are being fairly compensated for their efforts.

8. "Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Pros

Good co-workers and are helpful for the most part once you figure out who to ask.

Cons

Management is VERY bad - if you are not part of the clique you will never feel that you fit in. Constant criticism.

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead wieght, especially poor managers.

"The only thing Harris likes about America is the money."

Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Very good at making new employees feel as if they are contributing to the growth of the company while they are only assisting upper management preparing to close down factories

Cons

Harris enjoys purchasing small companies, taking their patents and shutting them down to send the work to China. What a great American company who received most of their sales from the the US Military!

Harris closed our production factory down while the "new" factory was charging more for the products we produced for 30 years before they purchased us.

"Weak company once Harris Corporation took over"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Great employees that help one another.

Cons

Under Harris Corporation, the HR department went from so-so to terrible. They don't have a clue on what employees do in the company.
    Company was making large profits and decided to layoff hundred-plus employees in the last six months.
    Mass layoff in March 2012 in Houston and Aberdeen, Scotland left entire work areas not being done anymore or department managers. This has weakened the company and stalled customer projects indefinitely.

Advice to Management

Poorly trained executive management in Houston and Fairfax, Va. Virginia personnel are so removed to the realities of everyday work in Houston and Lafayette.
    Clueless executive management personnel in Melbourne, Fla., don't know how to operate an energy services supplier company. They are stuck in the federal government arena and don't know how to respond to commercial energy clients.

"QA"

Current Employee - Quality in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Quality in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, very smart folks work here.

Cons

NOT a quality oriented company they WILL sacrifice quality over schedule. WAS a great company to work for 9 years ago when I started it has gone down hill from there, compensation is HORRIBLE, personal growth? depends on who you know. last two years we have not even met a cost of living increase while our upper management and higher ups line their pockets INCLUDING the CEO. There commitment to ay QUALITY product shows in how BAD they compensate the Quality department, Quality folks are the worse paid, they get paid at all scales even under an admin.

Advice to Management

FOCUS MORE ON MAKING QUALITY PRODUCTS.

Showing 1,285 of 1,326 reviews