Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Brown

1,445 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes requires long hours, which can be impactful to work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management and decision makers out of touch (in 52 reviews)

1. "Bad upper management"

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are good. Good products and technology.

Cons

Pay is was under the industry level. Upper management has no vision. No bonus for the last 5 years. Even with promotions they give a nominal 1-3% pay hike

"Administrative Assistant / Budget Analyst"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Budget Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Contract government knowledge, as receiving a Secret Clearance.

Cons

Training managers on diversity and managing employees was severely broken. No support from Human Resources.

Advice to Management

Training managers on diversity and managing employees was severely broken. No support from Human Resources, the department needs attention.

"Good work, OK pay"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work if you are fresh out of college.

Cons

Raises are not competitive. Sometimes you have to work with primitive tech.

Advice to Management

Pay better, offer better technical training.

"Mixed"

I worked at Harris full-time

Pros

It is one of the larger employees in Brevard and has an Intelligent workforce and in some locations and divisions offers every other Friday off.

Cons

This company has deteriorated rapidly in morale and quality in the past few years. CHQ rules with fear and pressure from the top and made it difficult to navigate if actions and requests from Sr. Leadership were ethical and appropriate. Salary increases in the past have been delayed and if increases are received many times it does not cover the increase in health coverage premiums causing many employees to go backwards in salary. Many engineers and technical staff are expected to take on increasing levels of responsibility and work levels above their pay grade with no increase in pay. It is said the company philosophy only believes in lateral movements and not to increase compensation even if the new role is well above the current pay grade and level. PRP is a joke, the executive staff purposely set the targets to an unrealistic amount that will never be achieved to not have to pay out employees. I think employees would have taken the news better if corporate announced they were getting rid of PRP instead of this dishonest practice. Lack of trust and no transparency at the top make employees distrustful of any actions the Sr leadership team makes. Bill Brown is actively increasing the stock price to further his personal wealth as his bonuses are paid to stock performance. Unfortunately he is doing this at the expense of his employees and driving away some of his top talent.

Advice to Management

Maximizing shareholder value at the detriment of the employees and company is not sustainable. At some point the executive leadership will either have to recognize the importance of their employees or run the company into the ground.

"Not a good place to grow your career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Initial compensation, though the raises and bonuses suck.
    Overtime pay was available
    Interesting products and solutions

Cons

Too much process with everything; not a fast pace place at all. Uses outdated technologies. Impossible to learn anything new, you'll be doing the same thing day after day. Use the company as a stepping stone if you must, do not waste multiple years here, or else your skills will become stagnant.
    Feels too much like "survival of the fittest" among the engineers.
    CEO and top-level management only care about pleasing shareholders at expense of employee benefits.

Advice to Management

Get a CEO that the employees can be proud of. Don't skimp on performance bonuses and raises. Make the place a fun place to work for young people, it feels way too corporate.

"Lets just say I'm looking for a new job"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

None. Nope. Zip. Nada. No.

Cons

The worst. Don't even consider it, seriously, don't. I have been without work for over a year sitting around just waiting on anything. Managers keep saying oh well we're looking for work, we lost a big contract, etc. This shows they don't value their employees to get them work to do. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? You hired someone to do work for you, why won't you give them work to do? Part of it is their line of business. Government contracts are the worst, they aren't reliable in terms of getting business in the door and then when they loose the business a bunch of employees have no work to do. Unreal. ON TOP OF THAT I've gotten rude, disrespectful, patronizing, unprofessional, degrading emails from upper management. When I confront them saying that it was uncalled for and unappreciated in how they talked to me in that message they didn't respond or apologize. I, as well as everyone else, demand respect and when your own management won't respect you then why respect them? why work for them any longer? I'M DONE, OUT, I'M GONE. You guys had be running after leaving me sitting around with no work for 4 months after I was HIRED!!! Why was I ever hired to begin with? I've wasted ALL of my time here. Thanks for nothing. Like I said - the worst. Don't even consider them.

Advice to Management

Show your employees respect and value your employees. And for goodness sake give them freaking work to do. No one likes to come in to work to sit and look at a computer screen for 8 hours and leave, day in and out for over a year. It really wears thin on people and makes them loose a sense of purpose and meaning. Get your crap together before you plunge all of your employees into depression.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time

Pros

Good benefits and Fridays off

Cons

Old boys network; CEO is unliked

"Decent place to work. Not the best."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO (in reality it is 4 weeks per year "no questions asked", then time beyond this requires more signatures of approval). Matrix organization helps ensure you can find a better fit in the company if you're not happy with your current situation. Work/life balance is usually good, but again depends largely on your project.

Cons

Diminishing benefits every year, sub-par salary with regard to the rest of the industry for long-timers. Harris increases new-hire salary caps but doesn't keep up with current employee salaries. Annual promotions are lower than inflation in several (but not all) departments. LOTS of turnover on my program, hard to keep good people around for long. Harris advertises an annual profit-sharing payout benefit, but a few years ago it was restructured and will likely never be paid out again.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and keep top talent, find out what is important to your employees and keep them happy. Stop reducing benefits and keep up with industry salaries.

"Quality Engineer"

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

The are alot of great people to work with and we build products that support our troops.

Cons

Used to be a great place to work. Benefits keep reducing. Tend not to replace people who leave shifting the work load to the remnant and expecting the same output.

Advice to Management

Stop the bleeding and start compensating people for their effort or you will continue to loose good people. Its not just about the stock price. Stop selling the next big thing before we have sold any of the first big thing.

"Harris"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location and the employees are the only pros

Cons

Salary, health insurance, constant changing of benefits, constant changing of policies

Advice to Management

Better communication on procedures and polices. Also stick to one policy

Showing 1,445 of 1,508 reviews