Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,410 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance, at times challenging (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management set ridiculous unarchievable financial goals not to give bonus even though it was just tiny amount not enough to buy an iPhone (in 51 reviews)

1. "Business Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Rochester, NY

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, interesting projects, use of latest tools and excellent training.

Cons

Heavy workload at times, numerous processes to manage concurrently

"Do more with less..."

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Work with some great people
    Some flexibility (work/life balance) depending on your manager
    What we do, can save lives!

Cons

Understaffed - difficult to back fill - but expected to work as if we're at full capacity
    Very little recognition and reward for accomplishments
    Little accountability for poor performers that can drag the company down

Advice to Management

Better appreciation of your high performing employees
    Better accountability of the poor performers
    Try to understand how decisions at the top affect your employees on a day to day basis

"Awful company and team"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Gates, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Gates, NY

I worked at Harris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I found a couple nice people in the building. Project might have been interesting if team wasn't terrible. Not much to say.

Cons

Terrible work environment. Project estimate was half of what I took to do work. Management wouldn't change estimate to sane amount. I was told that I should meet estimate and worked 12 hour days and weekend days to try and meet it. Management didn't recognize my hard work and that I was coming up to speed in new code and environment. HR did not listen to what I said or try moving me to a new team. Team environment would be better if design can involve other team members and not just one person.

Advice to Management

Try letting people doing the work estimate work. Candidates- Don't leave a good job to work at Harris.

"Not good."

Current Employee - Technician in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Technician in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have none. Sorry but the reasons I joined ITT 14 years ago are long gone.

Cons

Narrow minded mico managers constantly disrupt the process with useless Gemba meetings and endlessly evolving flow charts.

Advice to Management

Get this into your heads while you still have a company; ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL. You have a diversity of products and facilities, yet you constantly strangle them with pointless uniformity. Somebody in corporate needs to realize that Melbourne is not the center of the universe, and they don't corner the market on brains either.

"Great Company, Could Improve"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at Harris full-time

Pros

Great culture for new grads, beautiful new building, interesting products

Cons

Low salaries, no annual bonus, minimal feedback, slow growth/stagnant trajectory

Advice to Management

Reward high performers and get rid of low performers. I often felt like our processes and low performing employees restricted us. Create a culture of removing inefficiencies and errors. Then FINANCIALLY reward those employees who perform.

"Good company to work for"

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Very nice benefits package - healthcare, vacation, 401k, etc.

Cons

Merit increases are very small and promotions seem to be non-existent.

"The trends are BAD"

Current Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great facilities. Lots of new work to go around, but not enough people to staff it. Direct supervisors and managers are very accommodating and interested in your career development.

Cons

Lots ...
    1) The company is cash strapped, so compensation has taken a huge hit for a couple years now and the trend is not improving. High performers (even those receiving the top performance rating) receive only a 1-2% differential in raise, on top of what is already mediocre. They have even delayed raises by a week or two every year just to hold the cash/rates that much longer.
    2) Very few incentives to excel. There has been no profit sharing for several years. And even high-profile awards come with no money any more.
    3) Executives seem perfectly content addressing attrition by simply increasing hiring, particularly of new graduates. This places additional burden on experienced employees, and our taken pool is losing experience on average.
    4) Vacation balances were cashed out over a year ago and placed in escrow, only accessible to the employee when they leave the company. So, rather than distribute them as some sort of incentive (which in turn would remove an incentive to LEAVE), the cash just sits there making interest for the company.
    5) The company takes surveys and every year the results are worse and worse relating to compensation (the lowest rating of all categories) yet they never suggest a plan to address it.

Advice to Management

When considering whether to work here (or even to stay here), there are two things to consider, among others:
    1) Stability. Yes, the CEO has increased the stock price. However, the way we got there is troubling. Acquiring a company and then struggling every quarter to pay debts. Losing talent and replacing with new hires. I fear that it’s only going to take a handful of quality escapes on high-profile jobs and the cards will come crumbling down. We’re asked quarter after quarter to work extra to help the books, but this can’t be sustainable.
    2) Trends. “If I start here (or stay here), what is the trend in compensation, etc?” They are not good, and corporate fails to communicate when if ever they expect to change. It seems like they’ll only try to find new ways to squeeze more money out of employees.

My advice: you can’t be content with simply managing attrition (by increasing hiring). Even if we assume attrition rates are normal, how much productivity/efficiency/innovation are you losing due to low morale/motivation? It’s a LOT. Sometimes if you give a little you get more in return.

I personally am not one to stop excelling just because I’m not compensated for it. However, that means I owe it to myself to find a company that rewards that, not stay at one that doesn’t.

Oct 6, 2017 – Team Leader

We sincerely appreciate your contributions to Harris Corporation. We have a specific, comprehensive long-term business plan to make us even stronger than we are today, and offer very competitive... More

"Harris executives are thieves"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Harris used to be a great company to work for.

Cons

Management is bleeding the talent of benefits and pay while working them harder and harder. No matter how great of a job you do, you are expected to do better. Expectations are purposely set for failure so that you will work as hard as humanly possible and once you fail to reach the impossible, they have a viable reason to not give you raises and bonuses that you probably got for the 12 years prior to Bully Brown arrived. The company's management also lacks ethics from a business perspective. You are often pressured into taking a position that is borderline illegal. Eventually, this company will get busted for the fraud they encourage.

Advice to Management

Bill Brown and his cronies need to finish raping the company. Move on and find a new victim.

Sep 28, 2017 – Team Leader

Thank you for your contributions to Harris Corporation. Although you are not a current employee, we support open communications on all matters. Our compensation and benefits packages are very... More

"Anonymous Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Unlimited vacation and sick time, depending on approval at different levels.

Cons

Below average pay. Employees are disposable. Very poor raises and minimal opportunities to be promoted or move ahead, unless you're in with the current management,. Management changes often and is close to incompetent. Unlimited vacation and sick time is technically unlimited, but will certainly be used against you if you use it as intended.

Advice to Management

The culture in this company is changing quickly and for the worst. Everyone is just looking out for themselves and could not care less about the employees that work for them or the quality of their products. It used to be that there was a culture of team work and managers were encouraging and supportive of their employees' career development. It is now a culture of back stabbing run by a select few that only care about their own bonuses.

"Harris 2017, was a great place now poor"

Current Employee - Director in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not many. Some great products but that is slowly going away too

Cons

Many. Benifets are very poor but managements thinks they are comparable to others which shows how much they are not in Touch They say unlimited vacation but you won't get it. They want and are working to remove experience talent to bring in young low-cost talent.
    Attrition is very high and most talented people know to stay away
    Have remove any. Profit-sharing plans or have made it impossible to reach the goal to get any profit-sharing

Advice to Management

Remove CEO yes he's increase the stock but at the cost of a good place to work this can't last having no talent

Oct 3, 2017 – Team Leader

Thank you for you service to Harris Corporation. Employees continue to tell us that our compensation and benefits packages are a reason they are drawn to Harris and remain with the company. -- Harris... More

Showing 1,410 of 1,468 reviews