Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

1,261 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,261 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance, at times challenging (in 29 reviews)

• It's my belief upper management dropped the ball when it comes to a certain government project they lost (in 47 reviews)

1. "Overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Excellent work life balance, great managers that give you the opportunity to showcase your skills and talents. The ability to work from home, depending on your project assignment.

Cons

At times it could seem like you're just another number. Corporate, as of lately, seems to care less and less about the employees.

2. "Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Procurement in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Procurement in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the people are great. Everyone in my direct department is wonderful to work with. Work is continuously challenging, we are always busy. My management is very flexible and always willing to work with me especially when it comes to time off. "Unlimited" sick and vacation time. Competitive pay. Management seems to be very receptive to my career goals.

Cons

Some of the people in other departments think a little highly of themselves. From what I have heard bonuses have been lacking in the last year or two after the acquisition of Exelis. I've also heard it is not easy to receive a promotion, but I cannot speak to that on a personal level. Not many are very fond of the CEO.

3. "Not the culture I wanted"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company will be around and is doing well, no worries about it failing.
    Lots of different opportunities.
    Corporate support employees see more stability.

Cons

Most employment is contract work for government,, DoD, etc.
    There is a lot of change on company structure, seemed like every 3-4 months there was an upper level or organizational change.
    Too much change and travel requirements for me. If you don't live in the NOVA/DC area, expect a lot of travel.
    Tons of time spent on answering RFPs, jockeying for your next contract, etc.
    The company expects high turnover.

Advice to Management

None really. It probably works for former military that are used to traveling and jumping on a plane without notice. It was not good for me. If you want a more traditional, rigid company, Harris might work for you. If you want more flexibility, comfortable atmosphere, and growth opportunities, look elsewhere.

5. "Harris"

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Flexible and generous PTO policy

Cons

Large company, clunky review process

6. "Systems Engineering Intern"

Pros

Great experience to learn technical skills

Cons

Imbalance of work. Sometimes overloaded, sometimes have nothing.

7. "Itt to Exelis to Harris"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very talented and friendly staff with some forward thinking processes, at least in the software engineering department in Fort Wayne.

Cons

This is a very large company and pretty much none of the corporate wide policies make sense, e.g. Travel and IT policies. Difficult to say how Harris will be but the management for Exelis was just there to squeeze the last drop of "this quarter profitability" out of the company while running it into the ground.

Advice to Management

pursue more long term relationships including spending on R&D rather than how to make your quarterly bonus

8. "Current Harris Employee"

Current Employee - Scientist in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Scientist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, current time off policy is very generous.

Cons

Management does not drive accountability into the organization. Bad apples allowed to sit for years and poison the culture, doing damage to the company reputation and revenue.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about lawsuits and remove poor performers.

9. "Review of Harris"

Pros

Top notch company liked it a lot

Cons

Job uncertainty with current market

"Avoid this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Coworkers. Some of the best coworkers I have ever worked with in a job. Hours in Engineering are good and flexible. Factory hours are not flexible.

Cons

Leadership is a hot mess. They have no idea what their employees value. We take surveys and their responses to the surveys are laughable. Our concerns are compensation and benefits... their response... you can wear shorts to work now. Out of touch or don't care. Company has been all about the bottom dollar and is not concerned about the employees. The Good ol'boy club... you will be cap'd on how far you can go. They are notorious for putting people in high level positions that have at least 20 years in the company.

Advice to Management

Start to get it together. People are leaving in troves because they have no faith in you or that you care about the employees. That's great you care about the shareholders but you need to start investing in your employees. That's why lots of great talent has left and will continue to leave.

"Used to be a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

"unlimited" time off is about the only thing they have going anymore. Although as a long time employee you're now on par with new hires

Cons

Cut long time benefits. 401k match went from 6% to 3%. Health insurance keeps getting more expensive with less coverage. Annual raises have been delayed multiple times in the past few years. Never get profit sharing anymore. And when they switched to unlimited vacation they "paid" out accrued hours to an account you can't touch until you leave the company and it doesn't draw interest. They are now selling off my department so I guess the good thing is I will get my accrued vacation money.

Advice to Management

You are deserting long time employees at an alarming rate but I guess that helps your bottom line...........for now.

Showing 1,261 of 1,300 reviews