Harris Teeter Reviews in Chapel Hill, NC | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • They pay really well and have good bonus checks (in 99 reviews)

• if you love customer service, you will love this job (in 86 reviews)

Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 71 reviews)

• Poor Management as well as inflexibility of hours for part time workers (in 62 reviews)

1. "Awesome company!"

Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company actually cares about it's customers and backs it up. I was fortunate enough to be in a department manager position and I appreciated the support I got from my higher level managers on a daily basis. Loved working for this company!

Cons

Working overnight shift was tough on my family life, if I was single with no family I'd still be working here.

Advice to Management

Keep driving excellent customer service and holding employees to a high standard. HT has a good reputation, don't let it slip.

2. "Slippery Freezers"

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Within a few months of working, you get full-time employment and benefits. Every employee of Harris Teeter gets a profit-sharing check bi-annually as a way of saying "Thanks for helping us make money, you deserve some of it, too!" They're a very customer-oriented company. I've never seen a place so focused on the ultimate customer experience.

Cons

At my store in particular, the deli/bakery department manager was pretty terrible. The deli/bakery was always understaffed, so anyone working at the bread kiosk was basically tethered there with no one to cover for them if they needed to use the bathroom, go on break, or get more bread from the freezers to bake. One day, I was supposed to be off and home at 3pm, but didn't leave until 4:30 because I had to wait for the department manager to get back, then I got written up for not taking a lunch that I shouldn't have had to take had I been able to leave at 3 like I was supposed to. (Oh yeah, you get written up for not taking a lunch break if you're working 6.5 hours that day. But it's technically 6 hours since you're not getting paid for that other half hour you were scheduled for.)

I was pregnant during my time there, and as part of my job at the bread kiosk, I had to go into those big ol' freezers and get bread (which is hard to do when the whole deli/bakery department is understaffed, so you have to wait until someone's free to either cover the kiosk for you, or go to the back in your place and get you bread. That can take up to an hour. I've been in trouble and yelled at for not having bread when I physically cannot leave the kiosk because everyone else is too busy with their jobs to get me bread or cover me.) This wouldn't be a problem if there hadn't been huge ice patches on the floor (the slip-resistant shoes you get as part of your uniform for the deli department that you pay for don't work on ice) and boxes that are thrown all across the place, hazardously, and boxes that weigh about 35 pounds on the top shelf (6 feet up and I personally am a little over 5 feet tall), so of course I'm concerned about the safety of my baby. I voice my concerns to the department manager who could care less.

TL;DR
    They had a pregnant lady go into a freezer where she could possibly fall and lose her baby. 0/10 would work there again.

"A corporate Starbucks is better"

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profit sharing bonus checks twice a year based on your earnings. 10% discount on HT brand products. Sometimes there are items that are free for a week to employees. 401K with employer matching.

Cons

The company leaves every department under staffed while still expecting amazing results. Starbucks is an off shoot of fresh foods and thought of last in all respects. There is little to no opportunity for full-time work and only full-time employees have health coverage. There is no tipping allowed.

Advice to Management

Staff more people, give more hours and more full time positions. Get to know how Starbucks is run so the team lead doesn't drown in all the work and you can help when needed. Listen to the needs of the Starbucks staff when they ask for help.

4. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work from 11 PM to 7 AM. The job is not stressful and the management is very nice. I appreciate that they hired me with no recent work experience other than lawn mowing.

Cons

My hours are restricted because I cannot work full time right now. They did offer me a full time position but I am in college and couldn't take it.

"Providing excellent quality and service!"

Former Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in my neighborhood so everyone knew and loved me. I enjoyed seeing everyone I knew and catching up with them. It was right up the road from me!

Cons

Standing on your feet for long hours. Can't have piercings or tattoos showing.

Advice to Management

Loosen up on piercing and tattoo regulations. That doesn't define someone's character.

"Should be a good job but isn't."

Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time

Pros

Benefits, great co-workers, match 401k contribution

Cons

Bad management tactics all the way up the chain, can't feasibly keep up with the computer assisted order system and the pay was higher for this job 10 years ago. Expect to never leave work on time.

7. "Run while you can."

Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only thing that comes to mind is 10% discount on HT brand grocery items.

Cons

Customer service managers are downright rude to new hires. Department managers do not bother to learn the jobs of their employees, yet expect new hires to train other new hires. Understaffing causes total failure of any quality customer service, yet you are called into the office on customer complaints.

Advice to Management

Try being helpful and friendly to new hires while they are getting their training done. Try to resolve under staffing issues. (Upper management seems to think staffing at 60% of what is needed is saving money, while exorbitant turnover of hourlies is the result).

"Awful awful awful!"

Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly paycheck, and the starting pay (at least for me) is technically above minimum wage. If it had been minimum wage, though, my weekly paychecks wouldn't have been appreciably different.

Cons

Horribly inconsistent management, immoral (and borderline illegal) scheduling practices, no overtime or holiday pay, and no attempts by management to treat their employees with any sort of respect.

9. "Good Starter Job"

Former Employee - Cashier, Cust Serv Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier, Cust Serv Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job for someone entering the workforce. I appreciate that they hire those with disabilities. Flexible. I was able to take leave for school and still have the job when I needed it, but that may have changed. I was also able to transfer to a location closer to my school for part of the year.

Cons

Drama, unprofessionalism in management. Fraternization. May be able to move up, but likely only if someone likes you. Large variations among stores.

10. "Customers treated better than associates."

Current Employee - Assistant Inventory Control Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Inventory Control Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. Bonuses 2 times a year. Vacation hours.

Cons

Management treats assoiciates poor. Treat customers better than associates.

Advice to Management

Have classes on how to treat employees.

Showing 20 of 1,406 reviews