Harris Teeter Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

3.3
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Paid every week, company bonus checks, raises (in 100 reviews)

• if you love customer service, you will love this job (in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 71 reviews)

• Poor Management as well as inflexibility of hours for part time workers (in 63 reviews)

1. "deli"

Former Employee - Deli in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Deli in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

everybody is nice and great customer service

Cons

Nothing everything is great there and the workers are always willing to help.

2. "So far it been the best retail job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My store manger is so lay back. Let you run your own show to learn from your own mistake.

Cons

I see they like to move manager around don't considered where u live before they move you. Knowing you have a family .

Advice to Management

Stop moving manager fix the broken store. Don't break up your good running store to fix your bad stores. Because a manager is only good as his team. Moving the manager breaking up the team everyone lose. Fact

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for part time and full time employees. Great to work for. Also generous with breaks provided they do not impact business needs.

Cons

Retail industry can be difficult. Customers can be mean and rude. While management is understanding of scheduling, getting time off can be difficult occasionally.

4. "Overall nice place to work"

Current Employee - Homeshop Selector in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Homeshop Selector in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good profit sharing bonus twice a year
    Friendly environment
    Nice management
    Good starting out pay for a basic part time job

Cons

Sometimes the customers are rude and think you're dumb. Management has high expectations, very fast paced and sometimes hard to keep up with.

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good management, good business practices

Cons

Pay does not increase quickly

6. "Nice Store"

Former Employee - Deli in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Deli in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and clean environment, local store valued good employees.

Cons

Benefits were lacking and pay was relatively low.

7. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - BBT Assistant Manager in Stony Point, NC
    Current Employee - BBT Assistant Manager in Stony Point, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Understanding company, good values and work ethics

Cons

For the most part good people work there.

8. "Would NOT recommend for long term."

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively nice employees to work with.

Work isn't hard to grasp -- it's strenuous and tedious, but it's very simple and easy work.

Nice profit sharing checks twice a year.

Employee thrown get together/parties for the holidays.

10% discount on HT products

Cons

The way internal conflict is handled is piss-poor and degrading. It's always down to he-said-she-said prepubescent drama instead of legitimized facts that are prevalent. that says more about management than the company..

Not always very flexible with availability -- I started out asking to work every other sunday for religious reasons -- and slowly was made to work every sunday for months after being trained. Then when brought to attention i was made to look like I was at fault for not speaking up or being unfair.

Horrible pay rate. Other companies pay way more to do the same exact job.

Management is full of liars. They promise a raise and never give it to you. Then they write you up for reasons that aren't your fault.

Customers treat you like complete TRASH. And even when they're wrong by a landslide, management doesn't care because the customer is always right. So you either have to sit on your hands and shut up and take it -- or speak up in which case you get reprimanded for not having good customer service or treating the customer as though they are always right.

management hands out free things to customers just because.. doesn't matter how much blood, sweat, or tears goes into the labor it takes to make them those things or get it for them -- it's free. If I had a customer eat a whole rack of hot ribs, return it and say it fell on the ground or it was gross, they would get a second one free plus their money back. That money comes out of our profit sharing checks.

You never really leave the time you're scheduled to leave -- it's usually anywhere between 20-45 minutes and clean up is very rushed.

very very short staffed. Makes closing duties very hard to accomplish in a reasonable time frame

Low raises.

Not many chances to move up in the company or move departments unless you grovel and beg for months and even then it's not promised.

very emotionally taxing. I've gone home several times in tears.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with availability..

Raise the pay rate. We do a hell of a lot of work to be paid as little as we are. I've worked for Harris Teeter for three years and i've only gotten two twenty-five cent raises. That's disgusting.

Be more open and honest individuals. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Be more understanding. sometimes the customer is flat out wrong and we want you to have OUR backs. I personally don't feel like management or Harris Teeter as a whole has their associates backs. It's all about money. That's why our competition like Lowe's and Publix will dominate and do better. They treat their employees better.

Writing someone up for insubordination because they begged you to do their job when you refused to let them (instead having them do your own job) and then threatening to write them up because they do your job (and not their own) isn't fair. Treat your employees with the same kind of fairness you expect them to treat you with.

Stop handing out so much free food just because you think that's the quickest way to shut a complaining customer up. If someone complains -- your automatic response shouldn't be "well here's this for free" because at that point you're not solving the issue, you're just covering it up for free and creating more problems.

HIRE MORE PEOPLE.
    two people aren't enough to close an entire deli department on the busiest days of the week.

Work more night shifts... I hardly EVER see a manager in my department anymore working the schedule they're supposed to. We should have a manager work every night until 7pm, but we don't. Contrary to popular belief, we actually NEED a closing manager in our department.

9. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy Stocker in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy Stocker in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great part-time job with great pay.

Cons

Very fast paced environment, can be stressful.

10. "I worked in Starbucks which basically functioned as a separate part of the store."

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, interact with customers, lots of new products to constantly sample, overall friendly staff and management (so long as you do your job)

Cons

Other workers not pulling their weight, the occasion customer who thinks the world revolves around them, inexplicable pay discrepancies amongst employees

Advice to Management

HT management should either put more concern Starbucks issues. After all, it's still a vital part of the company.

Showing 539 of 1,483 reviews