Harris Teeter Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 69 reviews)

• Inconsistent hours busy store too many part time employees (in 61 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Kernersville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Kernersville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are friendly most of the time but are also complaining about the lack of baggers and the u scan always down

Cons

In Kernersville if you are not in the clique you are treated terrible and get the worst schedules or very few hours

Advice to Management

Send front end personnel for training on common courtesy and allow actual hands on training to new hires to allow them to do the job properly

2. "It's great if you can put up with the crap"

Current Employee - Clerk in Holly Springs, NC
    Current Employee - Clerk in Holly Springs, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job that will help pay the bills.

Cons

The management is so critical of and disconnected with their employees. They berate and complain about the hourly employees so much that they drive the minions to quit in a few months. It is still a "good old boys" club where, despite what you might hear, there is little room for promotion. Once you're in the clique, it is impossible to get fired even if you show up drunk on the job. Several times I requested to go into different training programs, and nothing has happened. They change people's hours from day to day--sometimes while you're at work--so you can never plan anything.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your lower level employees are the key to success. If you focus on the employees and not the customers or profits, the company will prosper. Your failure to treat employees with dignity and respect is deplorable. The company will still function very effectively without managers.

3. "Slippery Freezers"

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Within a few months of working, you get full-time employment and benefits. Every employee of Harris Teeter gets a profit-sharing check bi-annually as a way of saying "Thanks for helping us make money, you deserve some of it, too!" They're a very customer-oriented company. I've never seen a place so focused on the ultimate customer experience.

Cons

At my store in particular, the deli/bakery department manager was pretty terrible. The deli/bakery was always understaffed, so anyone working at the bread kiosk was basically tethered there with no one to cover for them if they needed to use the bathroom, go on break, or get more bread from the freezers to bake. One day, I was supposed to be off and home at 3pm, but didn't leave until 4:30 because I had to wait for the department manager to get back, then I got written up for not taking a lunch that I shouldn't have had to take had I been able to leave at 3 like I was supposed to. (Oh yeah, you get written up for not taking a lunch break if you're working 6.5 hours that day. But it's technically 6 hours since you're not getting paid for that other half hour you were scheduled for.)

I was pregnant during my time there, and as part of my job at the bread kiosk, I had to go into those big ol' freezers and get bread (which is hard to do when the whole deli/bakery department is understaffed, so you have to wait until someone's free to either cover the kiosk for you, or go to the back in your place and get you bread. That can take up to an hour. I've been in trouble and yelled at for not having bread when I physically cannot leave the kiosk because everyone else is too busy with their jobs to get me bread or cover me.) This wouldn't be a problem if there hadn't been huge ice patches on the floor (the slip-resistant shoes you get as part of your uniform for the deli department that you pay for don't work on ice) and boxes that are thrown all across the place, hazardously, and boxes that weigh about 35 pounds on the top shelf (6 feet up and I personally am a little over 5 feet tall), so of course I'm concerned about the safety of my baby. I voice my concerns to the department manager who could care less.

TL;DR
    They had a pregnant lady go into a freezer where she could possibly fall and lose her baby. 0/10 would work there again.

5. "Nope."

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager, Dairy/Frozen in Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager, Dairy/Frozen in Apex, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you. Not much, but they do pay you.

The only retail company I've seen that requires employees to take lunch breaks.

Cons

Everything. Literally everything. The work is mindless and unfulfilling. The managers are unhelpful and largely ignorant of their own staff. Their training program is full of completely useless information, and the tests you have to take ask about things that are never brought up on training.

Go work for Publix.

Advice to Management

Learn how to talk to people. Actually pay attention, and at least pretend like you care.

6. "Not for adults"

Former Employee - Grocery Stocking Clerk in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocking Clerk in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts on store items and.....

Cons

My first night working there my manager is telling one of my coworkers that I may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Find managers that look to help their clerks grow and advance within the company.

7. "Very awful management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good hours and welcoming coworkers

Cons

awful pay, no business models and lousy coworkers.

8. "Cross-Trained U-Scan Cashier/ Grocery Clerk"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Matthews, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Matthews, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter (Less than a year)

Pros

Some-what Flexible work hours
    Easy to get in for Entry Level applicants

Cons

Bad Management
    High Turnover
    Horrible Scheduling
    Unmotivated day Cashiers

Advice to Management

More attentive to customer needs
    Better Scheduling system
    Expect more from the Day staff (the night staff spends most of the time cleaning the store)

"apply only if desperate Crescent commons store #0257"

Current Employee - Cashier in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cary, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We get paid is weekly. ........... . . . .

Cons

Pay is extremely low For 8 hours I dont even make $100 before taxes.

Customer service manager Curtis is a control freak or on a serious power trip

One of my coworkers has asthma and he told her she could not keep her emergency medicine with her.

It also gets very hot in the summer and the break room is upstairs where there is no air conditioning

We have to work under lamps that get really hot. That plus no ac and being told we cant have water at our station is pretty ridiculous.

If curtis is there and it is busy you will not get to leave on time ever he doesnt care

System is not efficient and really old.

They make u work on call instead just scheduling enough people so u cant plan anything that day

I am only here because I really need a job. But I have no intention of staying here. The management needs some serious training on how to treat employees. They only care about customers.

There are more cons but im tired of typing

Advice to Management

No one wants to work for someone on a power trip

Pay a decent wage. This is a big part of why u can't keep employees

Need more managers like mike (no longer at store) and wesley

Get rid of on call and just schedule the right number of people

"dreadful."

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Indian Trail, NC
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Indian Trail, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only compliment that i can think of would be the staff around the store was friendly and worked together under difficult circumstances.

Cons

constant schedule issues, mostly from little to no flexibility for time off requests, increasing demands for hours to complete the required tasks of the department are ignored, unorganized training plans/methods, false promises of everything from pay raises to new work opportunities. and a severe lace of empathy for when life offers a difficult moment (loss of family member, physical sickness/pain, etc.)

Advice to Management

1) more understanding of life outside the job.
    2) react to needs and staff issues quickly and efficiently.
    3) recognition of the hard work and dedication day in and day out.

"Home Shopping at Harris Teeter"

Former Employee - Personal Home Shopper in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Personal Home Shopper in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say is the customers were very nice.

Cons

I was hired to be a part time home shopper and ended up being mostly a cashier. They do not tell you this when you apply to be a home shopper and are hired for that either. As a cashier you are on your feet doing very physical work (who knew being a cashier was so physical?)..having to beg for a break. They schedule you 15 minutes shy of having to give you a half hour lunch break which is basically skirting the law.

Home shopping was fine and actually fun to do, but they kept making excuses for not putting me where I was hired to be (mostly because they cannot keep cashiers and were desperate-they will tell you after the fact that cashiering is part of the front end of which home shopping is part of). They took 3 weeks to train me for home shopping...something that could have been accomplished in 3 days. You are timed as a home shopper which can be problematical if you have a lousy produce department or the hand held computers you use continually break down as happens to be the case in this store.

The workers and management in the store I worked in were unfriendly and unhappy; no comradery, no teamwork. The management did not seem to care about the workers or anything else.

The pay is lousy, and even if they do have benefits, if you cannot afford them ...what good are they?

The turnover in this store was unbelievable and I am not surprised. Without a doubt the worst working experience I have ever had in my career. I quit after 6 weeks.

Advice to Management

Learn to be actual managers, engaged in your store and listen to your employees-they are the ones doing the work and know the issues. If you do not care about your job, it trickles to the employees and it shows.

Showing 46 of 1,349 reviews