Harris Teeter Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

1.0
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Bonus Checks were nice to look forward too (in 106 reviews)

• Plus they have twice yearly profit sharing (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 75 reviews)

• Poor Management as well as inflexibility of hours for part time workers (in 69 reviews)

1. "horrible company"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter (More than a year)

Pros

i got to know a lot of people

Cons

they use you until, until they don't want you. their manager are horrible seriously, worst company ever. who knows maybe it was the store that i worked in

Advice to Management

care about people

2. "Express Lane Selector"

Current Employee - Express Lane Selector in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Express Lane Selector in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, keeps you busy

Cons

Little to no appreciation, increasing workload and no compensation, understaffing, undersheduling, underequipped and underpaid. You are expected to make this department your life and are shamed/punished for leaving at your scheduled time and not overstaying.

3. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy job. brainless thinking!! If you want to be a minion this is perfect for you.

Cons

No development, no exceptions, chaos daily, they claim standards are high, yet I'm not sure there are standards. They document with no coaching or followup.

Advice to Management

invest in your people and they may not leave you. Leaving you to have less then 80 turnover in management.

4. "Department managers not respected"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus great medical plan

Cons

Not all, but most store Directors are clueless and could careless about who punches in or out...they think everyone is replaceable so there is no need to have any concerns or connections with them including their department managers; which they treat awful...district managers are bad also...they will fuss at someone on sales floor in front of customers!!!!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes...treat the people who take of you with respect...

5. "Bad!"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Clayton, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Clayton, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Profit Sharing, Flexiable Hours and Food was good.

Cons

Where do I begin? Horrible management that expects you to get the job done when you have no help, not to mention they want you to stay longer to get the job done but then get up set when you have over time and get written up?! Pay was horrible for the amount of work they wanted you to do, the people I worked with were more about gossiping then doing there job, managers favored certain employees and even though the customer was wrong, and said horrible things to not only me but other employees the customer ended up getting free stuff and continued to bully me and other employees every time they came Into the store!

Advice to Management

For starters hire more help! The reason why we had very little help is because no one really trained us and they expected us to do a 5 person job with only two people! Do not let customers cuss at your employees or throw things at them and then give them free stuff and continue to let them shop at your store! Not to mention the bullying that goes on with other employees! I have worked in other delis before like Wegmans for example and never would they of treated there employees like you guys have! Anytime a person asks me if they should work at Harris Teeter, I would tell them Absolutely Not!!

6. "Low Morals and Values"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pinehurst, NC
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pinehurst, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Okay benefits. Paid weekly on time.

Cons

low morals and values. favoritism

"Worst job I've ever had in my life"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working at this ridiculous store

Cons

Anyone who is already in a management position is deathly afraid of any competition for their job, and therefore make sure any promising candidates are beaten down until they leave.

Advice to Management

Great job selling out to the big guys at Kroger... shows what Harris Teeter is really all about these days...

8. "Terrible"

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Cary, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since our customers are mostly middle-high class, the abuse we receive from them is less frontal assault and more passive aggressive. 10% off HT brand items, not including Fresh Foods. Certain free items every month. Current department manager willing to work with our schedules.

Cons

The customers demand a certain level of service and we cannot say no to them. They throw a tantrum and they are rewarded with apologies and free stuff. The signs displaying what is available for sale are pointless because they can ask for any substitutions or price reductions they want and we have to give it to them.

Been here for two years and I have seen at least 10 people quit or transfer to get away from this store. Co-managers and store managers demand things from us that we can't possibly accomplish with only 1 or 2 people and they are rarely willing to help. Being scheduled to close usually means leaving between 11pm and 1am even though on the schedule until 10.

I recently went down to part time because playing manager in the deli for most of the day on weekends, every weekend was getting to be too much. New associates are not trained and therefore I spend most of my time training them and trying to help customers and run the deli. Since going down to part time several months ago, I lost benefits and took a decrease in pay yet I have only had one week that I have been scheduled part time hours. I'm a full-time employee minus the benefits and the pay.

Advice to Management

Hire people who can handle the deli and are willing to learn, hire someone who can teach them, staff the department so we can have time to train and so the current employees aren't overworked, do what you say you're going to do. If you take someone's benefits and pay, follow through and make sure that person gets part time hours. Compliment your employees, positive reinforcement rather than training your managers not to praise their employees.

9. "Think twice...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is very good, Benefits are ok.

Cons

-Work/Life balance is off....All work no life
    -You will never be appreciated your what you do
    -you will never hear positive remarks from upper management... Including the store manager.
    -Peoples lives do not matter to the company, what matters is the next sale.
    -Hourlys more than likely will never get a lunch, labor budget is too tight to allow that. Forget your breaks too!
    -You will work every holiday, every weekend, and every day that is important to you.
    -Work load per employee is through the roof. Good luck ever getting all of your work done.
    -Corporate managements' job is to come into the store and make you feel like you are terrible at your job, like I said earlier... Nothing positive will ever come from their mouth.
    -Walmart treats time off from work better. I worked for them years ago too. They actually are doing well on the work/life balance.
    -Everyone is out to get each other. Managements only interest is to further their own career.... Not yours.
    -I could go on.... But that would be redundent. You get the picture.

Advice to Management

-Positivity goes a long way. Negativity just makes people want to leave the company and run screaming!
    -Look to further someone else's career before your own. You will be furthered in your career by doing so.
    -Make sure that there is enough labor in each store so the people that are actually making the company money can at least take a lunch.
    -Do the opposite of everything in the Cons section.

"Would NOT recommend for long term."

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively nice employees to work with.

Work isn't hard to grasp -- it's strenuous and tedious, but it's very simple and easy work.

Nice profit sharing checks twice a year.

Employee thrown get together/parties for the holidays.

10% discount on HT products

Cons

The way internal conflict is handled is piss-poor and degrading. It's always down to he-said-she-said prepubescent drama instead of legitimized facts that are prevalent. that says more about management than the company..

Not always very flexible with availability -- I started out asking to work every other sunday for religious reasons -- and slowly was made to work every sunday for months after being trained. Then when brought to attention i was made to look like I was at fault for not speaking up or being unfair.

Horrible pay rate. Other companies pay way more to do the same exact job.

Management is full of liars. They promise a raise and never give it to you. Then they write you up for reasons that aren't your fault.

Customers treat you like complete TRASH. And even when they're wrong by a landslide, management doesn't care because the customer is always right. So you either have to sit on your hands and shut up and take it -- or speak up in which case you get reprimanded for not having good customer service or treating the customer as though they are always right.

management hands out free things to customers just because.. doesn't matter how much blood, sweat, or tears goes into the labor it takes to make them those things or get it for them -- it's free. If I had a customer eat a whole rack of hot ribs, return it and say it fell on the ground or it was gross, they would get a second one free plus their money back. That money comes out of our profit sharing checks.

You never really leave the time you're scheduled to leave -- it's usually anywhere between 20-45 minutes and clean up is very rushed.

very very short staffed. Makes closing duties very hard to accomplish in a reasonable time frame

Low raises.

Not many chances to move up in the company or move departments unless you grovel and beg for months and even then it's not promised.

very emotionally taxing. I've gone home several times in tears.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with availability..

Raise the pay rate. We do a hell of a lot of work to be paid as little as we are. I've worked for Harris Teeter for three years and i've only gotten two twenty-five cent raises. That's disgusting.

Be more open and honest individuals. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Be more understanding. sometimes the customer is flat out wrong and we want you to have OUR backs. I personally don't feel like management or Harris Teeter as a whole has their associates backs. It's all about money. That's why our competition like Lowe's and Publix will dominate and do better. They treat their employees better.

Writing someone up for insubordination because they begged you to do their job when you refused to let them (instead having them do your own job) and then threatening to write them up because they do your job (and not their own) isn't fair. Treat your employees with the same kind of fairness you expect them to treat you with.

Stop handing out so much free food just because you think that's the quickest way to shut a complaining customer up. If someone complains -- your automatic response shouldn't be "well here's this for free" because at that point you're not solving the issue, you're just covering it up for free and creating more problems.

HIRE MORE PEOPLE.
    two people aren't enough to close an entire deli department on the busiest days of the week.

Work more night shifts... I hardly EVER see a manager in my department anymore working the schedule they're supposed to. We should have a manager work every night until 7pm, but we don't. Contrary to popular belief, we actually NEED a closing manager in our department.

Showing 61 of 1,626 reviews