Harris Teeter Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

2.0
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Bonus Checks were nice to look forward too (in 105 reviews)

• Plus they have twice yearly profit sharing (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 75 reviews)

• Poor Management as well as inflexibility of hours for part time workers (in 68 reviews)

1. "Neglecting employees for customer service"

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Associate in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Associate in Boone, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Massively empowered to make the shopping experience awesome for your customers
    -Deli/Bakery has a variety of different tasks, so the job isn't so repetitive
    -Pay is decent

Cons

-Management can be extraordinarily rude toward employees
    -"The Customer is always right" mentality runs rampant, leading to obscenely entitled customers who will complain about anything
    -Deli/Bakery is definitely a tough position
    -Very high turnover
    -Basically no benefits
    -Disgustingly inconsistent schedule week-by-week
    -Employees are fairly disrespected by both management and customers

One final note- I applied for full-time status 4-5 months ago and was told I had been given it. Since then I've been working 40hr/wk and expecting the benefits (haha, right) of a full-timer. As it turns out, my application was only sent in about two weeks ago. I guess the store manager was using it as a drink coaster or something until then.

Advice to Management

Realise that the employees are doing all they can (if they, in fact, are), and instead of berating them, do what you can to help them be the best they can be. Fix broken equipment. Listen to scheduling requests. Take HR stuff seriously (this is a huge one). Give back to employees for pouring their hearts into the job. Make them feel actually appreciated- the customers sure won't do that.

2. "Poor Management"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Concord, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with
    Great Interactions with customers

Cons

Poor leadership & management
    Poor Pay
    Long hours

Advice to Management

Pay your employees proper pay

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kannapolis, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kannapolis, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay increase every year by 50 cents

Cons

Management is always rotating out. Leads to a frequent rotation of good and bad managers and managing styles.

4. "Decent Wages vs. Quality of Life"

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first thing I was told upon hearing about Harris Teeter is how well they pay their employees. Admittedly, this was the only thing that drew me to the company, and I was not disappointed - for someone with absolutely no experience they hired me on to work in the Fresh Foods department at $9.00 an hour, which was bumped up almost two dollars after six months when I was made full time. Being paid on a weekly basis is also a big plus. If you show the right initiative and ability, they will quickly offer you the opportunity to become a BBT (trainee department manager) so there is a great opportunity for career advancement. For those who like a quick-paced job, there is certainly always something to do in Fresh Foods. The twice annual profit sharing bonus check is also something everyone looks forward to, and it is roughly equivalent to an average weekly paycheck.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between store management, department management, and employees, and this seems to be a common theme throughout the company. Tensions often run high given the stressful nature of focusing both on customer service and food preparation, so there is a commonly hostile work environment. There is also the issue of company policy focusing so closely on customer satisfaction that it sacrifices the quality of the work experience for many people that I know. These are the main issues that I, and many others, have with the company, and why I find the job to be a major source of stress. Scheduling is also a common issue, as management will find loopholes in laws that make it possible for people to work fifteen, sixteen hours in a day or back-to-back closing and opening shifts. (For example: One of our coworkers frequently closes at 10:30 but comes back at 6 in the morning to open, when in actuality you are supposed to have 8 hours between shifts.) The only reason many people choose to stay is because Harris Teeter offers high pay for the level of experience/skill necessary for the job. It's almost like they purposefully rope you in with the promise of a decent paycheck in return for eight hours of migraines.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. When multiple employees take issue with the same thing, there is likely actually a problem that needs to be solved.

5. "An Okay job"

Former Employee - Scan Coordinator/Vendor Receiver in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Scan Coordinator/Vendor Receiver in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Depending on what store you are in and store manager, it can be great.

Cons

-Cold Stores
    -Low Pay, unless you are in management
    -Possible 3 hour shifts (waste of time to go into work)
    -On Call(when you are off but you are "On Call", if the store needs you to come in that day, you have to or a write up)

Advice to Management

Be more open-minded, understanding and knowledgeable.

"Horrible pay..not good for long term"

Current Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter (More than a year)

Pros

10%discount on ht items. A few random free items a month. Itll keep you afloat for now. Can be flexible

Cons

Bad pay but average for a smaller store. Just embarrassing to work at a grocery store but not be a manager .Horrible rude customers who are needy 'in a hurry all the time' and will glare at you while your helping the person in front of them an act like your taking to long...ogg gawd they can be soo nasty and try to scam you and demand free stuff!!

Advice to Management

Just listen to our basic needs and at least act like you care. Have our back not the nasty scamming 'customers'

7. "Decent Pay, Few Hours, Good First Job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Holly Springs, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Holly Springs, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

gained good customer service experience

Cons

will spread hours evenly between cashiers, but they often have a surplus so you won't work very many hours

Advice to Management

only hire enough people, it's unfair to those who needs these jobs to only be working 5 hours once or twice a week, if they have full availability

"Cashier & UScan Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful customers and management works with you regarding your schedule.

Cons

Low pay. Too many "bosses". Young and inexperienced Customer Service Clerks can be terribly rude (some are on power-trips) and make poor decisions without thinking through consequences. Horrible lack of leadership on most levels. Next-to-no communication from management unless you do something wrong. No on-going training.

Advice to Management

L E A D E R S H I P training is desperately needed for ALL positions from Clerks to Store Managers. Stop trying to "manage" people - you need to LEAD them.

"Dont Fall Captive"

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to shop and be the first to see the deals

Cons

The management and employees are overworked by labor being cut and quality employees picking up slack for unqualified employees that are never held accountable. The bonus structure is terrible if existent in most stores and you will have very little success unless you are part of the good ol' boys grocery club.

Advice to Management

Don't fall captive to thinking HT is all that is out there.

"Disorganized and unaccountable management"

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Boone, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual bonus check
    Easy to get time off approved
    flexible scheduling

Cons

Unclear directions
    "power tripping" managers