Harris Teeter Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

Harris Teeter North Carolina Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

North Carolina

Pros
Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 70 reviews)

• Inconsistent hours busy store too many part time employees (in 61 reviews)

1. "cake decorator"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Harris Teeter has great benifits

Cons

harris teeter doesn't like to give raises

2. "Good first job, but not a good long term job."

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Waxhaw, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Waxhaw, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, shifts aren't too long

Cons

Unreasonable management, low pay for tasks performed, 13 day notice for time off

Advice to Management

Become more reasonable and don't panic when the store gets busy

3. "No hours, no doctor appointments allowed, and no breaks."

Former Employee - Cashier in New Bern, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in New Bern, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Profit Sharing Check

There really isn't any other pro besides that stupid check every 6 months. I honestly can't think of any.

Cons

-Denied my doctor's appointments
    -Refused to work with my availability
    -Kept me late on school nights (I'm a high school senior)
    -Uniforms cost $50+ adding in jackets and pants
    -Not allowed to leave my register to go to the bathroom
    -No water allowed despite heat
    -Sometimes did not get 15 minute or 30 minute lunch break

Advice to Management

You may want to retrain the entire customer service and managers because they lack proper management skills and did not work with their employees to keep them happy and more than willing to work.

5. "It's great if you can put up with the crap"

Current Employee - Clerk in Holly Springs, NC
    Current Employee - Clerk in Holly Springs, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job that will help pay the bills.

Cons

The management is so critical of and disconnected with their employees. They berate and complain about the hourly employees so much that they drive the minions to quit in a few months. It is still a "good old boys" club where, despite what you might hear, there is little room for promotion. Once you're in the clique, it is impossible to get fired even if you show up drunk on the job. Several times I requested to go into different training programs, and nothing has happened. They change people's hours from day to day--sometimes while you're at work--so you can never plan anything.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your lower level employees are the key to success. If you focus on the employees and not the customers or profits, the company will prosper. Your failure to treat employees with dignity and respect is deplorable. The company will still function very effectively without managers.

6. "Good people and company ethics, bad pay"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at my Harris Teeter were nothing but accommodating, friendly, flexible, and promoted a strong sense of confidence and worth in their employees.

Cons

The pay is awful for those not in executive positions. Hours are very irregular for those on the store floors.

Advice to Management

Pay more.

7. "Produce clerk"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and employee discount and bonuses. Luckily our corporate visits are only for show. I enjoy working produce. Store manager and produce dept manager are awesome.

Cons

The chance of being promoted from within is nonexistent. There is no chance of pay raises unless you are hired off the street into management positions. Definitely some empty promises from the district management level.

Advice to Management

Notice and give accolades to your employees. We are all working for the almighty dollar for ourselves, not you.

8. "Corporate Office needs to travel into 21st Century"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Matthews, NC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Matthews, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, great bonus structure, corporate cafeteria that serves breakfast and lunch.

Cons

The building and facilities are outdated. I believe that they finally created a maternity parking space in 2016. People are burnt out and there's not much job growth. I never witnessed any corporate culture events, communications, or efforts. The entire business seems to revolve around what's on the front page of the antiquated paper circular. It's very odd. Departments are terribly disjointed and many groups work in "silos". There are many duplicated efforts across the corporate office because there's little communication and nobody knows what anyone else is doing. Most of leadership is older white men, and I noticed a significant lack of diversity in my time there.

The benefits are pretty bad. You get 3 weeks vacation but NO HOLIDAYS OFF - so you end up using one whole week just for holidays. I had health insurance through my contract company but always heard bad things about the health insurance plan at Harris Teeter.

One other thing I observed was that when I put in my two weeks notice, there was never an exit interview or an opportunity to share information or feedback. I think that is a lost opportunity and a con.

Advice to Management

Hire an efficiency consulting firm to look at how the corporate level is operating - and listen to their recommendations. Change is not a bad thing.

Also, the new generation of workers has different priorities, needs, and ideas than the baby boomers. Listen to them and adjust, and they will likely stay with your company.

9. "Working Here is OK"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people you get to work with are cool, and if you get a great team in your department you don't mind how unfulfilling the actual work is.

Cons

As a full time employee I am making roughly enough to land me right at the national poverty level. Also, the company has a lot of managers that are overbearing and just plain mean. If you end up at a store that is not like that, then that's great!

Advice to Management

I recognize your jobs are probably phenomenally stressful, but that is no reason to not be civil to your lower-ranked employees. A pleasant-ish work environment really helps keep turnover to a reasonable level and makes everyone more cooperative in general.

10. "Customer Service- Cashier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discounts for employees and 401k...!

Cons

Employee hourly salary could be better like Publix $12 an hour instead if $9

Advice to Management

Some could be a little more friendly but, I love the Customer Service Manager!!

11. "Harris Teeter Review"

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, Harris Teeter is a great place to be. We are encouraged to treat every one of our guests as a part of our family, and in turn they show us the same respect. The management--at least at my store--is top-notch, often working at the ground level rather than passing orders from on high, meaning they know what's going on and how their decisions affect us. Overall, a very positive experience.

Cons

The only real cons are those that you'd see in most retail positions; most of the work is part-time, and hours fluctuate depending on the time of the year. Around the holidays you'll be drowning in work, but otherwise the hours start to dwindle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, keep communicating with your employees, and keep striving to keep both employees and customers happy.

Showing 511 of 1,376 reviews