Harris Teeter Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • They pay really well and have good bonus checks (in 99 reviews)

• if you love customer service, you will love this job (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 71 reviews)

• Inconsistent hours busy store too many part time employees (in 61 reviews)

1. "Glad to leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time

Pros

The Benefits & Discounts were a nice plus

Cons

As a cashier, I didn't expect to do bagger work. For example cashiers often cleaned bathrooms, took out the trash, brought in carts, swept the floors. It was very unorganized. When I first started taking the tests I would call the store and ask when to come in next, after I passed my tests I called back the next day to know when I should start and the manager and I picked a time; I came into work on time and all of the customer service managers started accusing me of being late. They put me on the schedule without my knowledge. They never even showed me how to look at the schedule or where it was. Managers also wrote me up for calling in sick when I was under 18.

Advice to Management

Be more organized
    Touch base with management

2. "Harris Teeter, Kernersville store is managed by a bunch of bullies. If you're not in their clique ....watch out"

Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Kernersville, NC
    Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly customers. Clean store. Co Workers willing to swap shifts when needed

Cons

Two faced managers. Managers have Condescending attitude towards the regular staff. Managers seem to enjoy making people miserable.

Advice to Management

Cut out the high school drama, bs, and the store will be more successful. Give people a regular schedule so they can have a life outside of Harris Teeter.

3. "just no"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ten percent discount on harris teeter products

Cons

the management is terrible, they force you to stay late even if you have something to do, 15 minute break every 6 hours, etc

4. "Very poor training for management."

Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a monthly meal give away.
    They also give a 10% discount on their private label.

Cons

I entered there BBT train as a Grocery manager. I was very opened to the program thinking that it would help me grow with my over 20 years experience. In to a better manager. The truth it was very poorly ran and the training was more labor in the store. The management did not care that nothing was be showed to me how to do the basic parts of job. If it was not for the fact that I had work so long in the business I would had flopped.
    At first I wonder why they hired so many BBT management . I UNDERSTAND now. They all leave.
    If your looking for a great place to work and to move up do not come to Harris Teeter. You will learn it not what they say it is.

Advice to Management

Put true training people in charge of the day today training. Guaranteed you will have very little chance of losing people.

5. "It's great if you can put up with the crap"

Current Employee - Clerk in Holly Springs, NC
    Current Employee - Clerk in Holly Springs, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job that will help pay the bills.

Cons

The management is so critical of and disconnected with their employees. They berate and complain about the hourly employees so much that they drive the minions to quit in a few months. It is still a "good old boys" club where, despite what you might hear, there is little room for promotion. Once you're in the clique, it is impossible to get fired even if you show up drunk on the job. Several times I requested to go into different training programs, and nothing has happened. They change people's hours from day to day--sometimes while you're at work--so you can never plan anything.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your lower level employees are the key to success. If you focus on the employees and not the customers or profits, the company will prosper. Your failure to treat employees with dignity and respect is deplorable. The company will still function very effectively without managers.

6. "Slippery Freezers"

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Within a few months of working, you get full-time employment and benefits. Every employee of Harris Teeter gets a profit-sharing check bi-annually as a way of saying "Thanks for helping us make money, you deserve some of it, too!" They're a very customer-oriented company. I've never seen a place so focused on the ultimate customer experience.

Cons

At my store in particular, the deli/bakery department manager was pretty terrible. The deli/bakery was always understaffed, so anyone working at the bread kiosk was basically tethered there with no one to cover for them if they needed to use the bathroom, go on break, or get more bread from the freezers to bake. One day, I was supposed to be off and home at 3pm, but didn't leave until 4:30 because I had to wait for the department manager to get back, then I got written up for not taking a lunch that I shouldn't have had to take had I been able to leave at 3 like I was supposed to. (Oh yeah, you get written up for not taking a lunch break if you're working 6.5 hours that day. But it's technically 6 hours since you're not getting paid for that other half hour you were scheduled for.)

I was pregnant during my time there, and as part of my job at the bread kiosk, I had to go into those big ol' freezers and get bread (which is hard to do when the whole deli/bakery department is understaffed, so you have to wait until someone's free to either cover the kiosk for you, or go to the back in your place and get you bread. That can take up to an hour. I've been in trouble and yelled at for not having bread when I physically cannot leave the kiosk because everyone else is too busy with their jobs to get me bread or cover me.) This wouldn't be a problem if there hadn't been huge ice patches on the floor (the slip-resistant shoes you get as part of your uniform for the deli department that you pay for don't work on ice) and boxes that are thrown all across the place, hazardously, and boxes that weigh about 35 pounds on the top shelf (6 feet up and I personally am a little over 5 feet tall), so of course I'm concerned about the safety of my baby. I voice my concerns to the department manager who could care less.

TL;DR
    They had a pregnant lady go into a freezer where she could possibly fall and lose her baby. 0/10 would work there again.

7. "Nope."

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager, Dairy/Frozen in Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager, Dairy/Frozen in Apex, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you. Not much, but they do pay you.

The only retail company I've seen that requires employees to take lunch breaks.

Cons

Everything. Literally everything. The work is mindless and unfulfilling. The managers are unhelpful and largely ignorant of their own staff. Their training program is full of completely useless information, and the tests you have to take ask about things that are never brought up on training.

Go work for Publix.

Advice to Management

Learn how to talk to people. Actually pay attention, and at least pretend like you care.

8. "Not for adults"

Former Employee - Grocery Stocking Clerk in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocking Clerk in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts on store items and.....

Cons

My first night working there my manager is telling one of my coworkers that I may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Find managers that look to help their clerks grow and advance within the company.

9. "Never again"

Former Employee - Assistant Meat Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Meat Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very busy
    Never boring
    Move up fast

Cons

Management
    No help
    Not considerate to the people that work hard
    Long hours and no break
    No personal life to work life balance

Advice to Management

Do your job stop working your associates who actually do there jobs like slaves. Listen to your department managers when they say they need more associates. Stop belittling your employees. Threatening people's jobs constantly kills the morale. Corporate needs to pay attention to all there stores work conditions.

10. "Very awful management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good hours and welcoming coworkers

Cons

awful pay, no business models and lousy coworkers.

Showing 121 of 1,405 reviews