Harris Teeter Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

1,400 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • They pay really well and have good bonus checks (in 99 reviews)

• if you love customer service, you will love this job (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 71 reviews)

• Inconsistent hours busy store too many part time employees (in 61 reviews)

1. "Harris Teeter - Great place to work, but you have to be among the best in your field to make it here."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II in Matthews, NC

Pros

* The pay is great. They hire the best and pay accordingly.
    * The people are warm, helpful, and in general, very good human beings.
    * Senior management is VERY good, has grown this company trenendously, created large profits, and has the company on track for more of the same over the long term.

Cons

* The industry is very competitive, and if you aren't among the best in your field, you won't hack it here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work!

2. "The grass is greener at Harris Teeter because we water ours daily!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC

Pros

Growing company that's not afraid to promote qualified candidates and/or demote unqualified candidates. Do a great job and you'll have a great job for as long as you like. Harris Teeter is a great place to work and grow in an upscale grocery market, which withstands all economic downfall prevailing with bottom line profits. That means, when industry prices go up and profits go down :Harris Teeter has stability in all markets in which they operate. Strong store sales and great industry waste percent ensures our success.

Cons

If you're expecting to have bankers hours, Harris Teeter is not the career for you. Retail does not stop unless it's Christmas. So be ready to work.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of customer service, VIC ads and the payroll it takes to achieve our goals.

3. "Overall, I'm happy where I work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC

Pros

I love the people that I work with. Sure, there are a few that I could do without, but overall, I have a great time at work. We're always joking and pulling pranks on each other.
    I'm sure our pay and benefits are above our competitors. I make $8.20 an hour (after 1 year - I started as a cashier at $7) and get to take off pretty much whenever I want as long as my manager approves it. The 401k is a definite plus because I know that it is important to start saving as soon as possible. I was not expecting a grocery store to offer things like medical insurance and retirement plans and I have to say that I am impressed. They are always very flexible with scheduling, especially during the school year. Usually at the beginning of the semester my manager will ask me what my availability is and whatever days I need off.

Cons

It seems like a common problem that store managers are not the most fun to work with. I completely agree. 2 out of our 3 are amazing and I really appreciate and respect them. However, the other manager is very strict and has a sort of "better than thou" attitude.
    "On call" - the two words I hate. I am a person who likes to have a planned schedule as far as work goes. I dread being on call because I never know if I will have to go in or not. It has happened in the past that an employee will call in to see if their help is needed and they are told that they do not need to work, but a few hours later are called in to work. This is a major kill joy. If this ever happens to me, I fully intend to tell them that I am no longer available to work, and that I called in at my assigned time earlier in the day. While this may not be a straight shot to a promotion, it is completely unfair in my eyes.
    Every once in a while the store managers will get it in their heads that it is vital to cut hours. I understand that they need to cut costs and such, but leaving each department with barely enough people to function and expecting them to do an above and beyond job is pushing the envelope.

Advice to Management

Give respect and you will get respect. Treat everyone fairly and how you would like to be treated in return. Allow everyone a little breathing room and personal space - we're not robots and we don't like to have someone constantly looking over our shoulder to see if we're doing everything correctly. If we need your help/input, we will ask for it. Schedule who you need to schedule - not just enough to survive, but enough to comfortably manage. If need be, jump in and help out - don't walk away when you see the situation degrading. If that means the store manager has on a vest and is getting carts, then that's what needs to be done to keep the operation running smoothly.

4. "A wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC

Pros

bonus twice a year
    flexible hours
    nice co workers
    respectful management
    good pay

Cons

some play favorites
    some lazy employees bring extra work for others

Advice to Management

na

5. "Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Better pay, great programs in place to get trainin.g for promotion, good benefits, bonuses and 401K, good system to be in.

Cons

Have to be approved by manager over you to enter the management program, some areas have department managers who plan on staying in that position, which means you will probably have to move to another area or change departments to get promoted. When posting for a promotion, you are posting at other stores, so managers who don't really know your skills will determine if they want to hire you or someone else as a department manager at their store.

Advice to Management

Great job! Best company I have worked for so far in my life! My advice would be to let people with college degrees in business and work experience in grocery retail go straight to MDP program.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Pros

good pay, flexible hours, nice management

Cons

not always able to get the number of hours you need

Advice to Management

none

"A growing company offering very competitive pay with fair and consistent management."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC

Pros

Intently involved senior management, great compensation, above average benefits, growing company, customer oriented, high end retailer, fair and balanced process concerning promotions

Cons

Harris Teeter is overall a great company however it is retail management and it is expected for management to work 60 plus hours a week.

Advice to Management

We need to become more competitive with hourly pay to secure the top talent in the areas that we operate.

"Great...it pays the bills"

Current Employee - Assistant Produce Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Produce Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

It's close to home...the people at work, work well together.

Cons

In the five years that I have worked with the company the only downside I would have personally would be getting up at 2 a.m to down stack a truck that comes in at 3 a.m

Advice to Management

...

"excellent company with outstanding management team"

Current Employee - Lead in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Lead in Greensboro, NC

Pros

advancment opportunity
    competitive salary
    great management team
    good benefits

Cons

not enought vacation time
    insurance could be lower

10. "Harris Teeter is an awesome company to work for and they take care of their Associates!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Hampstead, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Hampstead, NC

Pros

Harris Teeter really takes pride in the overall operation of their stores, the professional image they portray and their associates. They are one of the few companies that realize their associates are what make up the company and they really take care of them. They offer competetive pay, health benefits for both part-time and full-time employees, oppotunities for advancement, Bonus Checks twice per year, 401-K Plan, Employee discounts and so much more! They even had an employee appreciation day for us and the Store manager cooked steaks and potatos for us, while other managers washed our cars for us. Hands down, this is the best employer I've ever had. If you are willing to put a little hard work and dedication into your job, no matter what your position.. it will pay off in the end. As their jingle says "It's my Harris Teeter!"

Cons

Its is a public retail job, so therefore you have to work at the demands of the public. If you work at a beach store, it gets incredibly busy in the summertime and then in the winter when things slow down, your hours get cut. Dealing with angry or disgruntled customers can sometimes test your patience (We rarely have angry customers).

Advice to Management

The management staff does a great job at what they do!

Showing 1,400 of 1,405 reviews