Harris Teeter Reviews | Glassdoor

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

1,341 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Changed customer service managers out too much (in 69 reviews)

• Inconsistent hours busy store too many part time employees (in 61 reviews)

"Want to be treated poorly? Work for Harris Teeter"

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Charlotte, NC

Pros

They probably pay better than other local grocers. There are a lot of stores around so you can move every six months to another locale if not happy where you are at. They offer nice employee discounts, and pretty good benefits, although, after paying for all the benefits, your paycheck is left with very litte. Truly, it is difficult to come up with good reasons to work there. I needed a job to feed my family and that is the sole reason I worked there. It was certainly not because I felt valued as an employee; I felt used and abused.

Cons

Employees are treated very poorly. They are expected to give outstanding customer service to customers who are arrogant, rude and nasty while the managers treat the employees like worthless dung. You are never complimented for a job well done. In fact, I was told that managers were told in training not to compliment, because if you think you are doing a good job you will want more money! If a customer complains about you management will take their word over yours. I believe HT would be wise to learn some lessons from Wegmans in New York about how to treat employees. Overall it was the worst employment experience of my careeer. I am so happy to have moved elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You need to learn the Golden Rule then practice it. Hire store managers who actually have education and training in human relations.

"Harris Teeter is a dishonest company"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

They pay on average at or better than most grocery chains

Cons

Absolutely no communication from management. It is not a team enviorment and
    everybody is in it for themselves. Management trainning does not translate from
    the trainning classes to the store and all theupper store management cares about isif they
    look bad or specific work pertaining to training was completed. They do not care if you
    actually learn anything. If you have not figured out you need to cheat during trainning
    to succeed you won't make it here, and don't go to a co-mgr for help, because it got me
    demoted because they most likely know less than you.

Advice to Management

You really need to overhaul your trainning program because after you get into the
    store your never get feedback about what you have learned or even time to work on
    it on your own. In my case even the Store Manager did not know enough of the material
    I needed to know at the end of trainning, and I was told that I needed to go to another
    store so a manager I have never met could "make sure" I pass my final test.

"Wish it was just a nightmare!!"

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Germantown, MD

Pros

Slightly higher starting pay, some extra from profit sharing (though usually just a few hundred twice a year), 401k i guess, health & dental I suppose

Cons

raises are nothing to excited about........usually less than 50 cents per year; profit sharing isn't much better (i'd rather just get paid more); we almost never have enough people in the deli, and if somebody calls out, it's rare for us to call someone else in;you try to make a suggestion to upper store management and they pretty much treat you like dirt, trying to give your two cents? don't bother cause they don't want to hear it. I've lost count of how many anxiety attacks I've had since I started working for Harris Teeter, and it's only been about 3 years. I'm afraid to leave my house on my day off, and have changed the ring on my cell for when ht calls to silent.

Advice to Management

your customers are the ones below you on the corporate ladder.........I'm on the first step, so what I have to take care are the ones holding the ladder (customers), I believe that the best way to lead is by serving, but all I see is a big CEO with a whip. Everyday I wish I could quit. If I quit then I won't have a job. If I don't have a job, then I won't have money. If I don't have money, then I can't pay my bills. I don't even know if I have friends anymore. This is my work. This is my nightmare. Somebody kill me please!

"Stay away from Harris Teeter"

Current Employee - Management in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management in Washington, DC

Pros

HT does have a great program that gives incentives back to the associate, like $5.00 off their purchase or free or reduced cost on certain merchandise each month.

Cons

Lack of praise dominates Harris Teeter. Rarely, and I truely mean once in a blue moon is an associate or management complimented on a job well done. If and when a compliment is given, it is often a back handed slap meaning that you got the job done, but the next time you can do better. Bonuses do not come close to what was promised when interviewing with the company. Associates are under constant verbal treat of termination or demotion if goals are not met or exceeded. Support from Senior Staff is lacking direction with fragmented departments often sending conflicting or confusing information to store level. Multiple programs are constantly being introduced at store level (designed to improve conditions or productivity), however, this only leads to management and staff working to keep up on the demands of the programs rather then the needs of their customers. Management is told to stay on the floor but are hard pressed to do so due to the volume of information demanded by the mutiple programs. Senior management either refuses to believe the amount of time it takes to walk through every detail of these "time saving" programs. Ask any associate what it means by "The Plane is Arriving" or "A store walk is taking place with Senior Management " . They all know that panic takes place. Regular business of taking care of our customers stops. Everyone from Store Management down begins putting on a concealed face in their departments, hiding flaws and encroching on Over-Time due to the extra hours needed to put on a quick face lift. Money well spent? Hardly. And the stress placed on everyone is terrible.

Advice to Management

Praise your group. Step away from treats. Let your team run their locations with balance so that people want to come to work insead of dreading the idea of spending time their everyday. Harris Teeter is not well liked amoung its associates in the Northern Division. If asked, many, fearing their jobs will not tell the truth, but amoung themselves, the truth of incredable dissatisfaction is prominent. This is from Store Managers down to Front Service Personel.

"No Life, No Respect, Anxiety Driven Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Leesburg, VA

Pros

The pay is very good compared to other companies with similar jobs.

Cons

This is the worst company I have ever had to opportunity to work for. Sure the pay is good, however, the impact it has on your personal life is not worth it. Often, senior management talks with two mouths, one saying what should be done, but looking the other way, to get things done.
    An example is their policy for working off the clock. No one is to work off the clock accourding to Harris Teeter poicy. However, taking work home (needing to complete a constant deludge of reports) is overlooked. The constant phone calls from management or employees needing help or questions needing answered, is overlooked. Another example is their so called training program. It is policy that no one help associates work on these on line tests that are designed to help you understand your job. However, you are pressured by senior staff (from the local home office down through store management to get the testing done. It is common practice that someone check over answers or sit with an associate while their test is taking place. And as for testing, there are so many test and repeating tests, it is almost impossible to keep up without giving or getting assistance.

Bonuses are a joke. When you are in the hiring process, they paint a picture of huge bonuses. What they don't discuss is the constant fines and audits that take place which levy heavily against your bonus potential. You would expect this as a way to measure performance, however, the tasks and expectations expected are unoptainable. And in the last year, expectations, pressure and labor constraints have gotten worse.

Lastly, an occasional pat on the back for a job well done would be nice. I think it must be policy by Senior Management to refrain from complimenting their associates. If a job is completed, no matter how well you had completed it, you are only doing your job. In fact, it is often followed by raising the bar higher. Harris Teeter has caused me and my family stress and anxiety that is hard to imagine. That is why I had to leave. I am now working for a company that I enjoy going to work for everyday. Thanks Harris Teeter for showing me what not to do with my associates and what to look for in companys when searching for a job.

Advice to Management

You need to look at the your own practices, and follow up policies without looking the other way when it benefits you. Let people know when they have done a great job once in a while. Senior Plane visits do not help operations. It only causes anxiety, overtime and continued stress, fearing what will be said or found. Never is a visit good. As it is often said by Management at Harris Teeter, "if nothing is said, that's a good thing. If you hear something, it is because a situation or problem has been found and that is bad." It is so sad that the philosophy of management concentraits on problems or mistakes rather then highlight good performance while helping find solutions for problems found. Wake up! Haven't you seen enough good, competent associates leave? Why do you think your retention rate is so low?

"WORST ENVIRONMENT I EVER WORKED IN"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Leesburg, VA

Pros

Harris Teeter is a great place to shop. The stores are clean. Employees get occasional discounts with purchase of certain items.

Cons

Harris Teeter does not give department management the support needed to do their jobs. Their saying is, "We give you the tools, you have to use them". This would be great if it were true. Their idea of "tools" is watching videos and attending occasional meetings with the Front End Specialist. These meetings amount to no more than reading over memos and having lunch. When I asked for guidance on specific issues I never got feedback. I don't think they knew what to do either. One week you're told that you better spend some time getting your paperwork in order (schedules, audits, reviews, etc). The next week you're told that you better not be caught in the office, because you're supposed to be on the sales floor.

Positive feedback is not given. You only hear something when it's about what you need to improve. They try to sound like they care about the associates, but in reality it is only lip service. Managers are expected to manage by fear. I was told on many occasions to tell associates that they could leave if they didn't like the way something was handled. The expectations are unrealistic. I spent more time trying to make sure all the i's were dotted and the t's were crossed for audits than providing service to my customers. You are expected to post for any CSM position that is open, but they already know who they're putting in a store. Store Managers have to go through the motions of interviewing, but they don't even get the final say on who they get.

This is the worst environment I have ever worked in. It's a shame, because the stores are very nice. Their commitment to customer service sounds great on paper, but the way they try to achieve it is severely lacking. I've had a few great store managers, but most of them leave. They're as frustrated and beaten down as the rest of us. Yes, the money is good, but it's not worth it in the end. I could go on and on, but time and space does not permit. Just be glad you found this web site so you could be warned in advance. I wish I had.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your people. I think the company as a whole has good intentions. The management on the Corporate and Divisional level in Northern Virginia are the ones who are creating this toxic environment. At least I hope that's the case. I would hate to think that the entire company is like this. Re-evaluate the audit process. Simplify the process so your associates can take care of customers instead of taking care of your paperwork.

"working here sucks!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mount Pleasant, SC

Pros

Can't think of any, except that it's an easy job to get because I'm sure the turnover is huge, and they need a large pool of workers to fill in the gaps.

Cons

Low pay compared to similar jobs for other companies. Not enough hours. Too many rules and regulations that the old timers or manager favorites don't have to adhere to. Write-ups for trivial things and being made to feel that you you are on trial everyday you come to work. At 20 hrs a week for a year you'll be lucky to make 8 or 9 thousand dollars!

Advice to Management

Get some decent trainers. When you get on the floor you discover that the instruction books aren't accurate so you try to learn from individuals who don't know how to communicate or even speak clearly enough to be understood. Most of the employees that have been there for a long time resent new employees and are not eager to help them learn because they feel we are going to cut into their hours or move ahead of them for promotions.

"moral boosting strong arming"

Current Employee - Wage Slave in Holly Springs, NC
    Current Employee - Wage Slave in Holly Springs, NC

Pros

wonderful co-workers
    holiday atmosphere (during the seasons)
    pride in workmanship
    supports school systems via vic-card
    pharmacy is above par
    good meats

Cons

I have worked for 5 yrs at my harris teeter and sadly its management has done nothing but go down hill fast.
    then they wonder why moral is low. then they do their lovely little "verbal" counceling sessions to remind you that if your attitude doesnt change they will have no problems making sure your dismisal will not let you even earn unemployment.
    They tell us to learn our neighborhoods, but they dont give a wit about our input or advice to up sales.
    Nor do they care about the "working Family" when half the family is one of their own employees.

Advice to Management

wow have to laugh at this space,specially since then never even listen to advice let alone this nook of cyber space.
    but here it goes.
    Stop blowing smoke up Mr. Morganthall's bum let him honestly ask his questions when he visits and let US honestly answer him. I had the chance 1 time,and now they make sure I am away or out of the building when he comes any more.

as to hiring,simple stop wasting money on these long winded checks,train them fire them through in less then a month,work them and then get rid of them IF they fail,keeps your filing losses low.
     And MOST importantly, HR needs to be actively staffed in EACH store,not just faded shadows that may visit our store once every 2-3 months.

10. "It's all about the dollar for the upper level management.....almost criminal to get that big bonus."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selbyville, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selbyville, DE

Pros

Mandatory friendliness towards customers creates friendliness towards fellow associates.
    Profit sharing twice a year creates an awareness of keeping waste down and selling products.
    Higher base pay than most grocery stores in the area.
    Promote promotion from within.

Cons

Dismissive and belittling management, mainly store manager.
    Have to jump through hoops to get anything taken care of.
    Very "click" type of people, so if you hang with them or have drinks after work you are in.
    Very little feedback on performance from management.
    Hours or people are cut but same amount of work is expected from remaining employees, so often
    breaks are skipped or they are left standing for 5 hours before any break or lunch is given.

Advice to Management

Try listening to store associates, and not just the ones that you like. I know money is important but so are people and they should come first.

"Go somewhere else"

Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

not very many anymore. a lot of stores so a chance to move around. use to be a caring place.

Cons

They only care about themselves. They don't care about their customers and sure don't care about their employees. They have cut hours down to a minimum and expect the employee's to work twice as hard and give them nothing for it. They start you out at a very low pay rate now and don't give out raises appropriate for the work. They don't recognize people you do anything good or go beyond what they have to do. No overtime allowed but they can afford to send the managers to the Bahama's and give them outrageous bonuses.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people fairy. You can't single people out and try to set your people to fail. Stop blaming and putting down your people. If someone calls out or doesn't show up then get in there and get dirty with the people who actually help pay for those outrageous bonuses and the family get away trips they provide for you.

Showing 1,341 of 1,346 reviews