Harris Williams & Co. Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2020

3.7
Harris Williams & Co. Executive Managing Director Ned Valentine
Ned Valentine
Pros
  • "is a good place for analysts for compensation, deal experience and private equity placement(in 8 reviews)

• "Focused on driving best outcomes for clients, great culture(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "You work long hours given the deal volume that runs through the shop(in 12 reviews)

• "If you plan to work in middle market banking or private equity, HW is a great brand name to have on your resume(in 8 reviews)

1. "awesome"

I have been working at Harris Williams & Co. part-time

Pros

great culture, great team, great

Cons

long hours, long hours, long

Harris Williams & Co.2020-03-05
  2. "OK but expect no work-life balance"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Harris Williams & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Deal experience, senior exposure, comp

Cons

Complete lack of diversity at senior level

Harris Williams & Co.2020-04-30
  3. "Don't join this company as a staff member.... If you do join, be a Banker....."

1.0
    Former Employee - Managerial Staff Position

I worked at Harris Williams & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Since I have to provide a 'pro' I would guess it would be name recognition. They are known through out the M&A community and appear to be doing well....

Cons

Their ability to do well is at a very high cost to the Junior Bankers. Hence the turnover. (Read the reviews) As a staff member you are treated as if you are unimportant by almost all teams unless they need something from you. Then you matter as long as you can get it to them fast. The biggest obstacle sets in when you design a solution and management doesn't fully understand the problem, the intricacies of the design / solution and the downstream effect of not getting it right in the first place. Complicate that with the favoritism (and there is a lot of that here) and things get really dicey. A quick fix 'band aid' proposed by a favorite is more likely to be implemented than a full blown solution proposed. I am not sure if it is truly the time it would take to implement or the source of the solution proposed. But that was my experience... Band aid after band aid.... The robust solutions were placed on hold or outright ignored. The Review process is, for a lack of a better term, "a setup" if you are staff. For example, the selection of your Reviewers is designated by your manager and if you and your manager don't see eye to eye...Your Reviewers will be those who you couldn't get a job done for (regardless of the cause)... You are destined for failure unless you are one of the favorites and don't stir the pot..... HR is almost inaccessible unless they need something and then they take priority over EVERYTHING!!! I tried for the last two years of my time there to sit down with someone in HR to discuss a problem I was having with my Management Team and they ignored me over and over again..... There are a few really great people there. Most of them want to make a difference and care about their coworkers.... but they are in the same boat and just as frustrated because they run into the same issues / lack of understanding when trying to move things forward. I actually belief that if 4 - 5 key people in this company were allowed to do what is needed, the entire organization would benefit tremendously. Again, the problem is, these 4 or 5 people are not in the Executive roles and their Executives don't understand what it would take to move the ball forward.... Instead they want the quick fix...

Continue reading
    Harris Williams & Co.2019-08-05
  4. "Great work life balance for staff (non bankers)"

Current Employee - Execution Assistant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Harris Williams & Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice people, good reputation, great learning opportunities, nice work life balance, great benefits

Cons

fast paced, competitive, small so not as many growth opportunities

Harris Williams & Co.2019-05-28
  5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Harris Williams & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Harris Williams really does have great people and wants everyone to succeed

Cons

I don't have any cons

Harris Williams & Co.2019-05-22
  6. "Long Hours, Generally OK people"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Harris Williams & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good pay, generally above street

Cons

Horrible Hours, difficult culture at times

Harris Williams & Co.2019-04-02
  7. "Great Shop"

I have been working at Harris Williams & Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exit opportunities and senior leadership

Cons

Long hours always in the office

Harris Williams & Co.2019-02-28

"Unless you're a banker, keep looking"

2.0

I have been working at Harris Williams & Co. full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

No real way to move up and the structure of the administrative staff isn't set up for success

Harris Williams & Co.2018-12-20

"Great firm, smart people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Harris Williams & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Focused on driving best outcomes for clients, great culture

Cons

Very face paced culture, which impacts all staff not just bankers. Have to be ok with that

Harris Williams & Co.2018-06-04

"Unless you're a banker, avoid"

2.0

I worked at Harris Williams & Co. full-time

Pros

Complimentary refreshments. Modern offices. Good technology in the way of phones, headsets, laptops, and conference equipment. Occasional free swag. Competitive compensation.

Cons

Harris Williams is maybe a good place for analysts, junior bankers, and the like. But, for those who are not on the banking track, you could not do much worse than Harris Williams. Questionable, borderline unethical, behavior and bullying tactics are standard fare, and any attempt to address with the correct channels, will result in retaliation. Another review from 2017 referenced the disrespect felt if you are not "one of the boys," and that is a great, accurate, and succinct characterization of working for this firm. The leadership style ranged from dignified and professional, to outright bullying. If you are willing to trade that gamble to have an Investment Bank on your resume, than this might be a good place to roll the dice. But in most of the cities in which Harris Williams operates, there are far superior places to go to work each day.

Harris Williams & Co.2018-05-29