Harris "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Harris Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated May 28, 2019

3.4
Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown
Pros
  • "9/80 work schedule, unlimited discretionary PTO(in 119 reviews)

• "good work life balance available, Vacation policy(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • "Technical opinions from good engineers are largely not considered by upper management(in 59 reviews)

• "Lack of vision, senior management lacks sensitivity to business or employee needs(in 39 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company exciting products"

Current Employee - Business Development in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity for growth, good work environment, all professional people!

Cons

Little exposure to upper management

Harris2017-04-20

"Quality is the lowest priority"

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits can actually be good, but largely depends on your manager. The people who determine your salary and fight for you are disconnected from your day to day work. If you know the right people, switching jobs internally is doable. Most of the engineers I worked directly with mean well and are nice. Good opportunities to get security clearances and to keep them active.

Cons

Note: This is from being on 3 different programs at Harris No accountability for under performers in both technical and managerial roles due to 'Matrix Organization' (technical leadership and 'HR' type leadership are separate). Absolutely no training given to software engineers (unsure about other disciplines), nor are there opportunities to get training. Also, no manager would allow you to take time to get said training instead of working on your assigned project. Every project I know of (which include most of Harris' money makers) are vastly under staffed and under budgeted. Morale is low in general. I have yet to meet an engineer who is relatively new at Harris and who actually thinks it is an above average place to work. Getting yelled at for missing absurd deadlines is expected. Corners are expected to be cut. Quality is the lowest priority. Technical opinions from good engineers are largely not considered by upper management. Tech stack and practices are outdated (sometimes this is due to vendors and customers). Culture of working overtime and weekends is strong and toxic.

Advice to Management

The tactic of under bidding every contract is hindering engineers' ability to deliver, and is hurting Harris' reputation. The complete lack of professional training, inability to hold others accountable, and toxic work environments drives away the engineers who hold the company up. Harris makes products where peoples' lives depend on the quality of said product, so start acting like lives are at stake and put quality first.

Harris2019-05-28

"Formerly great company in decline"

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dynamic environment, working on broad range of interesting technologies for important end uses.

Cons

Gradual decay in workforce morale due to too much lip service from upper management, dropping employee benefits, lack of investment in technology development, and minimal effort to maintain talent will eventually result in loss in competitiveness.

Harris2019-05-05

"Harris has taken a downturn"

Current Employee - Senior GIS Specialist in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stability, unlimited vacation, climate in Florida

Cons

Poor middle and upper management, old equipment, no resources given to improve effieciency of programs, no profit-sharing in 4 years

Harris2019-01-15

"Good Company, Great Benefits, Healthy Challenges!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst Program in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Harris full-time for less than a year

Pros

Aside from the great benefits Harris has to offer, you will be challenged with opportunity for growth and advancement. Harris offers opportunity to increase your skills and grow either in or into your position. I love room for advancement into other segments if your willing to re-locate. This company exercise a good work-life balance.

Cons

Many of the processes can be antiquated and require stream ling. There can be a redundancy of information making it challenging of those processes that are already in place and not being utilized properly. Communication among upper management and lower management require improvement.

Advice to Management

The knowledge and trust of employees should be considered when making decisions regarding the request of reports and information. There are many times management is requesting information when there are system in place and already accessible to upper management.

Harris2018-10-02

"Focusing on Profit of People"

Current Employee - Software E in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are great. Genuinely looking out and supporting one another. I've made a number of friends and will be sad when the time comes to step away. I've learned a great deal from some senior developers who have never hesitated to share their knowledge. Numerous opportunities to take additional responsibilities (this is increasing as talented developers are loss to better paying companies). Discretionary vacation.

Cons

Despite taking on numerous responsibilities, stellar performance review, and a loss of talented developers; many of us are $10k below the industry standard. Long term employees with years of experience are making little (3-6%) more then recent college grads. During reviews we keep getting told to march on and eventually we will get recognized. Meanwhile we take on more responsibilities at below market pay while talented developers are pulled away for increased pay and recognition. Profit sharing is a non-existent benefit. Each year despite growth (stocks, profit, business capture, etc.) we are told when it's time for bonus' that we failed to deliver on some (never published) metric. Departments are told we have failed and thus no bonus, yet upper management (our leaders) are rewarded. How does leadership succeed when their department is told it's failed? The recent employee stock sharing was also fairly insulting. Harris got significant tax cuts which were placed back into stocks (which boost the CEOs bonus) locked behind a 2 year wall. So while Harris and CEO benefit immediately, employees wait another two years hoping that their 'bonus' is still worth something. If it's gone up the CEO's and corporate still make out, if stocks dropped employees get nothing while corporate already cashed our their bonuses.

Advice to Management

Re calibrate the pay of longer term employees to match industry standard. Paying significantly below industry standard (according to multiple sites like Glassdoor), and little more than new hires sends the signal that you don't value the talented developers. When those employees are lost the team is impacted not only by needing to hire someone new and bring them up to speed, but there is a knowledge loss that takes years to recover. Either restore the profit sharing or remove it as a listed benefit. It's been several years and simply come across as a dangled carrot we will never reach.

Harris2018-09-08

"Great Company, now just a Good Company"

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hard working and caring people. Projects that make a difference.

Cons

In my opinion, upper management has taken a great company to work for and made it a just a good or average company. Benefits have been whittled down to where they are no longer a differentiator to the company down the road. It appears that stock price is now more valuable than the people.

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics regarding management and show that you value the people that make the company and it has less to do with salary.

Harris2018-04-03

"Bad upper management"

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are good. Good products and technology.

Cons

Pay is was under the industry level. Upper management has no vision. No bonus for the last 5 years. Even with promotions they give a nominal 1-3% pay hike

Harris2018-01-19

"Lets just say I'm looking for a new job"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

None. Nope. Zip. Nada. No.

Cons

The worst. Don't even consider it, seriously, don't. I have been without work for over a year sitting around just waiting on anything. Managers keep saying oh well we're looking for work, we lost a big contract, etc. This shows they don't value their employees to get them work to do. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? You hired someone to do work for you, why won't you give them work to do? Part of it is their line of business. Government contracts are the worst, they aren't reliable in terms of getting business in the door and then when they loose the business a bunch of employees have no work to do. Unreal. ON TOP OF THAT I've gotten rude, disrespectful, patronizing, unprofessional, degrading emails from upper management. When I confront them saying that it was uncalled for and unappreciated in how they talked to me in that message they didn't respond or apologize. I, as well as everyone else, demand respect and when your own management won't respect you then why respect them? why work for them any longer? I'M DONE, OUT, I'M GONE. You guys had be running after leaving me sitting around with no work for 4 months after I was HIRED!!! Why was I ever hired to begin with? I've wasted ALL of my time here. Thanks for nothing. Like I said - the worst. Don't even consider them.

Advice to Management

Show your employees respect and value your employees. And for goodness sake give them freaking work to do. No one likes to come in to work to sit and look at a computer screen for 8 hours and leave, day in and out for over a year. It really wears thin on people and makes them loose a sense of purpose and meaning. Get your crap together before you plunge all of your employees into depression.

Harris2018-01-05

"An absolute horror show of a company"

Senior Engineer in North Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Harris for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with your peers. Nice 401K

Cons

Management could care less about you. If they crash and burn a program it's everybody else's fault. Just ask everyone in Massachusetts what happened. The bottom line is it's all about the stockholders and upper management

Advice to Management

Hard to give advice to management when they usually screw the process up and then blame everyone else. It's a typical environment that never changes and never will. Suggestion is not to go near this company

Harris2017-11-29