Harrison College Reviews | Glassdoor

Harrison College President and CEO James D. Hutton
James D. Hutton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Also, many of the people there have been there a long time, so upward mobility is very lacking (in 4 reviews)

• Its like being back in high school (in 3 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co workers and staff

Cons

Due to constant changes you never feel secure in your position.

2. "Tries to be honest, but misses the point."

I worked at Harrison College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really great coworkers, easy work, good pay.

Cons

They force employees to spam people with phonecalls.

Advice to Management

Be human.

"Adjunct Instructor at Fort Wayne, IN"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Harrison College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I will not work there again.

Cons

My immediate manager was not competent and mean-spirited. That environment could come from the top, however. All management were impersonal. The constantly changing administrative tasks were burdensome. Even simple things like adding toner to printers and replacing burned out projector lamps were not done. Pay was on the low end of the industry.

Advice to Management

Like all for-profit colleges, close down and save the federal government billions in defaulted student loans and thousands of students with exorbitant debt they can never hope to pay.

4. "Student work study"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I worked at Harrison College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, positive atmosphere

Cons

Day to day I wasn't sure what I'd be doing at work.

Advice to Management

Keep better track of administrative assistants working log.

"Bad Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work downtown, free parking, "free" tuition (plus books and fees which can amount to over $5k/yr)

Cons

For profit college bilking low socioeconomic class into taking HUGE loans they'll struggle to repay. Mediocre gainful employment numbers and job prospects after graduation. Heavy emphasis on employee brainwashing from Pacific Institute. Nepotism in the C-level and on the board. 3 layoffs in a year and a half. Inept President and CEO.

Advice to Management

Too many managers, too few workers, unfocused goals.

"Faculty"

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very small school. They will hang on every single student that crosses the door to Harrison.

Cons

The culture of the school is to recruit any and all kinds of students no matter what their current education level may be. In other words, there are some students that need lots of one-on-one assistance, but they are placed in classes where other students have to wait for them to get caught up.

"Bad"

Pros

Most coworkers were good people.

Cons

The school has essentially no admissions standards. Many students in the same classes were on drastically different levels, making it difficult for instructors and the students. The degrees are ridiculously expensive and not worth it considering the type of jobs students get after graduating.

They are also in the process of getting a new accreditor, and things are very unstable at the moment. People at corporate dont seem to know what they are doing in regards to this. Not to mention, there have been budget cuts. 401k match was eliminated and people get laid off in large numbers every 6 months or so.

Advice to Management

Think things through before making hasty changes. Quit pretending to care about your employees/students and actually help them.

8. "Love Harrison College"

I have been working at Harrison College full-time

Pros

Committed to bettering our students and our employer communities.

Cons

I have one at this time.

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and decent benefits. Most people working here (admissions, administrative) are pretty cool people. But most are just there for a paycheck.

Cons

The management at Harrison college is a complete joke. No one knows what they are doing and they make hasty decisions with NO thought of how they will play out long term. They will cancel programs within the college, make you call students to tell them their program is cancelled, then reinstate the program a day later. It's embarrassing to have to tell students you have no idea what's going on. THIS SCHOOL IS NOT ACCREDITED. They recently lost accreditation and are attempting to get a new one, but that will be months. They will continue to mislead people anyway. Just a scam in every regard.

Advice to Management

Personally I'd advise all management to find a new job asap before Harrison closes. As for actual every day advice....use your brain. Make choices that make sense. Think further than 24 hours if brain capacity allows. Stick up for your employees rather than cover your own behind. Stop being spineless. Stop being yes-people.

Harrison College Response

Apr 19, 2017 – Human Resource Specialist

We appreciate the constructive criticism and work each day to improve our teams, programs, and functional processes that we have in place.

Harrison is recognized as accredited by the U.S... More

10. "Admissions"

Former Employee - Admissions
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some staff/faculty were a pleasure to work with. Pay is okay. The people that choose to enroll were interesting to work with.

Cons

Most staff/faculty mean well but this place is cutthroat and all about politics. Harrison College cut 401k, pay freeze active for the last 2 years, cut college programs. Harrison preys on people with low-income (mostly no stable income) and low self-esteem.

Advice to Management

Focus on treating ALL staff fairly. Admissions is too easily blamed for the problems that the company is facing. Take care of the admissions people because if they decide to quit the show is over. Terrible work/life balance. No career advancement unless someone quits or gets laid off. Senior management have no idea what is going on. They come up with ideas that are poorly thought out and expect the highest of outcomes. And if their expectations aren't met then it's always someone's fault. This place preaches family, health, life but that only stands for Senior Managers and their favorite staff/faculty. I do not recommend working here or studying here. You literally have to numb your morals and ethics to work here. They charge top-dollar for a worthless education.