Harrison College Reviews | Glassdoor

Harrison College Reviews

Updated November 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work, easy to move up quickly (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers for the most part (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, many of the people there have been there a long time, so upward mobility is very lacking (in 4 reviews)

• Many students are forced into taking online classes because there are few campus classes available (in 3 reviews)

1. "Love Harrison College"

I have been working at Harrison College full-time

Pros

Committed to bettering our students and our employer communities.

Cons

I have one at this time.

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and decent benefits. Most people working here (admissions, administrative) are pretty cool people. But most are just there for a paycheck.

Cons

The management at Harrison college is a complete joke. No one knows what they are doing and they make hasty decisions with NO thought of how they will play out long term. They will cancel programs within the college, make you call students to tell them their program is cancelled, then reinstate the program a day later. It's embarrassing to have to tell students you have no idea what's going on. THIS SCHOOL IS NOT ACCREDITED. They recently lost accreditation and are attempting to get a new one, but that will be months. They will continue to mislead people anyway. Just a scam in every regard.

Advice to Management

Personally I'd advise all management to find a new job asap before Harrison closes. As for actual every day advice....use your brain. Make choices that make sense. Think further than 24 hours if brain capacity allows. Stick up for your employees rather than cover your own behind. Stop being spineless. Stop being yes-people.

Harrison College Response

Apr 19, 2017 – Human Resource Specialist

We appreciate the constructive criticism and work each day to improve our teams, programs, and functional processes that we have in place.

Harrison is recognized as accredited by the U.S... More

3. "Admissions"

Former Employee - Admissions
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some staff/faculty were a pleasure to work with. Pay is okay. The people that choose to enroll were interesting to work with.

Cons

Most staff/faculty mean well but this place is cutthroat and all about politics. Harrison College cut 401k, pay freeze active for the last 2 years, cut college programs. Harrison preys on people with low-income (mostly no stable income) and low self-esteem.

Advice to Management

Focus on treating ALL staff fairly. Admissions is too easily blamed for the problems that the company is facing. Take care of the admissions people because if they decide to quit the show is over. Terrible work/life balance. No career advancement unless someone quits or gets laid off. Senior management have no idea what is going on. They come up with ideas that are poorly thought out and expect the highest of outcomes. And if their expectations aren't met then it's always someone's fault. This place preaches family, health, life but that only stands for Senior Managers and their favorite staff/faculty. I do not recommend working here or studying here. You literally have to numb your morals and ethics to work here. They charge top-dollar for a worthless education.

"Registrar"

Former Employee - Registrar in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registrar in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. The faculty was nice and the building was usually pretty clean. Most of the students were good-hearted.

Cons

El Stinko! This place rips students off for big bucks, and underpays the faculty and staff. Ivy Tech is a much better option. They try to brainwash people with the zombies from The Pacific Institute. Overall, it is a waste.

Advice to Management

Management should drastically reduce their ranks. There are FAR too many administrators with very vague titles, who contribute absolutely nothing to the school.

"Admissions Representative"

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay.
    It's so easy to fall in love with the student's and their stories. Truly amazing people overcoming obstacles.
    Loved the staff/faculty at my campus.

This would be a good first job to have right out of college, when you'll take anything regardless of hours worked or the actual job (this is the type of person they prey on). It would probably really put into perspective what you actually want in a career.
    If you enjoy making over 100 cold calls EVERY day to disgruntled people that may or may not be looking into school... then go for it!

Cons

The hours aren't the best since you have to work late multiple times a week.
    No upward mobility unless someone gets fired/quits (which, to be fair, the turnover rate is RIDICULOUSLY high here).
    B2C cold calling sucks.. no way to get around that. No one likes to be bothered or sold while they're at home/work. Not to mention, I felt awful calling these people MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY/WEEK. Who calls one person three times a day?? Oh right, Harrison. Maybe take a chill pill on that.

They guilt you for taking the time off that you earn (and lose if you don't use). It is also severely frowned upon (if not prohibited) to take time off during break-weeks/finals-weeks/start-weeks... so essentially 12 weeks out of the year.

Admin only looks out for themselves. Sometimes I felt they would set you up to fail with unrealistic expectations. That way it wouldn't appear to be their fault when you do fail. Which was inevitable because rarely are you given the resources to hit your goal. They would tell you that you need to be better but then not tell you how.

Advice to Management

Maybe care less about money and more about the happiness of your employees? People might stay longer.

"Representative"

Pros

Good benefits, great students, team work

Cons

Bad Moral, Management only helps themselves and will say anything to protect themselves

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees

"Good co-workers, leadership trouble"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people who work at the campus level are a joy to work with and sincerely care about what they do.

Cons

The leadership talks a good game of caring about the students, but when it comes to the actual work, it's very clear profit rules the day. Also, many of the people there have been there a long time, so upward mobility is very lacking.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach; if you truly put the student first, you'd still be able to make a profit.

"Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Phenomenal people to work with and decent structure

Cons

For-profits just aren't in a good place at the moment

9. "Federal Work Study"

Current Employee - Federal Work Study in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Federal Work Study in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Harrison College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is very accepting of different personalities and ideas.

Cons

While the different campuses have their own unique qualities, the final word comes from the main offices in Indianapolis, IN.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more focus on student groups. The Terre Haute campus has offered the best overall education to its students that I have ever witnessed.

"Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor in Anderson, IN
    Former Employee - Instructor in Anderson, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping students attain their educational goals is a very rewarding part of this position. The other instructors were also always helpful and supportive. They are an amazing group of people.

Cons

For the first several years, I felt supported by my supervisors in many aspects of my job. The last year, however, was a different story. Communication was minimal to nonexistent from my direct supervisors and administrators. My direct supervisor never once held a department meeting to inform instructors of changes or give instruction as to how the curriculum needed to be taught. She barely talked to me even though we were both on campus FT. Instructors were not given private, adequate, comfortable work space. We had to fend for ourselves by sharing classrooms and computers in the lounge to do our work.
       Minimal vacation or time off for full time instructors. We got the five weeks a year off between quarters but always had to spend a majority of that time preparing for the next quarter without compensation.

Advice to Management

Expectations for instructors too high, heavy workload even for adjuncts, not enough support for those in the classroom, make sure instructors know about all of the many changes in curriculum and how those changes affect how the courses need to be taught.