Harrison School District 2 Reviews | Glassdoor

F Mike Miles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Gen ed teacher"

I have been working at Harrison School District 2 full-time

Pros

I love giving back to my community and helping kids develop perseverance to become life long learners. I think developing this skill alone sets kids up for long term success.

Cons

I work in a pay for performance school district which doesn't seem fair because our kids are underprivileged and their test scores affect whether teachers get paid or not.

Advice to Management

Go to an union district and reward the teachers as well as protect them for working in such a tough district.

2. "Teacher"

I worked at Harrison School District 2 full-time

Pros

Most co-workers were nice. Bosses were nice. Kind and helpful mentors. Good training.

Cons

Not enough time to prepare lesson plans for new teachers. You had to create your own lesson plans from scratch. Old textbooks. No para/tutor support. Many students with behavioral needs. Sometimes many with special needs and not enough support. Long hours. Students to take tests every two weeks. You help create tests.

Advice to Management

Make sure money is being spent on essentials to help support teachers to do their jobs well. Especially new teachers.

3. "PARA"

I have been working at Harrison School District 2 full-time

Pros

Great people at the school

Cons

Pay is very low for how much we work.

4. "Highly Stressful Work Environment"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Harrison School District 2 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An easy place to get your foot in the door to be a teacher.
    Many opportunities for professional development.
    There are some great kids in this district (along with some very bad apples)

Cons

Admin who have forgotten what it takes to be a teacher.
    Pay for performance is a joke. They hate experienced teachers.
    Often contradictory feedback from different administrators.
    Moral is extremely low. Most teachers cannot wait to get some experience then leave.

Advice to Management

Try to remember what it is like to be a teacher even if you only taught for 2 years (like my former AP).
    Treat your staff with respect, they bust their tails for the kids.

5. "Pay for Performance School District"

Former Employee - Teacher

Pros

Lots of professional development opportunities, great kids. Teachers, staff, admin all work really hard.

Cons

Pay for performance creates a very competitive environment among the teachers. Test driven curriculum you need to follow.

6. "Math teacher"

Pros

They are a higher paying district than many other ones in town. We had a great principal who believed in the teachers.

Cons

Harrison District 2 has high turnover, and that influences student learning a lot. Most problems are adult problems between teachers and admin, or district level.

Advice to Management

Harrison needs to treat their teachers with a higher level of confidence, and not talk to us with a condescending attitude.

"There is no excuse for how you treat teachers"

Former Employee - Teacher in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Harrison School District 2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the kids are great. All of the teachers I've worked with are very hard-working, wanting the best for their kids, and spend much time, energy, and their own money to give it. The school I was at was very good at celebrating students' success with assemblies and awards. Schools work very hard to make sure kids' basic needs are met, giving them coats, backpacks, school supplies, etc.

Cons

Everything is totally test-driven. pay for performance is a joke. When my test scores got me to the next pay level, I started all of the sudden getting terrible evaluations, and could do nothing right. Instead of giving me my big raise, they decided not to renew my contract. There are very few teachers getting rewarded for their performance, just favorites. Saw two teachers targeted this year, both had medical conditions and had taught successfully in other districts, but suddenly they were "bad teachers". Teachers have NO freedom regarding curriculum, timing, or methods of teaching. The district is very heavy in young, inexperienced teachers because they dont want to pay older ones with experience. Admin gives no support with students with extreme behavior problems, preferring to blame it on the teacher, instead.

Advice to Management

Give your teachers some freedom to do what they were trained to do. Get rid of the mantra, "there is no excuse for poor teaching", and actually value and support your teachers instead. Stop testing the students so much, and give them time to learn. Encourage communication between teachers and district office, so the upper admin has some idea of the issues teachers are facing.

"Library Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

-Had a lot of holidays off and was able to spend time with family
    -Was able to be creative
    -Great principal as a manager for middle school

Cons

-Pay is not that great because it is pro-rated for the summer time that you do not work
    -There are a lot of younger people (in their early 's) that are very standoffish and not mature
    -Not much direction is given to you, which can sometimes be a pain in the butt when you need to know what is needed from you as an employee

Advice to Management

Try hiring some older, more mature adults as teachers. Not ones who are single and just looking for a boyfriend or girlfriend when they are supposed to be teaching their students.

9. "Teacher"

Pros

Excellant place to work and a great place to be employed.

Cons

I do not have any cons for this job.

10. "is the grass greener?"

Former Employee - High School Teacher in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Harrison School District 2 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-kids are great
    -you have a good chance at getting position/classes you want within a few years
    -pay for performance can mean more money for younger/newer teachers, and experienced teachers that are excellent

Cons

-state scores are always the focus at the expense of everything else (like many other districts)
    -lots of turnover both teachers and principals, and at district level.
    -low-income district, so sometimes funding/supplies are difficult

Advice to Management

drink more