Harrison & Shriftman Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Elizabeth Harrison and Laura Shiftman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Opportunity for the Right Person"

I worked at Harrison & Shriftman full-time

Pros

H&S has come a long way in terms of corporate culture and the office atmosphere. There is a large sense of autonomy, regardless of your role, and employees of all levels and skill sets are able to contribute to a wide variety of projects and clients. They have a great core group of clients, and are doing interesting work.

Cons

With autonomy comes a need for self-discipline. It's hard sometimes to jump in and go with the flow if you aren't used to this type of work environment.

"Executive Assistant to Principal"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant to President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant to President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Harrison & Shriftman full-time

Pros

Worked in the LA office directly under the Principal for over a year. Normal tasks included scheduling and follow up, and a lot of writing... Blogs, pitches, social media, decks, etc. Though she is very tough, she is actually a very considerate boss. She encouraged my creative input when it came to writing, event production and pretty much anything else. She apologized when she (rarely) sprung last-minute requests on me, and she fully understood (and encouraged) I had a life beyond my job.

This was a very valuable experience. She is very insistent that her assistant learn something and if you do a good job on her desk, you WILL be promoted.

Also 2 weeks vacation over the holidays and rotating summer Fridays (but you rarely get them off when you are an EA).

Cons

Long hours at times. Pay is not great. Very diirty office with no parking (which has since relocated); and at the time there was a lot of drama between employees who are no longer there. Director was unfriendly.

Advice to Management

Try to cultivate a friendlier work environment.

"Stay away from admin roles"

I worked at Harrison & Shriftman (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for building your resume and moving onto a more reputable company. Rotating summer Fridays. I imagine that if you stay long enough, there would be room for growth since the door is always revolving.

Cons

The most toxic job I have ever had. People were constantly coming and going in the few months that I was there. The principal was the most condescending, nasty human being I have ever had to work with. Several people in higher positions at H&S fed off of her energy and helped foster a negative work environment. The other co-founder was equally nasty, if not worse from the brief phone conversations I had to endure with her. I had to often be the principal's assistant (unwillingly) due to some transition and was paid a pittance. Such a pittance, that the HR manager that hired me increased the offer that I accepted to a measly $13/ hour. I would have to plan trips for the principal and her mother, locate things that she lost by calling places that she frequented that day, and order her salad for lunch with her favorite dressing but wait, she didn't even know the name of it! I had to call her previous assistant to figure it out. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Needless to say, the days when I had to wear the assistant hat were nothing short of miserable. The hours were extremely long and there really was no work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Let go of the egos

4. "intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Harrison & Shriftman (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to work on great events & got great experience.

Cons

horrible work environment. Managers are so rude to you. Turn over is so high bc of verbal abuse

Advice to Management

try not to name call.

5. "Account Executive"

I worked at Harrison & Shriftman full-time

Pros

Fun accounts, great legacy, competitive salaries and good health insurance benefits

Cons

Inconsistent management, experiences vary greatly depending on what team you are assigned to

"How is this company still in business?"

Pros

I have to enter five words but honestly cant think of one, i mean even their magazine subscriptions are out of date.

Cons

CEO think's she is Anna Wintour but hasnt done anything notable in over a decade

Advice to Management

turn off the lights

7. "Unprofessional work environment with extremely high turnover, sloppy management and gossipy employees"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Harrison & Shriftman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great holiday time-off, casual work environment, fun events

Cons

lots of internal drama, unclean work space, terrible and rude management, long hours and little pay, lack of leadership and professionalism, low caliber clients, no sense of community, low employee morale, no room for growth or development, abnormally high turnover, negative employee relations, overall poisonous atmosphere

Advice to Management

Start monitoring the amount of work thrown upon employees and offering more group or employee activities to boost morale and productivity. Improve leadership skills of managers

8. "Do not work in the LA office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Harrison & Shriftman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none. Do not make the mistake of being impressed by former clients. They haven't worked with that caliber clientele in ages.

Cons

EVERYTHING. This place is falling apart.

Advice to Management

Find some real clients, find some real employees, and stop using assistants as personal butlers.

9. "It was OK"

Pros

Friendly co-workers, cool clients, Studio HS produces great events

Cons

Disorganized, Low pay, HIGH turn-over rate, long hours (as expected)

Advice to Management

More direction

10. "internship"

Pros

worked great events and you have flexible schedule

Cons

not a lot of learning