Harrity & Harrity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
John Harrity

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity full-time

Pros

Great people, great working environment, and great pay! The life/work balance is fantastic.

Cons

The free coffee and snacks could be better ;-)

2. "Employer Extraordinaire!"

Current Employee - Accounting in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity (More than 8 years)

Pros

Harrity and Harrity works hard to create an environment that makes coming to work enjoyable. They provide competitive benefits and compensation, and work with employees to improve the "life-work" balance. We are frequently encouraged to participate in team building activities, including book clubs, paint nights, Escape Rooms, and CPR classes. Harrity and Harrity also emphasizes giving back to the community through charity walks and corporate giving. This firm also emphasizes quality above all else. I love being a part of this team, and I can't wait to see what other great things they have in store. If you are looking for a place where you don't mind coming to work every day, this is it!

Cons

The location is not on a metro stop.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all that you do for us!

3. "Associate"

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Good pay
    Everyone is friendly
    Management committed to high employee morale

Cons

I can't think of any

"Good Resume Builder, Not a long-term Career for most"

Former Employee - Business Development in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Harrity & Harrity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Casual work environment, and likeable co-workers. There's an attitude of winning and success that comes from the top, which leads to fairly high morale and confidence from top to bottom. I've been in offices where losing was expected, and going in every day knowing you're the best is a refreshing and fulfilling experience.

- Freedom to learn new skills, and plenty of time given to explore new processes and approaches to problems. You pick up plenty of valuable skills on the admin side, so you can fill out your resume pretty quickly. Management is open to new ideas and approaches, and is patient enough to let you chart your own course. For people who have a desire to learn new things and solve problems, this is a plus. If you'd rather have set processes and consistency, this is a huge con.

- Small company feel. You know everyone in the office, plenty of inside jokes, and you feel like a member of a team, not a cog in a machine. While it's a nice feeling, it comes with downsides (more on that later)

- Relatively low-stress. There are few deadlines that you'll have to rush to meet, no sales quotas or the like, and are pretty free to set your own priorities on most projects. Management isn't overbearing or overly critical, which lets you focus on the work instead of office politics or panicking over performance metrics.

Cons

- Work is wildly inconsistent, both in interest and value. This may be exclusive to the BD department, but you will come in some days learning new skills, taking on rewarding challenges, and then spend the next week doing the most mind-numbing busy work imaginable. Staying mentally focused through the long periods of editing the same Powerpoints and excel sheets endlessly is a monumental task in itself. If you're the kind of person who wants to do something that gives you meaning, or makes a real impact in someone's life, this isn't a job you should take on.

- Inconsistency in the work, and management. You'll frequently finish projects, review them, send them to management for review, only to discover that some new previously unknown requirement is needed, and you're back to step 1. "Perfection is the enemy of progress" is a quote that should probably be used a little more in this office.

- Small company feel. I know I mentioned this as a pro, but it comes with it's costs. There is a core group of employees that have been at the company since inception, and then a rotating cast of characters that will come and go with little notice. You're either a lifer or you're probably leaving after a year or so. There's also a desire to make the Harrity "brand" more of a corporate, rather than just embrace the boutique small company identity. The office itself has no real personality; you'll look up from your cubicle at an inspirational stock quote poster and die a little inside. The commitment to the "core values" of the Harrity brand is admirable, but borders on cultish. (ps: If you see the word "Quality" in one of these reviews, take it with a grain of salt. It's probably a fake review written by BD to protect the rating on this page)

- Upward Trajectory/Practical Knowledge isn't a priority. There is lip service given to the idea of taking on more responsibility, a better role, but it's just that - lip service. You learn some practical skills (Microsoft Office basically), but you also build up a lot of niche knowledge that has no value beyond patent law or Harrity. Universal Business Development skills like one-pagers, marketing emails, Salesforce, etc aren't going to come up, and staying here too long will put you behind your peers in other BD industries. Come here to get office experience, master Microsoft Office, and then get out.

- MISC: The office is in a suburb with little food options or public transportation nearby. For some (especially people with families), this is a win. If you're a 20 something hoping to have a vibrant social life, this is a huge loss. Don't expect to be great friends or frequent happy hour with your co-workers. Fantasy football pools and the occasional holiday dinner is the only time you'll mix your personal life and work life. Obviously this is a good thing for people with more established lives, but if you're young and trying to make friends in a new area, this is a dead end. Compensation wise, the benefits are okay, pay is probably below average and has little upward trajectory in the admin/BD side.

Advice to Management

Embrace the small company identity instead of trying to copy whichever flavor-of-the-month business book the partners read that month. Try and get more perspective on the work from newer employees rather than rely on the long-term brain trust. Try and give the office more personality.

Harrity & Harrity Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Business Development

Thank you so much for your thorough feedback. The points in your review will be discussed with management and with current employees. At Harrity & Harrity, we strive to maintain a positive work... More

"I love working here."

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone on the staff is so willing to help me learn. This firm truly works as a team, and I feel like my contribution makes a huge difference. The benefits (including casual dress and a flexible work schedule) are great, too.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Proud to be part of the team!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity full-time

Pros

I love the culture of this firm! Everyone is so positive and supportive of one another. I've never felt so empowered with an employer. They also encourage us to find a healthy work-life balance. The partners and supervisors create a work environment that actually makes me want to come to work and do my best. They make me feel like my role is important and the work I do is greatly appreciated.

Cons

The downside of this job: my commute.

"Terrific Firm to work for!"

Current Employee - Attorney in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is great, coworkers are the best, atmosphere is casual.

Cons

Have worked at several firms and this is the best one, cannot think of downsides.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"The Best Patent Law Firm to Work For!"

Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harrity & Harrity is a fantastic place to work. Below are the top five reasons that I love working at Harrity & Harrity.

1. Quality -- Harrity & Harrity separates itself from other law firms by focusing on quality. Having seen thousands of patents, patent applications, and office actions responses as a former Patent Examiner, I can attest that the quality of work produced by attorneys at Harrity & Harrity is above and beyond the vast majority of work produced by other law firms. Harrity & Harrity uses a uniform writing style for patent applications and responses that has been carefully developed over the years to ensure the highest quality. The firm also has a formal second attorney review policy that ensures that every attorney's work product is thoroughly reviewed by another attorney at the firm (typically a partner) before the work leaves the firm. These two policies help to maintain Harrity & Harrity's high level of quality.

2. Training -- Harrity & Harrity provides extensive training on how to draft high quality patent applications and high quality responses to office actions. The firm has developed several different training programs for new associates that are tailored toward the associate's level of experience. Also, training is ongoing through the firm's second attorney review policy, monthly case law updates, and monthly claims and prosecution scenario workshops. In addition to patent-related skills training, the firm also provides training in other areas, such as business development, presentation skills, recruiting, and firm management skills.

3. Clients -- Harrity & Harrity represents some of the world's leading technology companies, with several clients in the Fortune 500 and Fortune 100. Associates have daily interactions with inventors and in-house counsel at these cutting edge companies. Many of our clients have been with us for the long haul, and have made us their number one, go-to firm for patent application preparation and prosecution.

4. Compensation -- Harrity & Harrity's compensation package is unbeatable. The firm pays top dollar for high quality people to perform high quality work. Harrity & Harrity's compensation structure is a unique pay-for-productivity structure, rather than the antiquated, tiresome billable hour structure. This structure encourages associates to work efficiently rather than log a large quantity of hours. Our associates consistently earn more than their peers at other firms, while working fewer hours. Many of the firm's associates consistently earn partner level money. The firm also offers great benefits.

5. Work Environment -- Harrity & Harrity has a casual work environment, with jeans being the norm. Everybody that works at the firm is friendly and has a positive attitude. I enjoy going to work because the firm's leadership chooses to surround themselves with friendly, hard-working, intelligent people.

Overall, I can't imagine working at a better law firm than Harrity & Harrity!

Cons

You must be self-motivated, focused, driven, and hard-working!

Harrity & Harrity Response

Jun 14, 2017 – Business Development

Thanks for the great review! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

"Great working environment!"

Current Employee - Patent Prosecution Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Patent Prosecution Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Harrity & Harrity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A small law firm with potential for all employees to be involved in various aspects of the patent field. Flexible hours, great benefits, and great working environment. Ample training provided. Perfect for anyone who wants to feel like part of a team, and has a desire to work with the best in the field.

Cons

There are no cons for me.

10. "A Diamond in the Rough"

I worked at Harrity & Harrity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office is very nice and accommodations are good.

Cons

They have unrealistic expectations and if you make too many little mistakes they let you go with little to no warning.

Advice to Management

Give newer employees a chance to state their case instead of just taking the word of your older employees.