Harry and David Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Lightman

Pros
  • Great People and quality training for many different opportunities (in 9 reviews)

• Good atmosphere and good products, good bonus and great employee discount (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changes about every 2 years and every time it does all priorities change (in 12 reviews)

• On your feet all day, okay if in a carpeted store, low pay (in 6 reviews)

1. "Endless Opportunity"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Harry and David full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provided endless opportunity for growth and development. The culture was evolving but friendly.

Cons

The seasonality of the business can be tiring.

2. "Seasonal/Temporary"

I worked at Harry and David full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to learn and advance by acquiring new skills. Many good people to work with.

Cons

Very fast paced and almost everyone is seasonal or temporary.

Advice to Management

Broaden product selections to increase sales to support retaining full workforce year round.

3. "Lots of fun, lots of work, lots of fear and uncertainty."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lincoln City, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lincoln City, OR

I worked at Harry and David full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great local product (I live in oregon where the company produces it's goods) that is well known by the customer base. Store staff was given the chance to truly run the business in the way that fit the local community. The previous company missions ( "deliver happiness, and "creating expertly crafted delights") are simple to complete. It was not about how great our products were as much as how great a company we are. It is easy to promote the shopping experience as a whole, it was fun for the staff and thrilling for the customer.

Cons

Financial insecurity has caused much distress over the past 5 years. Management changed are constant and sweep across all departments of the company. Without major changes to the business model, which seems to be simply stating that their products are the best without any real evidence of these facts, there will be very little business growth.

Times have changed with the changing retail environment. There are now computers in each storefront to further push ordering to the online marketplace where there is lower overhead and more options, but this simply alienates the customer who came into the store to shop, minimizing their importance to the company.

I recognized the return to the days where store staff was given the impression that we would be successful if we simply "try harder". This did not give me any confidence in the team of leaders and I ultimately chose to depart a position I proudly held for half a decade and would have kept another 10 years with pleasure.

No true plans or desire to develop staff to higher positions. Nor any security at all if you do find promotion of any kind. Caused by constant changes in leadership, you often feel or worry about being "part of the old regime".

5. "Seasonal position at call center"

Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Medford, OR

I worked at Harry and David full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

positive atmosphere in general
    pleasant working space
    pays a bit more than retail
    lots of hours over the holidays
    Supervisors are generally nice

Cons

trying to meet quotas that people find distasteful (having to try to upsell when someone is calling to complain/return product)
    associates are led to think they might stay longer or permanent position- that never happens! My trainer has been there 3 years and STILL is considered temporary

Advice to Management

Do not force the sales in incoming customer service complaint calls. Do not lead associates to think they may be hired on. Give a bit more leeway with clocking in/out procedures (I was docked for clocking in a few minutes EARLY!)

6. "Davis Eye Center"

I have been working at Harry and David full-time

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Davis Eye Center are the co-workers and the high standard for patient care.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at Davis Eye Center is the staff shortage at times

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to continue to hire great employees!

"Harry and David"

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Medford, OR

I worked at Harry and David (Less than a year)

Pros

Safety first. Easy work, awesome night crew.

Cons

Better variety of vending machines.

Advice to Management

Good Job keep it up!

8. "Seasonal Call center leadership"

I worked at Harry and David full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, depending on management

Cons

Always temporary and competing for year round status. Upper management changes about every 2 years and every time it does all priorities change. High expectations for minimal pay and offen people in seasonal leadership roles aren't qualified for that kind of responsibility. Lots of drama!

9. "OK Temp Job"

I worked at Harry and David full-time

Pros

Easy work ok pay ppl ok

Cons

Way to busy no breathing room at all

Advice to Management

Be sure to hire ppl with knowledge in the field and

10. "Dock operator"

Former Employee - Dock Operator in Hebron, OH
    Former Employee - Dock Operator in Hebron, OH

I worked at Harry and David full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with helpful and friendly supervisors. The seasonal atmosphere was quick but fun. All workers from the security front desk, HR, supervisors in phone sales and out in the dock area were all friendly & helpful. Really enjoyed working for the company over the holiday season.

Cons

Once the holiday season is over, so is the job. Unfortunately PT work is not available over the holiday. Some days are less than 8 hours and others over 8...one never knows.

"Company needs to make changes to save talent and improve morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR

I worked at Harry and David full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The very best part of working at Harry & David is the people who work hard managing the day to day needs. You depend SO MUCH on the work of others in that organization that you inherently grow a mutual respect, and in many cases lasting friendship, with those who work around you.

Cons

While positive relationships with colleagues may be the best PRO for the company, there are many CONS working against it. The biggest being the poor morale that is evident in every nook and cranny in the corporate office. People are judged, resented and in many times blocked for career improving positions because of unnecessary politics and just plain favoritism. I've seen people promoted for jobs who are grossly unqualified and who exercise the worst work ethic, while those best fit for positions have been denied because the promotion wouldn't look right for the organization or because others didn't get offered the same path. And if you dare take any of these private issues to HR, they are sure to become public and you will soon have a superficial X on your file without any promised promotion in your near or distant future.

The next biggest issue is the glaring unfair, gender-biased salary compensation issues that occur in the corporate office as well. To put it simply, they occur quite regularly and if you bring them up to your supervisor in honest conversation, odds are you will be reprimanded and you can go home knowing an annual cost of living raise is the best you will get. New hires are paid better than those promoted from within the organization and you're best to negotiate what you think is a fair salary at the point of hiring, otherwise enjoy the 3%.

Advice to Management

Clean up the organization. Begin promoting the self-starting, ambitious, goal-oriented talent you already have working for you; the ones that can lead and grow amazing teams and not those who are whiny, indecisive and the can't-step-until-told-what-foot-to-start-with type. Once you have better leaders in place in given time, you will build stronger departments that will yield more productive staff, improved working relationships between teams, and eventually - and finally - BETTER MORALE.