Harry and David Reviews | Glassdoor

Harry and David Reviews

Updated May 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good atmosphere and good products, good bonus and great employee discount (in 8 reviews)

• Pros: Great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changes about every 2 years and every time it does all priorities change (in 13 reviews)

• On your feet all day, okay if in a carpeted store, low pay (in 6 reviews)

"What a joke!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR

I worked at Harry and David full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They will hire anybody. Beware, they will make promises upon employment that they will not keep. If you are a tweaker who can't land a real job this may be the place for you!

Cons

If you are upper management this can be a decent job. For everybody else, they just don't care about you...at all, you are a number to them, pay is unlivable, management acts like they are doing you a favor while they treat you like garbage!. I worked in the warehouse end of this place for years. I was constantly told how great of an employee I was as I watched other people get promoted right past me. The people who get promotions all have family who are management. People who I trained, with less education and experience than me became my boss. The one thing they all had in common was that their mother, father, aunt, uncle, etc. was management. I'm not stupid, I know this happens in most jobs, but not to the extent that it happens here. You want a raise? After over 10 years my hourly wage increased less than $1.00. If you don't have family or very close friends in management you will go nowhere here. They don't even tell you your schedule like a normal job. They make you call a number every day with a recording that tells you if you are working the next day! You will get barely any hours (if you don't get laid off) then right before Christmas they will expect you to work 7 days a week if you complain, you're gone. The boss in my department is a complete scumbag. He cares only about himself and his job security. Just remember, I worked here for YEARS, I am not some temp employee just ranting, they absolutely DO NOT care about you unless you have family who is management...TRUST ME...this is only a last resort job!

Advice to Management

Stop giving away free promotions to your families and give people who work hard and are educated a chance to make a living. Give year round employees full time jobs instead of being so cheap that you make them call in every day after you have an idea of volume. That is an awful way to treat people who work hard...you should be ashamed of yourselves! I know you don't care, I have been told this by my supervisor in no uncertain terms,

"Skeptical about 1-800-Flowers direction"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Medford, OR

I worked at Harry and David full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harry and David has their hand in a lot of different things - from agricultural operations (fruit orchards) to food production (especially their chocolates!) to graphic design (catalogs and gift design) to logistics and engineering (package design, and distribution planning) to retail stores, call center, outside sales. And they do a lot of these things very well.

Cons

Relationships between departments can be rocky, probably somewhat because of being a lot of changes in V.P. and director-level staff and reporting structures. Depending on your job, the pay scale can be pretty low, with high expectations. I think being bought by 1-800-Flowers is going to lead to problems. I don't think they appreciate the quality and the elite nature of the brand. From what I saw, they "shoot first, ask questions later" - they come up with an idea, and force it through, without asking input from the people who will have to implement it first. Depending on your department, holiday hours can be absolutely brutal.

Advice to Management

This is directed to 1-800-Flowers -- H&D should be your crown jewel, not just another brand to lump in with the rest of your mediocre brands. Give your new management team the tools and freedom they need. And to Lightman and the rest of the management team - be sure to talk to the people who have been there 20-30-40 years. Also, do what you can to build career paths from the bottom up.

"Mercenary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR

Pros

Exceptional product line made with high quality ingredients.

Cons

Absolutely heartless senior leadership. There were more humane ways to increase profitability, but they chose not to apply them.

Advice to Management

Go back to the culture that made Harry and David great. Love your employees as much as you love your profit.

5. "Horrible Upper Management"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Ramsey, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Ramsey, MN

I worked at Harry and David full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Clients, The staff I hired was reliable and fun

Cons

very clicky upper management, had no clue how stores operated.

Advice to Management

800 flowers needs to fire all DM's and start over to make the stores not only work but profitable

6. "Great People, but Little Room for Advancement"

Former Employee - Senior Clerk in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Clerk in Medford, OR

I worked at Harry and David full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are awesome and the upper management in the Packing House are very supportive.

Cons

Outside of administration, the pay isn't all that great and some employees who I spoke with, who have been there for 20-30 years, only make around $12/hr plus benefits. Seems to me a company with that sort of loyalty from the employees would want to compensate a bit better. Granted, this is only word of mouth, as I had no access to employee records, to verify what I was told.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees to get them all a livable wage.

7. "Very Humane Retail Experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Harry and David part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I felt like I received what I put into the job, and their policies seemed fair and loyal to the people who worked with them longer. People treated each other kindly.

Cons

Unloading a truck can be physically demanding.

Dealing with customers can be unpleasant if you let a few bad eggs get to you.

Advice to Management

Update your policies regarding at gun-point robberies to have more concern for your employees within the store. I remember at orientation the management joked about the packet we were all reading through and said "yeah, if this sort of emergency happens, do not prioritize the storefront over safety. just make sure everyone is okay and call the cops/ems if needed. Corporate can be a little robotic about this stuff"

8. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Harry and David (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a kiosk at the Mall in Columbia and the pay was good. Only worked there for 2 months. Wish they came back to again so I could work their again but they switched to Annapolis

Cons

Holding merchandise for a customer was hard sometimes because they wouldn't come in time to pay for it so someone else would buy it.

Advice to Management

To have more merchandise from the catalog in Harry and David kiosks

9. "seasonal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ceres, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ceres, CA

I worked at Harry and David (Less than a year)

Pros

Its face paced and you learn a lot. On the phone and computer your whole shift.

Cons

Seasonal work, No long term work.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "National Account Executive"

Current Employee - National Account Executive in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - National Account Executive in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Harry and David (More than a year)

Pros

Great team working environment to work

Cons

Small marketing budget to compete in competitive marketplace.

Advice to Management

Increase advertising and marketing spending

"Stay away if you like strategizing and keeping up with the times."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR

I have been working at Harry and David full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in the right place at the right time, you can take on a lot of responsibility very quickly.

Cons

If not, you could be stuck somewhere for a long time... Management is now under 1800Flowers who show no signs of strategy or future plans. All plans are very short-sighted and if you are not at 1800Flowers, you have no control over what happens. Benefits are horrible. Small employee discount, no matching 401K, not competitive pay.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the decades of experience that you have in your employees and don't force decisions on people that don't make sense.