Harsco Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nicholas Grasberger

Pros
  • Hard work and stressful at times but there is alot of good people in the company (in 10 reviews)

• Every once in a while you get a manager who understands work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Company gave me the opportunity to grow (in 3 reviews)

• The Steel industry is presently in a downturn so times are tough (in 3 reviews)

1. "Well structure but intense"

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Harsco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The finance and accounting departments were well organized. The people were generally friendly but the upper management left a lot to be desired.

Cons

The environment was intense and frustrating. It was very impersonal, cold workplace. Fun was frowned upon. Salary was on the low end for the amount of responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Ask and listen to the employees competing the work. They know better than your VP and managers.

2. "Toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Stroudsburg, PA

I have been working at Harsco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company

Cons

I agree with other reviews for the East Stroudsburg location. The culture is horrible. A certain manager is the reason this location will not survive and why morale is so bad. He is unethical and favoritism is rampant. Management and company spy gossip and spread rumors when they feel threatened. It's just not a healthy work environment. Great employees have either left or been let go but the toxic managers remain. Good people who care about the company are not a value.

Advice to Management

Please realize who are the reasons we are failing and stop blaming the wrong people for their failures.

"Trying isnt enough."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Stroudsburg, PA

I have been working at Harsco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment with good pay for the area.

Cons

Extreme cases of favoritism and "blackballing". Where harsco claims to operate in an ethical way. On site many issues dont get reported by Human Resources Dept.
    Longest term employees limit ability for company to progress and modernize.
    Removal of major incentives.
    Constant changing of site General Managers makes for a loss of company focus.

Advice to Management

Please allow the younger employees to reach there true potential. Do not limit their ideas or discredit them.
    There is a major issue with great ideas to help the company as a whole. Only for the eldest to shoot them down or take credit for the idea later.
    This belittling and cut throat environment is what is driving all of the young talent out of this company so fast. Affecting how our products progress and advance in our industry.
    This company wont last if there isnt a drastic change.

"Execs don't understand reality"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Harsco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really good people, who have worked for years for you tried to do the right thing. They are pretty much former employees now.

Cons

CEO is oblivious to the realities of what is going on. An "achievement award" for HR?!?!? I guess they don't read Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Read Glassdoor.

6. "Was a good place to work at in the past"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Garrett, IN
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Garrett, IN

I worked at Harsco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

plenty of hours to work if you want

Cons

Company not working with the workers good enough i believe

Advice to Management

try to listen to workers more

7. "Center of Excellence Manager"

Former Employee - Center of Excellence Manager in Plainfield, IL
    Former Employee - Center of Excellence Manager in Plainfield, IL

Pros

Great Company!! Gave me the opportunity to expand my talents. Market dictated downsize

Cons

None. Company gave me the opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

Wish I was back

"Avoid this company! Toxic wasteland! C level execs intentionally undercut the legs of those who disagree with them."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

The struggle to survive leads to the best learning opportunities. There are still some people who truly desire to do the right thing.

Cons

CEO
    C-suite executives and their direct lackeys...CONFIDENTIALITY is not observed.
    Toxic environment
    Low employee morale
    Immature personality conflicts
    Duplicitous nature of environment
    Toxic
    Sinking ship

Do not trust your C level executives, they only care about themselves. Surprisingly, they are oblivious.

Be careful who you confide in. The current state of the business causes everyone to look out for their best interests, which do not include yours.

If you are good at your job and know it, keep your confidence to yourself. Current C level executives and their directs are scared of being outdone and the "successful" employees are pre-selected based on their pledged allegiance.

9. "Administrator"

Current Employee - Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harsco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with. Very flexible for me. Boss is flexible and easy going with my hours, I just have to get my work done.

Cons

Employed through a temp agency, no upward movement.

"Failing Company, Failing Leadership, in a Failing industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Harsco (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hmmmm not much to be said here

Cons

Poor Leadership in IT, Poor Leadership in Sales

"No one knows what they are doing, especially HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Harsco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Every once in a while you get a meaningful project tossed your way.
    Every once in a while you get a manager who understands work/life balance.
    Both of these things are few and far between.
    Some people are great to work with and good friends.

Cons

Acknowledgement and raises for internal employees are non-existent. Outside employees are hired for an exorbitant amount, and because HR is not confidential, everyone knows rack other's salary, making for bitterness and nastiness across the board.
    Certain people are treated differently and allowed to get away with anything. This is so very evident with a select few around the corporate office.
    The CEO does not step up for employees and he remains unreachable and awkward.
    The entire HR staff is incompetent and no one goes to them for anything because you will never get assistance or a good answer, and they are not confidential at all. Everyone knows every detail of a complaint or termination or salary.
    Women are sexually harassed and no one listens to them, knows the signs, or understands that the women need their jobs so they don't say anything because HR is so bad that everyone fears retaliation - because retaliation is a real thing here at corporate.
    Everyone is for themselves.
    It is an extremely HOSTILE work environment.

Advice to Management

You have people who are severely unhappy yet you do nothing about it. In fact, you have been taking more than giving. The latest round of insurance changes proves it - different plans for different floors; the execs get a different, better plan, and the workers are stuck with $6000+ deductibles. They execs can afford it, we can't!!
    Why am I surprised when our security is so lax that someone let a potential active shooter in the building and nothing happened to that person who clearly broke policy and let the person in!! We all could have DIED and that person is still walking around like they did nothing and does not care! NO ONE CARES!
    Also, can someone tell me why certain people are allowed to come and go as they please? Some even leave before 3:30pm most days! Some people live in another state and only come to work when they feel like it. The rest of us would like that choice too, "when we feel like it". Our posted hours are 8-5. There are quite a few who would like to leave at 3:30 too, so I guess we can just do that without fear of repercussion since others do it. Manager discretion is a big, fat joke and needs to be curtailed.
    My point of all of this is, there is no consistency, no follow through, nothing is proactive, and this place really does not care about the employees despite the values they are spewing. They can shove as many Feed Forward activities down our throats, but it still doesn't change the fact that employees are treated poorly, there is no diversity, and it is a completely HOSTILE working environment. Something needs to change, starting with HR.
    Top down change is needed - not bottom up.