Hart Energy Publishing LLLP Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Hart Energy Publishing LLLP CEO Richard A. Eichler
Richard A. Eichler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Director of New Business"

Current Employee - Director of New Business Midstream and Digital in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

energy markets are mending, the people, vacation days, paid time off, benefits. I'm glad to be able to work for Hart again because they had given me an opportunity before that I left during the energy market downturn. I was overjoyed when they reached back out to me as things are recovering. I think that says a lot about the management here.

Cons

It's Long commute for me.

Advice to Management

Create more value added, multi-channel packages that require a contract. Have about five of them that you can tweak here and there within reason to form a customized solution for an advertising client.

"Downward Spiral"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy drive to work with ample parking. There are some genuine people but that is less than a handful and they definitely aren't in management.

Cons

Management there is the worst. They literally have no idea what they're doing. Look through some of the reviews which proves how incompetent they are. Hart is hemorrhaging and the people still there are only there due to legacy and not by brilliance. Trust me on that one. Egos are huge there and power trips remind me of short-man syndrome. Nevertheless, management there will say anything for you to stay, for you to believe their nonsense, and to save face when everyone else in the company knows that they are full of it. All the good people were smart enough to leave the company or got recruited. The people still there weren't picked off by another company because they don't have the skills to work at a real company. Do yourself a favor and not waste your time here. Oh, and pay is terrible.

Advice to Management

You're not as great as you think you are. You're not even close to being on par with the big boys, so get that out of your inflated head.

"It was a Good Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers
    Supervisor
    Work from home on occasions
    Benefits
    Time Off
    Company functions
    Location

Hart Energy can be a decent place to work but the negatives can outweigh the positives sometimes. I learned a lot about the oil and gas industry and about printing processes. The company was up to date on equipment and software. They would make up for the low salary and raises by having various incentives like an annual internal awards for design and editorial depts., annual holiday parties, and giveaways and contests. The monetary prizes and other prizes were great IF you won. The benefits were pretty good when I first started. It was a good stepping stone to something better.

Cons

Dishonesty
    Low pay and raises
    Too much work for the pay
    Benefits
    Upper Management is clueless about
    The list goes on...

I was hired for a position but it got demoted to a lower status/paying position. They were still paying within my salary range so I took the job under the impression that there would be a chance for a promotion after a year. Well I was there was almost 4 years and nothing. Supervisor was hardly in the office after about 2 years of me being there so I really wasn't able to learn much except for what I learned on my own. Was told that the CEO expected us to work over 40 hours a week...on salary which means no overtime. Not with those salaries. People will throw you under the bus to save themselves even when they did something wrong. Graphic Designers were constantly being used as scapegoats because of the incompetence of others. Things have gotten worse since the oil and gas downturn. Like I said in the positive review, they would have incentives like holiday parties and giveaways but that money could have been used to give a mighty good end of year bonus.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap and pay your employees at least the market value rate, especially when they are constantly being overworked and under appreciated. Start being honest with people and make good on things that were basically promised during hiring process.

"OK, far from great"

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

It's a place that is willing to hire people fresh out of college, which is valuable for recent grads, but I can't say with confidence that you'll necessarily be better for the experience. They offer quite a few office holidays--use those to look for a new job. I was glad to be hired on at first, but several people left or were fired within the first couple of weeks I was on the job. It didn't take long to see that there were some big problems with the company.

Cons

The pay is terrible and I heard while working there that C-level employees actually brag about how little they can get away with paying people. There are talented people there, but they don't stay long. They gain skills and move on to a better job/employer. There are people in roles they aren't qualified for....many ignorant people.

Advice to Management

Burn to the ground and start over.

"You are kidding me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much. It's a job. I come in. I leave. I get paid. Not well, but it's better than nothing.

Cons

Management has egos as if they work for a fortune 500 company. Your local car dealership has a higher revenue than Hart. The "executive" titles they give to their employees to make them felt important would be equivalent to lower level management at a real company AT MOST. I highly suggest not working for them. Their business model is not going to survive, especially with the amateurs in "leadership". Retire already and get rid of the glorified managers who think they work for Google. Lol. Marketing has even lowered itself to offering discounts and gimmicky prizes. Marketing is way out of touch and trying to hard to fit in with today's "cool kids". Laughable and embarrassing. CDO is extremely immature and has no place being in a leadership position.

Advice to Management

Since we're losing so much money, how soon until we get bought out?

6. "Enjoyed working here"

Pros

Hard work was always rewarded and recognized, managers worked to ensure employees weren't overworked and there was a great respect for the work-family balance.

Cons

Unfortunately. the oil and gas downswing has taken its toll on some of the publications.

Advice to Management

Restore your staffing levels when the industry improves. Publications can only be great when they're properly staffed.

"Stay away or leave"

Pros

Once again management posts a fake review. It's the one with 5 stars.notice how that post addresses management and how they act? This says CEO told Marketing Executive to post this. The fact that they are this obvious should let you know the limited ability of management there. It's a microcosm of Hart.

Cons

Philandering, out of touch, uneducated, immoral, unethical, sexis, toxic, cheesy, old farts, you name it.

Advice to Management

Quit while.you can. Hart is getting beat in every way. A guy working out of his garage basically took millions away from Hart because they are incompetent.

8. "Dynamic environment"

Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse and highly educated work force, strong team of colleagues

Cons

Complex product offerings and overlapping chains of command

Advice to Management

Follow through on policy decisions and strategic plans

"Bleak Outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Some nice peers. The property management has some special occasions that has free food for tenants. Peers help out with finding other jobs. People who leave will recruit you for something more stable, so be kind to your peers. Hart doesn't monitor web traffic significantly so you can spend most of your day job hunting for a real job. Not a JV company trying to play in a varsity league.

Cons

Terrible management. Everyone is tied up in politics. Backstabbing. Power trips. Egos. Philandering. Hostile. Toxic. Lies. Territorial. Don't believe a word management has to say. Rumor is Hart is on the marketing looking to be sold. Of course management will deny this and laugh it off.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to investors who will get rid of management and start over with a clean slate of educated and competent management. Too many fake it till you make it...aka fake it until you understand it managers.

10. "Healthy working environment"

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

Lots of exposure to oil and gas industry.
    Brilliant people to work with.
    Happy work environment

Cons

The work can sometimes be repetitive and boring.
    The office structure/architecture doesn't encourage much interaction.