Hart Energy Publishing LLLP Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Hart Energy Publishing LLLP CEO Richard A. Eichler
Richard A. Eichler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"It was a Good Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers
    Supervisor
    Work from home on occasions
    Benefits
    Time Off
    Company functions
    Location

Hart Energy can be a decent place to work but the negatives can outweigh the positives sometimes. I learned a lot about the oil and gas industry and about printing processes. The company was up to date on equipment and software. They would make up for the low salary and raises by having various incentives like an annual internal awards for design and editorial depts., annual holiday parties, and giveaways and contests. The monetary prizes and other prizes were great IF you won. The benefits were pretty good when I first started. It was a good stepping stone to something better.

Cons

Dishonesty
    Low pay and raises
    Too much work for the pay
    Benefits
    Upper Management is clueless about
    The list goes on...

I was hired for a position but it got demoted to a lower status/paying position. They were still paying within my salary range so I took the job under the impression that there would be a chance for a promotion after a year. Well I was there was almost 4 years and nothing. Supervisor was hardly in the office after about 2 years of me being there so I really wasn't able to learn much except for what I learned on my own. Was told that the CEO expected us to work over 40 hours a week...on salary which means no overtime. Not with those salaries. People will throw you under the bus to save themselves even when they did something wrong. Graphic Designers were constantly being used as scapegoats because of the incompetence of others. Things have gotten worse since the oil and gas downturn. Like I said in the positive review, they would have incentives like holiday parties and giveaways but that money could have been used to give a mighty good end of year bonus.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap and pay your employees at least the market value rate, especially when they are constantly being overworked and under appreciated. Start being honest with people and make good on things that were basically promised during hiring process.

"OK, far from great"

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

It's a place that is willing to hire people fresh out of college, which is valuable for recent grads, but I can't say with confidence that you'll necessarily be better for the experience. They offer quite a few office holidays--use those to look for a new job. I was glad to be hired on at first, but several people left or were fired within the first couple of weeks I was on the job. It didn't take long to see that there were some big problems with the company.

Cons

The pay is terrible and I heard while working there that C-level employees actually brag about how little they can get away with paying people. There are talented people there, but they don't stay long. They gain skills and move on to a better job/employer. There are people in roles they aren't qualified for....many ignorant people.

Advice to Management

Burn to the ground and start over.

"Keep Looking"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better-than-average holiday package and vacation, opportunity to make contacts in energy industry.

Cons

Terrible pay and clueless senior management. There is a very strong silo culture with departments that scarcely talk to each other, some of which are lorded over by prima donnas who play favorites -- and keep their jobs by buttering up the CEO. Being an "FOR" -- friend of Rich (the CEO) is crucial to getting ahead or surviving.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like the asset you say they are and start planning ahead. Don't tell people how valuable they are and then lay off a huge chunk of staff when business slows down.

"Uninspired company with poor pay"

Pros

As another review mentioned, the hours were kind of flexible. Many people show up and leave on their own accord, and there doesn't seem to be any recourse for doing so. It is a good place, and is known for being a place, where young people can build skills and their resumes.

Cons

Hart is a notoriously bad company in terms of compensation, at least for the younger, newer employees--the company skews a bit older (i.e., many baby boomers). Because they pay so poorly, the turnover rate is quite high. Those skills are acquired and quickly taken to competitors.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to begin. Hart is a very poorly managed company. It's not a company with a clear vision, and unfortunately, it's not headed anywhere good without a serious overhaul. Management doesn't understand that, while the company doesn't have a bad reputation, the one it has isn't great. Hart is not nearly as important to the oil and gas industry as it prefers to believe it is.

"Looks great at first but not equipped to handle downturn"

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

Fantastic PTO, overall friendly employees and non-hostile environment. Free covered parking is very nice.

Cons

Hires new people for positions that have been vacant for 6+ months at 80k or more then has layoffs the next week. Constantly says no more lay offs this calendar year then almost immediately has layoffs. If short handed, they will ask people from other departments to do work that is not in their job description. They said there "might not be" 401k matching this year....that information is pretty important to know before you do max contributions. They also will make huge decisions about product lines and magazines and not tell a single employee it affects until you hear first hand from the customer. No room for salary negotiation no matter how much work you've taken on from the layoffs.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone in the loop. This can definitely improve the moral that is currently at rock bottom. I don't see many people staying by the end of the year.

"Disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO and paid holidays. Flexible work schedule.
    Good co-workers. I would say it's a great starting job. Learn and move on.

Cons

I read all the other reviews and I have to agree with all the comments written under Cons.

Pay is not competitive, favoritism and total disconnect.

Any issues that are brought up to HR and/or management are not addressed in a proper manner or if all. Sexual harassment and poor management.
    When upper management explains why they are having lay offs and how during this downturn in the industry they have to cut back and everyone should still work very hard and extra hours; there would be a hiring and salary freeze. However, the CEO and COO show up in new luxury cars! (Poor timing! And insensitive!)

Advice to Management

Open your eyes upper management. When you have an department manager that is running your business into the ground - maybe ask why and fix it! You hired the wrong person, throw your pride aside and make it right.

When a manager can't even communicate a business plan. There's a problem.

"Good place to gain (entry-level) experience, but not a long-term career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are friendly and some are fun to work with
    Office location is central
    O&G/energy industry is a stable place to have a job, particularly in Houston

Cons

Poor communication, particularly within management and between management and lower-level employees
    Lack of process and poor organization (company-wide) - very frustrating work environment
    Extremely high turnover - There are a few tenured employees, but the majority last between 1-3 years.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get feedback from your employees, then TAKE ACTION. A lot of talk and not enough execution.

"Very good at publishing, but needs a lot of improvement on the consulting side"

Pros

Autonomy in determining what kinds of issues to focus on, what data sources to use.
    Serious understaffing--a challenge to be dealt with, but, for motivated people, an opportunity to broaden their areas of expertise.

Cons

Top management does not understand energy consulting business--both from a service pricing standpoint and a technical expertise standpoint.
    Lack of upward mobility: the people in charge are in over their heads, have limited prospects to move elsewhere--and they know it.

Advice to Management

Hire someone to run consulting that has extensive, substantive experience--both in producing quality content and properly assessing and pricing consulting proposals.